Policosanol Is Antiviral And A Potent Inducer Of Anti-aging Gene Klotho

haidut

Forum Supporter
This post is a good complement to the recent ones I did on androgens, estrogens and their opposing effects on the expression of the anti-aging gene Klotho. While I was doing research on that gene, I had a "random" thought pop up in my mind. It is well-known that some Caribbean countries have a very high numbers of centenarians per capita. This is considered as a type of longevity "paradox" since most of those countries are also known for their high consumption of sugar cane alcohols (mostly rum) as well as their heavy smoking habits (mostly cigars). While their relatively stress-free lifestyle certainly contributes to their low rates of diseases and long life, I suspected that there may be a dietary factor involved as well. Cuban doctors (a Caribbean country) started publishing studies as early as the 1970s demonstrating remarkable pro-health effects of the very long chain (VLC) saturated fatty acid alcohols (FAA) known as policosanol. Those FAA are extracted mainly from sugar cane, but are also present in wheat germ oil and certain types of vitamin E extracted from wheat germ oil in a manner that preserves the contents of policosanol. Coincidentally, when people email Ray Peat about the benefits of vitamin E, he consistently replies that it was the presence of policosanol in vitamin E that was responsible for a good deal of the benefits seen with vitamin E administration studies performed in the first half of the 20th century. In light of the high consumption of policosanol in Caribbean countries, the studies on beneficial effects of policosanol, and Peat's statements I wondered if policosanol may have some specific anti-aging effects in addition to the overall systemic benefit. Well, the studies below seem to indicate that policosanol increases expression of Klotho by 4-10 fold in just 24 hours after administration, and as such may be therapeutic for cancer. While that is great news in and of itself, it also suggests additional benefit of policosanol consumption, especially for males. Considering the post about androgens/estrogens and Klotho I mentioned above, it suggests that policosanol may have an androgenic effect as activation of androgen receptor (AR) was necessary for the induction of Klotho by androgens and the suppression of AR was behind the ablating effects of estrogens. Since activation of AR usually means suppression of estrogen signalling and/or estrogen synthesis, it suggests policosanol may have anti-estrogenic effects. Considering vitamin E is itself an estrogen receptor (ER) antagonist and aromatase inhibitor (AI), it makes perfect sense that the synergy between these anti-estrogenic substances in the original vitamin E formulations would produce the robust results seen in studies done before 1950s, which abated significantly when the production methods of vitamin E were modified so that the policosanol was removed. Oh, and last but not least, it appears that policosanol has potent-antiviral effects, including against SARS-COV-2 (the cause of COVID-19), which are likely at least partly due to the increased Klotho gene expression, but may also be due to the protective effects of saturated fats (SFA) against COVID-19.

Metadichol, a novel nano lipid emulsion for the treatment of diabetes

"...Metadichol (US patent 8,722,093) is a nano emulsion of long-chain alcohols found in many foods. It is commonly called policosanol and is present in foods such as rice, sugar cane, wheat and peanuts. "

https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_Anti-aging_Klotho_Gene_in_Cancer_Cell_Lines

"...Klotho is an anti-aging protein that is mostly secreted by the kidneys, the brain, and the thyroid. It plays a significant role in regulating kidney function and vascular health. Klotho gene is named after "the Spinner" (Clotho from Greek mythology), the goddess who spins the thread of life. Klotho is a transmembrane protein known to be a co-receptor for Fibroblast Growth Factor-23. Klotho gene is expressed in a variety of tissues changes in the levels are associated with many diseases. Klotho is a tumor suppressor in breast cancer and its expression is reduced in human pancreatic adenocarcinoma, and treatment with klotho inhibits the growth of pancreatic cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Growing evidence suggests that an increase in KL expression may be beneficial for age-related diseases such as arteriosclerosis and diabetes. It remains a challenge today to induce Klotho expression. Herein we show that treating pancreatic cancer cells PANC1, MIAPACA and COLO-205 with Metadichol® a novel food based lipid emulsion of long chain alcohols at picogram/ml, concentration led to a 4-10 fold increase in Klotho expression as seen quantitative RT-PCR. These results suggest the use of Metadichol® given its constituents that are present in foods we consume every day is a novel therapeutic intervention for pancreatic cancer and other diseases."

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-34021/v5/8d0181cc-2a5d-4fef-b030-7bd4c2c9d4bc.pdf

"...Metadichol®, a nano lipid formulation of long-chain alcohols, has been shown to inhibit TMPRSS2 (EC50 96 ng/ml). Compared to the inhibitor camostat mesylate (EC50 26000 ng/ml), it is 270 times more potent. Additionally, Metadichol® is also a weak inhibitor of ACE2 at 31 µg/ml. Further a live virus assay in Caco2 cells, Metadichol® inhibited SARS-CoV-2 replication with an EC90 of 0.16 µg/ml...Metadichol inhibits SARS-COV-2 virus and since it a non toxic molecule can be easily tested in humans and as it has LD 50 of over 5000 mg/kilo and could help mitigate the crisis facing the world today."

Mauritio

What would the HED be for klotho increase?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What would the HED be for klotho increase?

