Poor digestion of salted fluids

L

Lord Cola

When I drink milk, orange juice, water, or any other liquid with salt dissolved in them, I can feel that they sit in my gut unabsorbed*, and eventually cause bowel problems.

I don't have this problem when other osmotically active things like sugar or gelatin are dissolved in oj, milk or water, so my guess is osmotic pressure is not the main cause of the problem. What could be preventing salted liquids from getting absorbed properly?

Edit: *largely unabsorbed

Last edited by a moderator:

redsun

When I drink milk, orange juice, water, or any other liquid with salt dissolved in them, I can feel that they sit in my gut unabsorbed, and eventually cause bowel problems.

I don't have this problem when other osmotically active things like sugar or gelatin are dissolved in oj, milk or water, so my guess is osmotic pressure is not the main cause of the problem. What could be preventing salted liquids from getting absorbed properly?

That doesnt happen guaranteed. Milk may take a longer time to assimilate but even that is pretty quick. Of course you are going to feel it in your gut if your drinking so much liquid at once. It takes time for the body to absorb liquid. Probably should stop drinking massive amounts of liquid.

OP
L

Lord Cola

That doesnt happen guaranteed. Milk may take a longer time to assimilate but even that is pretty quick. Of course you are going to feel it in your gut if your drinking so much liquid at once. It takes time for the body to absorb liquid. Probably should stop drinking massive amounts of liquid.
It happens with small amounts of liquid. Even a cup of salted water can do it.

redsun

It happens with small amounts of liquid. Even a cup of salted water can do it.
It is getting assimilated it just takes time. There is no such thing as you describe unless you have some weird extremely rare water absorption disorder I have never heard of. But then you would die from dehydration. So yeh.

OP
L

Lord Cola

It is getting assimilated it just takes time. There is no such thing as you describe unless you have some weird extremely rare water absorption disorder I have never heard of. But then you would die from dehydration. So yeh.
I meant the salted liquids don't get absorbed nearly as well as unsalted liquids. Some of them must get absorbed. Reading the op again the wording does seem unclear.

Also salt seems to work better when it's used with solid foods and this doesn't cause the sensation of food being unabsorbed.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals