POLL: Which split helps YOU lose the most fat?

POLL: Which split helps YOU lose the most fat?

• Low Fat

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Low Carb

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Low Protein

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Just count calories.

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
Hi guys, I realise this topic has been done to death, but I checked the forum and didn't find anything in the way of a simple poll on the subject. Please point me in the direction of an older poll if it exists!

Vileplume

I put "none of the above" because I think the macro breakdown is really just a tool for achieving the actual weight loss factor: a high metabolic rate. That's why Peat always talks about milk drinkers as being historically leaner than the average--milk drinkers, from the calcium, sugar, and protein, have high metabolic rates.

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes." Ray Peat

OP
T
Hey guys, thanks for your input and references. I think it's important to note that I'm asking what YOUR experience has been, not what Peat has said on the subject. It'd be interesting to see what your experiences are in the context of Peat lit.

Vileplume

Goat milk-based diet, even with high fat (150g+) and high sugar (300g+), along with thyroid supplementation has helped me lose about 20 pounds in a few months and keep it off. Hopefully this is a long-term trend.

it seems like if you have low thyroid you will gain weight if you eat the ray peat diet, so high sugar/high calorie diet and your temperature is below 98.6, you will probably be gaining weight, check your temperature x3 a day and see what its at. you can buy one of those heat lamp, red light things at home depot or lowes, if you start using it, it can make your temp hit a higher level, along with all the other "ray peat" things

Hey guys, thanks for your input and references. I think it's important to note that I'm asking what YOUR experience has been, not what Peat has said on the subject. It'd be interesting to see what your experiences are in the context of Peat lit.
It has been my experience that lowfat makes me lose fat the quickest. Ray Peat is right. I have subscribed to low carb/keto (4 months and it was the worst), vegetarian, counted calories, did mono diets, lemonade fast, water fast and low fat is the healthiest, calmest and pleasant way to lose weight for me, with lots of honey, sugar and fruit, shrimp and nonfat/lowfat milk.

Cow

I'm a 56yo female and can't lose fat. I've read every thread here on this topic and tried different macro ratios, high protein, very low fat, different amounts and intensities of exercise, various meal timing, and finally went on thyroid (temps are normal but TSH is a bit above normal), which only made me anxious as most supplements do. Don't know what else to do. Since menopause my body seems to want to be 20 pounds heavier and that's that. I'm almost at the point of just accepting it, but I don't like it and can't fit into my clothes! So annoying!

I'm a 56yo female and can't lose fat. I've read every thread here on this topic and tried different macro ratios, high protein, very low fat, different amounts and intensities of exercise, various meal timing, and finally went on thyroid (temps are normal but TSH is a bit above normal), which only made me anxious as most supplements do. Don't know what else to do. Since menopause my body seems to want to be 20 pounds heavier and that's that. I'm almost at the point of just accepting it, but I don't like it and can't fit into my clothes! So annoying!
Welcome to the forum Cow! I like your sense of humor. Mono diets and calorie restriction was how I kept my weight in check for many years, but finally upping my sugar intake, via raw honey AND coffee intake too, AND lower fats, as RP has suggested, finally got the fat to succumb. My intention was to lose an estimated net weight of 5 to 8 pounds, 4 months ago, losing X amount of fat and gaining X amount of muscle, but I am 14 pounds down now. I think giving up big meals is really helpful, but small meals all day aren't the answer either, as food is constantly on the brain. I hope you find the right balance fo yourself.

Cow

Thank you Rinse! I don't want to take this poll off topic, but needless to say, I have read all your threads. I did go up a bit in sugar and coffee (but can only have coffee in the morning as I am a slow metabolizer of it and I get insomnia if I drink it after noon), and I also did skim milk (yuck!) and coffee without a beloved slick of cream (waah!!) and lost 3-4 pounds but then nothing for 4 weeks, and life is too short, so I went back to full fat milk and a bit of cream in my coffee. That weight loss held but nothing further. We need a thread for older ladies!

OccamzRazer

I eat high-fat all the time. When I want to lose fat without losing muscle, I lower carbs a little, down to maybe 20% of calories.