Human studies show that 20mg daily is probably optimal as higher doses are not more beneficial for things like lowering cholesterol/inflammation, increasing endurance or lowering risk of CVD. That dose is more than enough to reach the picogram/ml concentrations the link above claims increased Klotho expression 4-10 times.

LeeLemonoil

@haidut

Not too long ago you and others here posted and mused a lot about stearic acid and in the process Stearyl alcohol. It’s not unlike policosanol, maybe some similar health effects to find here too though the structure/Chain looks different

LeeLemonoil

In any case also Woolwax, beeswax and waxed of flowers like rose or jasmine look interesting with a plethora of fatty acids, fat-alcohols and hydroxy-fatty acids

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Not too long ago you and others here posted and mused a lot about stearic acid and in the process Stearyl alcohol. It’s not unlike policosanol, maybe some similar health effects to find here too though the structure/Chain looks different

All SFA have at least some anti-viral and anti-bacterial effects but those effects depend on the chain. Some of the longer chain SFA have even been approved as anti-virals and ti seems that a chain longer than 20 carbons is needed for a robust-enough effect. The alcohol of behenic acid is approved as anti-viral treatment by the FDA but I am not aware of any approved treatments that use fatty acids with chains shorter than 20 carbons.
Docosanol - Wikipedia
"...More recently, docosanol has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a pharmaceutical antiviral agent[3] for reducing the duration of cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus in the OTC medication Abreva.[4]"

The study below shows marginal effectiveness of stearic acid. So, there is some effect but not nearly as strong as the effect of longer chain fats/alcohols.
Comparison of New Topical Treatments for Herpes Labialis

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Do you know how much would be in a dose of your Vitamin E product?

The 25 drops (1ml) usually contain 15mg-18mg policosanol, based on testing various batches over the last 2+ years. The policosanol content varies depending on the batch/year as apparently years with less rain result in higher policosanol content in the wheat germ oil from which TocoVit is extracted.

jmojo

The 25 drops (1ml) usually contain 15mg-18mg policosanol, based on testing various batches over the last 2+ years. The policosanol content varies depending on the batch/year as apparently years with less rain result in higher policosanol content in the wheat germ oil from which TocoVit is extracted.

Ok thanks. That's probably an unreasonable daily dose of Vitamin E to hit the 20mg policosanol mark? Are there any reliable policosanol products out there?

Mauritio

Ok thanks. That's probably an unreasonable daily dose of Vitamin E to hit the 20mg policosanol mark? Are there any reliable policosanol products out there?
Check out this thread, we found pure bulk to be pretty reliable . Certificate of analysis is included.
The Policosanols Thread

Human studies show that 20mg daily is probably optimal as higher doses are not more beneficial for things like lowering cholesterol/inflammation, increasing endurance or lowering risk of CVD. That dose is more than enough to reach the picogram/ml concentrations the link above claims increased Klotho expression 4-10 times.

Thanks !

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Mauritio

Very interesting, thanks.
What do you thinks about its 5a reductase lowering effect ?
I think it's much more likely that the improved hair growth is from a reduction in estrogen.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What do you thinks about its 5a reductase lowering effect ?
I think it's much more likely that the improved hair growth is from a reduction in estrogen.

I don't think it is a legitimate finding. There are multiple studies on the forum showing SFA are neutral or may even increase 5-AR while unsaturated fats are invariable inhibitory for 5-AR. These effects have already been confirmed in vivo and partially in humans as well.

Momado965

I don't think it is a legitimate finding. There are multiple studies on the forum showing SFA are neutral or may even increase 5-AR while unsaturated fats are invariable inhibitory for 5-AR. These effects have already been confirmed in vivo and partially in humans as well.

Any ideas when you'll be releasing the new products mentioned on danny's podcast and precisely the FAO inhibitor product that is similar to meldonium?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any ideas when you'll be releasing the new products mentioned on danny's podcast and precisely the FAO inhibitor product that is similar to meldonium?

As I have mentioned in the past, I don't discuss timelines for things that are still in the research phase. It is never known if a new chemical will even work or be safe, let alone if it will be feasible to release. It also leads to a thousand people sending message and emails every day asking "is it ready yet? is it ready yet?". The update I give on Danny's podcasts is simply as to what I am currently working on, not necessarily what will become a product. Sometimes, the goal is to prove a concept - i.e. that inhibiting FAO may treat cancer. If that is confirmed then people can decide what specific FAO they would use. Aspirin, niacinamide, and meldonium are already widely available and cheap FAO that work pretty well, especially in combination.

Momado965

As I have mentioned in the past, I don't discuss timelines for things that are still in the research phase. It is never known if a new chemical will even work or be safe, let alone if it will be feasible to release. It also leads to a thousand people sending message and emails every day asking "is it ready yet? is it ready yet?". The update I give on Danny's podcasts is simply as to what I am currently working on, not necessarily what will become a product. Sometimes, the goal is to prove a concept - i.e. that inhibiting FAO may treat cancer. If that is confirmed then people can decide what specific FAO they would use. Aspirin, niacinamide, and meldonium are already widely available and cheap FAO that work pretty well, especially in combination.

Alright gotcha. Do you think there is a way to use pyrucet standalone in terms of a dose dependent manner without meldonium to strongly inhibit FAO and increase heat for fat loss?