Pope Francis says he is going to quit

gretchen

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pope- ... 17-n183721

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4180626.ece

He cites poor health, possibility of death, and Pope Benedict's precedent of stepping down as reasons.

The Pope before Benedict, Pope John Paul II, held the office for decades with vigor and joy. He never seemed to tire and was a source of genuine inspiration.

There is also the Dalai Lama, arguably the vicar of Christ for the East (my opinion), who has held his office not just for years, but for centuries.

What do you think? Is it ok for Pope Francis to quit? Or does the mere mention of doing so undermine his authenticity?

kiran

I wonder if he finds himself unequal to the task of moving forward. One pope stepping down on the basis of health is one thing, but two in a row?!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Strange times indeed.

He didn't say HE IS going to quit!

OP
G

gretchen

Such_Saturation said:
He didn't say HE IS going to quit!

Ok. He said he thought his whole papacy would be over in a few years, due to poor health, death, etc and because of the precedent of Benedict-- if he couldn't do it anymore, ie, be the Pope, he would step down. That to me is saying you are going to quit.

It might just be the phrasing: "if you can't go forward then I won't go either." What a thing to say. Is that the kind of thing the Lord would say? I don't think it is. The entire tone of it is wrong. If the Popes can make up their religion as they go--- and that is really my issue with it--- then we must begin to see the papacy as an elected political institution and not spiritual.

Imagine if Ray, who of course is not an elected official of any sort said, *well, Peatians, that's it, I'm gonna quit because so and so did and it's 2-3 years then I'm off to Heaven, goodbye and good luck*.

Well, ok, kind of ridiculous.

Admittedly, Pope JP was younger when he took office, and did not have as tough a world situation to deal with. Still, he got old and sick also and didn't give up.

Quitting is ok but only because Benedict did, and that's my whole problem with it: the way the Catholic Church makes right out of wrong and uses the human mind and reasoning to do so. No one can argue with them: popes didn't quit before, but now Francis can if he wants to. He doesn't even admit this. If he did, and said what I'm saying, which is no one quit before Benedict and I might also which I'm sorry for doing, it would be different. I admit it's really insufferable for me to call the Pope out on this but he's said and done all kinda of things which contradict.

And still I wouldn't see Ray Peat serving a military junta for a position of power, personally.

burtlancast

I think he's just realized how corrupt his institution really is.

pboy

BLASPHEMY!!! HE CANT QUIT!!! HOW DARE HE

honestly though, if I was him id quit too...id never get into that position in the first place. What a weird thing to be...I mean all the art and architecture of the Vatican is nice, but the whole scope of the organization, catholic religion...the sum total of psychopathy and programmed people is astounding...id sneak out at night and run as fast as I could

SQu

I know what you mean. Appealing one moment to the holiness of your position, I'm not sure if they actually say the pope is God - approved but certainly they use every method one can think of to inspire awe and massive respect - then the next to use the 'hey I'm only human , give me a break, hasn't everyone out there felt unwell at some stage ' sympathy getting approach - is to use one set of rules for one thing, another for the next. Plain old hypocrisy.

goodandevil

I heard that the refusal of eastern orthodkx serbians to subjugate themselves to tbe roman church is why the war in the 90s. Same thing with vietnan and the buddhists.

goodandevil

He's a jesuit ***hole- the same peo0le that killed lincoln. If he doesn't quit, someone should make him.

mt_dreams

goodandevil said:
post 104383 He's a jesuit ***hole- the same peo0le that killed lincoln. If he doesn't quit, someone should make him.

That's not a nice thing to say about another human, especially one who unlike all his predecessors, has tried to bridge the gap b/w old & new ways of looking at the world, which is not an easy thing to do with religious sectors. Maybe in my lifetime we'll even get one of them admitting that humans have been here for longer than 6000 years, and it will be thanks to the maverick ways of the current guy.

The Lincoln hit, much like the Jackson attempt, was ordered by the private banking cartel. Lincoln may be remembered for the war of the time, and his place in it, but both of theses Presidents biggest stand was directed at ridding the system of this type of money. It's the reason why no President in their right mind even brings this topic up, which makes the Kennedy attempt to finish Lincolns unfinished business even more noteworthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

gretchen said:
post 57753 Ok. He said he thought his whole papacy would be over in a few years, due to poor health, death, etc and because of the precedent of Benedict-- if he couldn't do it anymore, ie, be the Pope, he would step down. That to me is saying you are going to quit.

I don't understand the problem you are seeing.
This sounds to me like: when I am no longer fit to do the job well enough, I will resign.
Sounds entirely responsible to me. Do you want him to stay in the role if he gets advanced dementia or some other degenerative disease that makes it impossible for him to perform his duties adequately? Or that he shouldn't let an impediment like death take him out of the role? Or that he mustn't acknowledge that he will probably die some time?

mt_dreams said:
post 104400 That's not a nice thing to say about another human, especially one who unlike all his predecessors, has tried to bridge the gap b/w old & new ways of looking at the world, which is not an easy thing to do with religious sectors. Maybe in my lifetime we'll even get one of them admitting that humans have been here for longer than 6000 years, and it will be thanks to the maverick ways of the current guy.
:1

goodandevil

mt_dreams said:
post 104400
goodandevil said:
post 104383 He's a jesuit ***hole- the same peo0le that killed lincoln. If he doesn't quit, someone should make him.

That's not a nice thing to say about another human, especially one who unlike all his predecessors, has tried to bridge the gap b/w old & new ways of looking at the world, which is not an easy thing to do with religious sectors. Maybe in my lifetime we'll even get one of them admitting that humans have been here for longer than 6000 years, and it will be thanks to the maverick ways of the current guy.

The Lincoln hit, much like the Jackson attempt, was ordered by the private banking cartel. Lincoln may be remembered for the war of the time, and his place in it, but both of theses Presidents biggest stand was directed at ridding the system of this type of money. It's the reason why no President in their right mind even brings this topic up, which makes the Kennedy attempt to finish Lincolns unfinished business even more noteworthy.

It's not a nice thing to say, and it's never right to disrespect another human. Het, have you beard the story of Charles Chiniquy? He was a catholic priest in 1850's Chicago. He stood up against the misdeeds of the jesuits in his time, and Lincoln chose to defend him, believing in his innocence, and understanding the power arrayed against this man, who told the truth.

Popery has always controlled things, including the money system.

If you like what the jesuits have done, then move to tbe most totally catholic countries, such as brazil, and tell me what you think then. Pinochet's peo0le were educated at jesuit universities- was it for no reason the church was so closely involved with hitler? Why did vietnam become roman catholic, from being buddhist, after the war? Why were the truly orthodox serbians genocided? If we don't see through the lies, we will all witness the return of the dark ages of popery. It wasn't for no reason that Luther had such support. Please read tbe charles chiqinuy case.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom