Pork Liver, Liverwurst, Your Liver, Hepatitis E

lvysaur

I recently picked up some pork liverwurst, because I was too lazy to cook actual liver. The liverwurst is pink on the inside, indicating it's undercooked, so I figured I'd throw it on high in the toaster for a while.

Later that day (this was 2 days ago), I started feeling tired, and had a lack of appetite. I also developed a weird odor/taste in my upper throat that I had back when I was fasting, and that I also sometimes get after eating spinach. This lasted up until today, and is still ongoing, but better. I also noticed extremely rapid coarsening and rapid growth of my facial and nostril hair, and loss of scalp hair in the shower. Some of my hairs became so thick that if I plucked them out and rubbed them on my fingers, they would leave a pigment residue.

Turns out that pork liver is a particularly good source of Hepatitis E.

According to Jaminet's sources, leaving a virulent sample at 140°F for a whole hour only killed 80% of viruses. In my case, I put the meat, straight from the fridge, in the oven for about 10 minutes on 400°F. I'm not going to do a heat transfer calculation, but I think it's safe to say that wasn't sufficient to neutralize the virus.

In Japan (a country with significantly stricter food regulations than the US), 95% of pigs are infected with Hep E.

Well it's been nice knowing you...