Worked for physical culturists up until the advent of steroid use, and still works for me!

Thank you Rinse! I don't want to take this poll off topic, but needless to say, I have read all your threads. I did go up a bit in sugar and coffee (but can only have coffee in the morning as I am a slow metabolizer of it and I get insomnia if I drink it after noon), and I also did skim milk (yuck!) and coffee without a beloved slick of cream (waah!!) and lost 3-4 pounds but then nothing for 4 weeks, and life is too short, so I went back to full fat milk and a bit of cream in my coffee. That weight loss held but nothing further. We need a thread for older ladies!
Girl I am 58! I am your older lady ?

OP
T
Goat milk-based diet, even with high fat (150g+) and high sugar (300g+), along with thyroid supplementation has helped me lose about 20 pounds in a few months and keep it off. Hopefully this is a long-term trend.
Thanks for your reply. Do you find the goat milk a significant change to cow milk? Anything to do with the opioids?

OP
T
It has been my experience that lowfat makes me lose fat the quickest. Ray Peat is right. I have subscribed to low carb/keto (4 months and it was the worst), vegetarian, counted calories, did mono diets, lemonade fast, water fast and low fat is the healthiest, calmest and pleasant way to lose weight for me, with lots of honey, sugar and fruit, shrimp and nonfat/lowfat milk.
Thanks Rinse. It's great to hear the Peat recommendations have worked so well for you! Have you used shrimp to replace other meats / muscle meats or are you using shrimp almost as a supplement, for the nutritional benefits? I hope I'm making sense? i.e. Did you swap to shrimp as a better protein source, or did you add it to your other protein sources?

OP
T
I eat high-fat all the time. When I want to lose fat without losing muscle, I lower carbs a little, down to maybe 20% of calories.

Worked for physical culturists up until the advent of steroid use, and still works for me!
That's interesting, thanks! Just a few questions if you don't mind.

What are your carb sources?
What's your protein intake like?
What's your current muscle mass / bf?
Are you still very physically active?

Counting calories.
Not being estrogen dominant, estrogen causes me to binge eat.
I prefer reducing fat intake more than carb.

Thanks Rinse. It's great to hear the Peat recommendations have worked so well for you! Have you used shrimp to replace other meats / muscle meats or are you using shrimp almost as a supplement, for the nutritional benefits? I hope I'm making sense? i.e. Did you swap to shrimp as a better protein source, or did you add it to your other protein sources?
Something about red meat is not good when I want to lose fat. It is too heavy and slows down my digestion, and shellfish is the opposite. It is most forgiving in lean steak form cooked on the rare side.

EDIT: Whole milk stalls my fat loss too.

Last edited:

Vileplume

Thanks for your reply. Do you find the goat milk a significant change to cow milk? Anything to do with the opioids?
Yes, quite a significant change in regards to how my intestines respond. Perhaps its the A1 protein in cow's milk (vs the sometimes more-easily digested A2), or the fact that the cow's milk had vitamins A and D added (along with the toxic crap that goes into those vitamin packs to emulsify it). The A1 protein is the one that contains beta-caseomorphine-7 (BCM-7), which is the opioid peptide. Cow's milk has BCM-7, and goat's milk doesn't.

I respond very well mentally and digestively to goat's milk--it makes me more talkative, aware, confident, and I started dropping the weight as soon as I switched most of my meat over to goat milk.

This is a related and interesting thread about goat's milk and fat gain: Goat’s Milk Intake Prevents Obesity, Hepatic Steatosis and Insulin Resistance in Mice Fed A High-Fat Diet

I also wrote an article about A1 vs. A2 milk: A1 beta-casein vs A2 beta-casein: implications for gut health and overall wellbeing - Tyler Webb A Mind And Body Writer

2300-2500 calories a day with 150g protein. I don't pay attention to fat or carbs. Hill sprints are the great equalizer...gets me more shredded than a julienne salad. Context: I am 6'3", 200lbs, physical job, and active with climbing, hunting, and hiking outside of that. When the lean-out occurs, I go to maintenance. Bottom line, people generally eat too much.

Last edited: