Please teach me how to start Peating & where to buy NDT.

Cantonpixie

hallo Everyone!!!

I'm new. I just wrote to Peat and need advice on where to get NDT.

The links on the forum pointing to Thiroyd and Thyroid-S on Amazon are dead. Does anyone know where / how to get them online? I just bought Nutri-Med from Iherb but Peat says they may be too weak.

I'm needing all the help / advise I can get right now with Peatifying my predominantly Chinese - Asian diet. Prior to finding Peat, I never knew I was overdosing on PUFAs or that I was overdosing on anti-thyroid veges (I love veges and eat mountains of green leafy veges everyday as they are abundant in this part of Asia - bok choy, kale, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc).

I had tried WAPF dietary recommendations but never got very far with the fermented foods (goat kefir)

Daily Diet -
Morning
- 2 glasses warm water followed by
- eggs (half-boiled, teaspoon of coconut oil, salt), perhaps a slice or two of nitrate free ham in white bread. OR
- last night's pork bone broth soup with muscle meat , and different veges in the soup.

Lunch - white rice porridge / wheat noodles with minced pork, egg and / or chicken, sometimes a side of green leafys.

Dinner
- pork broth soup with varying Asian vegetables - any of the following - hairy marrow, carrot, potato, onion, winter melon, lotus root, sweet corn, etc AND
- white rice
- Green leafys stir fried
- Meat dish - always pork / chicken / fish.

Any help / suggestions / recommendations / questions welcome. I am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of change I am looking at!. :P

I have only started the daily carrot, and stopped all the omegas / cod liver oil I was overdosing on. thanks all!!!

Here's what I posted in the meet and greet:
==================
Age - 38
Background - Female, Chinese ethnicity, living in Singapore.
Height 5'3", Weight 45 kg / 99lbs.

Found the forum - I was googling "feeling cold and fatigued, sometimes immediately after a meal".

How long have you been Peating?
Only started the daily carrot.

What are your health issues?
- Intolerance to cold and feeling cold (I live in sunny Singapore, it's summer all year round with ambient temps above 86F most days and I am the only one I know carrying a sweater when going into an air-conditioned place).
- experiencing various symptoms of estrogen dominance / hypothyroid (weight gain around waist even though I am slim by Asian standards, fatigue - I crash after lunch, dry skin, and sometimes immediately after a meal, I feel extremely cold and fatigued.)
- wanting to conceive my second child. Temperatures are fairly low in luteal phase.
- recovering from PUFA overload (only just found out about PUFAs)
- food intolerances - dairy appears to trigger sinus congestion.

Mittir

Welcome to the forum

Pork ,fatty fish and some part of chicken are full of PUFA.
You can choose low fat fish. Pork has too much PUFA.
You can build tolerance to dairy with slow introduction, starting with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and
slowly increase. You can try cottage cheese instead of milk in the beginning.
80 grams of good quality protein and 33 to 50 percent total calories from sweet fruits, milk,honey, table sugar
are essential for increasing thyroid function and temperature.

Here are some useful links to basic dietary guidelines

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&start=10

Dan W

Welcome to the forum, eeleen.

I wasn't sure how to interpret the first part of your post, did Peat recommend NDT to you? If so, I'll PM you some general suggestions. Hopefully some other members more familiar with Singapore will do the same.

Bluebell

Welcome eeleen! :D

Can you buy milk in Singapore? You could try introducing it very slowly.

It's great you are already having bone broth soup.

OP
C

Cantonpixie

hi Mittir and Dan!
Thanks Mittir!! I needed those links!! I saw your reply to ammuc and found your suggestions very helpful too!

Dan,
Yes, I described my history to Peat and he suggested a thyroid supplement. He said a good dessicated thyroid is good for most people and that cynomel / cynoplus are easy to get and economical. I would really appreciate a PM from you regarding this, thanks so much!!

Right now I am awaiting 1 bottle of Nutri-meds in the mail from IHerb.

