Polysorbate 80 Users

Hevel

I tried it twice, both times resulted in heavy shedding, not sure I am going to try it again.

jacob

I've used it a few times at one week intervals. I've also been doing scalp massages for several weeks. Anecdotally, I've found that the polysorbate seems to decrease the scalp elasticity I've achieved through the massages. I'll try the polysorbate a few more times but I'll likely drop it.

tfcjesse

I've been using it daily for a few weeks now. Definitely an increase in shedding, but I've been told that this is to be expected and is a sign of the treatment working (reminiscent of what I was told to expect at the start of taking Fin)... If the shedding continues after another week I'll likely drop it.

tallglass13

I love the stuff. It makes my scalp feel very clean for several days. It feels like it cleans any junk that may be clogging the follicle. im 3 weeks in, only used 3 times, and feels like my hair and scalp going in positive direction. When I rub my hand over my shaved head, It feels fuller, and I like that my scalp is never "greasy" anymore

Mossy

There is a good ongoing thread on it: Why I Regret Giving Hair Loss Advice And A Major Breakthrough .

I did not see any regrowth results after 3 months of use, but it's fair to say that is too short of a time span. I am considering reincorporating it back into my regimen; though, I already do so much stuff, I have no time left.

brix

I love the stuff. It makes my scalp feel very clean for several days. It feels like it cleans any junk that may be clogging the follicle. im 3 weeks in, only used 3 times, and feels like my hair and scalp going in positive direction. When I rub my hand over my shaved head, It feels fuller, and I like that my scalp is never "greasy" anymore

Buzzed my head to a number 2 but I haven’t noticed any less hair fall.

I notice hairs on my fingers when applying it, which I do not like doing.

My scalp and hair does feel healthier though

tfcjesse

I read that polysorbate 80 is estrogenic. Wondering if this is the healthiest thing to apply daily to our scalps... I remember trying aloe vera gel when it was mentioned around here and clearly noticed the estrogenic effects after applying it ( they went away once I stopped ).

Also found this, for whatever it's worth:

Last year, I decided to try polysorbate 80 to treat my hair loss. I knew ahead of time that there would be very little, if any, chance of it working, but I was curious nevertheless. (I am researcher, and I suffer from hair loss as well.)

The stuff is very inexpensive (at least compared to other hair-loss remedies, all of which are usually extremely overpriced), so I didn’t really have much to lose by giving it a go. (You can purchase eight ounce bottles of polysorbate 80 through Puritan’s Pride for approximately five dollars per bottle, and the Puritan’s Pride version also contains biotin and niacin which have benefits of their own in treating hair loss. As far as buying polysorbate 80 goes, they are a good source to acquire it from.)

One of the problems with hair-loss treatments is that people who use them simply do not have enough patience and do not give them enough time to work. They expect “overnight” results, and if they do not see results after a few weeks, they give up. For example, I’ve spent countless hours on various hair-loss forums reading user reviews regarding various hair-loss remedies, and I noticed that people would commonly dismiss various treatments as being non-effective — even though they admitted to only using the product for a weeks or for a couple of months. Chances are that the products would NOT have worked anyway, but if you are going to use a product, you must give it time to work and give it a fair trial — before dismissing it, otherwise, you’ll never really know if it was, indeed, a sham product or one that may have eventually produced results had more time been given. (As a general rule, any hair-loss product should be used for a minimum of at least 12 months before any appreciable will be seen.)

I did not want to fall into this trap myself, so I made a commitment to use the product for at least a year and then went ahead and ordered 30 bottles of the stuff, all at once, so that I would have it on hand for my planned use. (I ordered 30 bottles because I didn’t want to run out during the course of my treatment, and plus, I figured that I would be more committed to use it having already bought and paid for it all.)

I used it every day for over a year without missing one single day. I applied it each morning and left it on for at least 30 minutes before washing it out. On many days, though, I would leave it on for an hour or more. The stuff is very viscous and messy to apply, very similar to honey. In other words, it’s an ordeal to use, and one can easily lose their motivation to apply it if they’re not fully committed.

My results:

After using the product every single day for approximately 14 months, I did not see any results of any kind whatsoever. It simply did not work for me, and I would not expect that it would work for anyone else either. I would not recommend it.

I've been using it for a few weeks and have noticed an increase in shedding. Whether that is beneficial or not for hair I can't figure out...

JDreamer

Now we got jokers in here claiming P80 is estrogenic? Yikes man - what is happening to this site?

If the shedding has not decreased then perhaps said person's hair shedding/loss is related to an entirely separate mechanism which P80 doesn't resolve. As for me, after 2.5 months hair quality continues to remain outstanding and major shedding halted. The thickness up top in the previously diffused area continues to increase.

Now if only I could find a regrowth protocol to pair with it.

JDreamer

Yup.

The overly greasy feeling of excessive sebum is gone.

Inaut

Bringing this back to life. Anybody still using PB80? Atom Bergstrom mentioned it in his most recent OneRadioNetwork interview as a hair loss aid. I’ve read it before but I don’t know how interested I am in trying it.

He also mentioned 100 proof vodka as an old remedy as well.

Orangeyouglad

Bringing this back to life. Anybody still using PB80? Atom Bergstrom mentioned it in his most recent OneRadioNetwork interview as a hair loss aid. I’ve read it before but I don’t know how interested I am in trying it.

He also mentioned 100 proof vodka as an old remedy as well.

I haven't used it in a while. It did make things feel clean, but after a day or two, things felt the same. I'm not sure how good it is as a long term treatment.