Polyunsaturated Fat "Experiment"

stargazer1111

I have been eating a PUFA-deficient diet for a long time now. I was curious to see what would happen if I purposely ate a diet rich in PUFA. So, I began consuming between 20-30 grams of PUFA per day from sunflower oil, regular potato chips, poultry, pork, and peanuts.

Within a matter of weeks, my severe reactive hypoglycemia returned, my libido disappeared, I developed cold hands and feet again. Also, my brain function deteriorated. The mental issues I had when I was younger reappeared suddenly and I was doing and saying things that are not characteristic of the person I am now. Started feeling dark feelings of deep depression.

Switched back to a PUFA-deficient diet yesterday. Will never try this again.

Can confirm. Peat is right. Yikes...

Suikerbuik

I also experience a surge in inflammation and weird symptoms short after I increase PUFA intake. I wonder if there is an upregulation of COX enzymes due to limiting PUFA, causing one to be more sensitive?

L

lollipop

Fascinating @stargazer1111 !! Thank you for sharing. I have noticed days when I am forced to eat out socially or for work, I feel horrible the next day and spend a few weeks getting back to normal.

mujuro

Interesting. I had severe postprandial ”hypoglycemia” (adrenergic symptoms present but my BG was normal) when my thyroid crashed after screwing around with high dose T3 (bodybuilding).

Atman

I start to gain fat in the midsection and my skin gets more inflamed.
Both happens within just a couple of days.

Lynne

I've experimented with adding back some PUFA in the past but won't be trying it again. To varying degrees, depending on the amount of PUFA and duration consumed, I get aching knee and ankle joints when walking, acne, psoriasis on my elbows, keratosis pilaris, dry & cracked heels, seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, and a variety of other symptoms I can't recall off the top of my head, as it's been a while since I consumed PUFA at levels higher than a bare minimum.

lvysaur

I wonder if there is an upregulation of COX enzymes due to limiting PUFA, causing one to be more sensitive?

Anecdotally, I feel this as well. I think there's a similar mechanism with aspirin.

Elephanto

Nice reminder of what can happen, sometimes you feel overprotected when you're in a good situation and feel like it's not going to change much to add back some PUFA. I think its effect depends a lot on stress levels too as Peat mentioned all stressors trigger Arachidonic Acid release (answered this about cannabis being shown to trigger it) and the only times I eat crap repeatedly (mainly fries/poutine/onion rings cooked in canola, double cheeseburgers and some a&w burgers which are also mostly canola oil) is when I'm in a very low stress care-free period. No noticeable damage (not event visceral or general fat accumulation) except slightly less androgenic looks. For instance in these periods it won't be nearly enough to bring down my hand/feet temps but when I'm stressed even not eating O6 for months I often have this feature. There was a user who thought that his girlfriend adding a bit of O6 from butter in his meals made him age very quickly in a few months and this really contrasts with my observations. I would blame too frequent ejaculation and the stress that he admitted the relationship gave him way before the small addition of O6 (also implying that the aging effect would have happened without O6 in my opinion since the addition was so small to begin with). I also perceive some benefits from adding linoleic acid from times to times after almost completely abstaining for a long period which are that I feel that my intestinal barrier becomes stronger, skin looks a bit better and those are theoretical functions of LA. As winter is coming, I believe it is much more important to keep the dietary side optimal to favor metabolism, thyroid function and restrict stress levels while summer is so supportive that it is more forgiving on this side. I also think that part of the reason I don't get noticeable damage from these cheat meals is from normally eating almost no animal-based O6 (chicken and eggs would be important sources compared to lean beef/lamb which are the only animals I still eat sometimes) which in long-term seems to have a much more significant impact on AA levels than moderate linoleic acid intake since it involves an inefficient conversion. The few times I ate fried chicken I also rapidly got visual cues of the known estrogenic effects of O6 (though it could also be the phtalates in chicken) but never with fries.

Last edited:
But you guys obviously go for the worst crap out there... PUFAs or naw it’s going to be awful for health.

How about nuts and seeds that aren’t damn peanuts?

Elephanto

But you guys obviously go for the worst crap out there... PUFAs or naw it’s going to be awful for health.

How about nuts and seeds that aren’t damn peanuts?
And their sweet mycotoxins or the anti-androgenic phytoestrogens present in the vast majority of seeds? If you already supplement Vit E I don't think it would be much healthier and maybe even worse than some fast foods that are more "clean" (refined oils, cooked at high temp) if cals is a constant variable when comparing. Peat has suggested that all nuts and seeds are poisonous and I think this is mostly from the mold and mycotoxins they easily develop. Though some nuts have unique characteristics like walnuts which have been shown to improve cognition and they kind of look like human brains. I eat a piece or two from time to time trying to experiment on wether or not net benefits are present in moderate consumption + regularly using antiseptics.

