POO 101: Bowel Movements

Chemi

Just a few ideas for discussion:
-Frequency
-Appearance
-Changes: Before/After going Peat (no pun :lol: )

Was taught to pay attention to it during college (Naturopathic Nutrition)

Bristol Stool Chart for reference

Not exactly a pleasant topic, takes some guts to talk about :D

I've noticed a change from dark brown colors to yellow-orange and go 2-3 times a day now (previously 1 day) type 4 or 5 on bristol, seems like some foods I eat aren't being digested properly/long enough but that differs between different medical philosophies - especially peat.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Bristol_stool_chart.png
    Bristol_stool_chart.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,332

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Chart isnt displaying correctly for me.

Birdie

Regarding bowel movements in general, Peat has said that most Americans would consider good ones to be diarrhea. He doesn't seem concerned with the standard ideas about shape, hardness, and what's optimum.

This is another example of the way he has freed me from my preconceived ideas.

My take is that he considers the more the better... to a point, compared to the standard one a day belief we have. Those peoples with less colon cancer seem to have at least 3 a day. Shape and all were not part of that study that I remember.

I'm not exactly sure what Ray would consider that the average American would call diarrhea though! Just saying what he said in an interview on that.

gretchen

Yeah, I've tried to start this topic on other Peat forums without a lot of success.

I go more often on this diet so long as I keep my nutrients/calories up. If I restrict, it's harder to go. My bowels tend to be more like picture #1.

Ray-Z

Birdie said:
Regarding bowel movements in general, Peat has said that most Americans would consider good ones to be diarrhea. He doesn't seem concerned with the standard ideas about shape, hardness, and what's optimum.

This is another example of the way he has freed me from my preconceived ideas.

My take is that he considers the more the better... to a point, compared to the standard one a day belief we have. Those peoples with less colon cancer seem to have at least 3 a day. Shape and all were not part of that study that I remember.

I'm not exactly sure what Ray would consider that the average American would call diarrhea though! Just saying what he said in an interview on that.

Very interesting observations, Birdie. :thumbup: Thanks.

Do you recall in which interview Peat made these remarks?

Birdie

Ray,
I don't, but I usually listen to the Politics and Science ones. Usually the newer ones. I don't think it's in the Eluv interview. I wonder if there's something in Ray Peat's Brain?

Chemi

Ah that makes alot of sense Birdie :)

@noblessoblige, That's a pity since it's a parameter that is affected by alot of systems in the body! Not a sole diagnostic but definitely useful to observe (once people get over the social taboo)

@Charlie, I tried to use the [ img] [/img ] tags for the Wikipedia sourced page ("bristol stool chart")

As for colour is there any typical that you folks noticed? Its tricky since food choices affect it but I wonder if there's consistency to shade/color in accordance to bile secretion (if it's of any relevance). Just something I'm overtly cautious about, since recovering from starvation based diet but otherwise doing really well.. just a bit nit-picky :)

Ray-Z

Birdie said:
I don't, but I usually listen to the Politics and Science ones. Usually the newer ones. I don't think it's in the Eluv interview. I wonder if there's something in Ray Peat's Brain?

Thank you, Birdie. :mrgreen:

CrystalClear

LOL I was going to make a written comment then realised the thread was an older one and done with. I am new to Peating :) A month and a half. Have been checking my improvements with the new eating plan and can see that perhaps my intestine may have reduced inflammation (to put it more delicately) LOL

Birdie

LOL I was going to make a written comment then realised the thread was an older one and done with. I am new to Peating :) A month and a half. Have been checking my improvements with the new eating plan and can see that perhaps my intestine may have reduced inflammation (to put it more delicately) LOL
So funny.