Btw peanuts may not be the worst ones, for instance they find here lowered serum Endotoxins after the consumption of peanuts compared to the "control biscuit" :
Effect of a high-fat meal containing conventional or high-oleic peanuts on post-prandial lipopolysaccharide concentrations in overweight/obese men. - PubMed - NCBI
Both peanuts and citruses contain the anti-endotoxins flavanoid Eriodictyol :
Eriodictyol Attenuates LPS-Induced Neuroinflammation, Amyloidogenesis, and Cognitive Impairments via the Inhibition of NF-κB in Male C57BL/6J Mice ... - PubMed - NCBI

raypeatclips

Fascinating @stargazer1111 !! Thank you for sharing. I have noticed days when I am forced to eat out socially or for work, I feel horrible the next day and spend a few weeks getting back to normal.

I noticed you used the word "forced." Have you tried to go out to eat and enjoy it? Check the menu before you go and decide on a "safe" meal you could eat and actually look forward to? I felt the same as you before but recently went on holiday for a week and just picked out what I wanted to eat when we ate. I went out 3x a day to eat, while trying to make low PUFA choices but im sure I consumed a large amount of PUFA compared to my usual diet, and to be honest I felt absolutely fine. I thought I should be pretty saturated by now, and a week shouldn't change my whole life, and felt fine.

I've wondered if my mental anguish was the reason for strong reactions to restaraunt food before.

L

lollipop

I noticed you used the word "forced." Have you tried to go out to eat and enjoy it? Check the menu before you go and decide on a "safe" meal you could eat and actually look forward to? I felt the same as you before but recently went on holiday for a week and just picked out what I wanted to eat when we ate. I went out 3x a day to eat, while trying to make low PUFA choices but im sure I consumed a large amount of PUFA compared to my usual diet, and to be honest I felt absolutely fine. I thought I should be pretty saturated by now, and a week shouldn't change my whole life, and felt fine.

I've wondered if my mental anguish was the reason for strong reactions to restaraunt food before.
Thanks for the catch of the word forced :):
I need to unpack it a bit. “Forced” in that I prefer my own cooking! I do enjoy hanging out with friends and those restaurant eating out events. AND seriously both my husband and I walk away saying, “your(my) food tastes better and is waaaay fresher.”

I was visiting a relative for a week and ate all the regular pufa heavy stuff. All kinds of symptoms within days. Weird feeling in the brain, heart pains, lower back pains, greasy skin, no energy. It's absolutely mind-blowing to me how people go through life eating that crap.

@Elephanto im not into eating seeds and nuts for days either. But i was curious about reintroducing some of them. The whole junk food PUFA reintroduction / high arachidonic acid feeling wrong isn’t breaking news to me.

Walnuts every once in a while sound reasonable!

Runenight201

Oh man potato chips and sunflower oil...

I think if you had just stuck with the lean cuts of poultry/pork and occasional nuts/seeds you wouldn’t have degenerated so hard if noticed anything different at all.

Never go full dgaf mode, but there’s certainly room for some leeway.

Jing

I was visiting a relative for a week and ate all the regular pufa heavy stuff. All kinds of symptoms within days. Weird feeling in the brain, heart pains, lower back pains, greasy skin, no energy. It's absolutely mind-blowing to me how people go through life eating that crap.
Without fish oil I have penis pain and lots of dribbling after going wee, without omega 6 I have really dry face and cold legs and without them I have no libido and bad erections I think some people need to have polyunsaturated fats.

Without fish oil I have penis pain and lots of dribbling after going wee, without omega 6 I have really dry face and cold legs and without them I have no libido and bad erections I think some people need to have polyunsaturated fats.

Are you lean? People don’t need fats when their fat stores are loaded and spilling over.

However essential fats are, huh, essential. I’d say if you’re skinny a 2:1 ratio of omega 3:6 works well but 1:1 is good too. I usually get 10g of om3 from fatty fish and seeds.

Jing

Are you lean? People don’t need fats when their fat stores are loaded and spilling over.

However essential fats are, huh, essential. I’d say if you’re skinny a 2:1 ratio of omega 3:6 works well but 1:1 is good too. I usually get 10g of om3 from fatty fish and seeds.
Not that lean but not fat either.