I have been googling for where to get thiroyd / thyroid-s / erfa online and am hitting a wall, esp for thiroyd / thyroid-s. Both were pulled out from Amazon and I can't seem to find where to purchase now!

The shipping charges to SG from that cynomel /cynoplus link in the Supplements page (shipping starts at US$42) would probably mean that cost differences between cynomel / cynoplus and a good NDT are probably negligible in my situation.

thanks so much!!

OP
C

Cantonpixie

hallo Bluebell!
We can find plenty of milk here, just not "raw". I am able to get pretty good goat milk from neighbouring Malaysia, is goat milk Peat-approved?

I was quite horrified to find from Mittir's and other posts that pork is so high in PUFA. (it's predominant in Chinese cuisines, and my mom who cooks for me very often is against beef).

Is pork bone broth equally high PUFA? the bone broth I drink is now mostly pork, looks like I've to switch to a beef / oxtail based broth now.

On the positive side, I was pleasantly surprised to find tropical fruits being in the Peat approved list! I am surrounded by tropical fruits. :D

Bluebell

That's good! Goat milk is absolutely fine. The main thing is to make sure the animals producing the milk are eating a natural diet (for instance cows eating grass), not a PUFA-laden grain feed.

Yes, pork's pretty high in PUFA. You could try eating less of it to start, and substituting gelatin or dairy protein. Also you can eat the meat bit and leave the fat, while you get used to changing your diet. Another trick is to cook it so the fat comes out (frying), then discard the fat and cook again in coconut oil.

Can you use coconut oil in stead of vegetable oil in cooking, that's also a good switch to make.

You are lucky, there must be a wonderful variety of fresh sweet fruits where you are :P

OP
C

Cantonpixie

Ok I am going to introduce goat milk v v v slowly. The farm I'm getting from grows their own grass and supplement only if it isn't sufficient. It's the closest I can get to natural here

I'm waiting for my gelatin to arrive :)

And I shall have to stop eating the fatty bits :eek: (I so love them. )

I'm going to start looking for low fat fish too and for cottage cheese. I couldn't find cottage at the supermarkets near my place. I think I saw mittir post that I could use lemon juice on milk so I might just do that.

Fermented foods are not approved, right? Does that include yogurt and kefir? I was on the WAPF bandwagon and tried kefir before but it didnt do me much good.

Bluebell, the good news is, I found an organic shop selling the flavor-less refined coconut oil and so I have started using that.

The fruits that are in Peats list are found all over Southeast Asia where Singapore is. :D Plenty of coconuts, lychees, Longans, papaya (which I've been reading is different from pawpaw?) , mangoes, guava and pineapples. We've also got watermelon and rock melon and honeydew and grapes and oranges and apples and pears. I just never knew they were so nutritious !

HDD

Welcome, eleen!

My daughter lived in China for 3 years with Chinese girls. I knew they prepared broths but I didn't realize pork was the main meaty bones used. When she visited over Christmas she drank warm water in the morning like you. :)

Here are some quotes about pork from Ray Peat:

Linoleic and linolenic acids, the "essential fatty acids," and other polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are now fed to pigs to fatten them, in the form of corn and soy beans, cause the animals' fat to be chemically equivalent to vegetable oil. In the late 1940s, chemical toxins were used to suppress the thyroid function of pigs, to make them get fatter while consuming less food. When that was found to be carcinogenic, it was then found that corn and soy beans had the same antithyroid effect, causing the animals to be fattened at low cost. The animals' fat becomes chemically similar to the fats in their food, causing it to be equally toxic, and equally fattening
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/un ... oils.shtml

The observation that multiple sclerosis is associated with the consumption of pork and horsemeat, but not beef, lamb, or goat, is very interesting, since the fat of those animals is essentially like the fats of the plant materials that they eat, meaning that it is extremely high in linoleic and linolenic acids. The rumen of cows, sheep, and goats contains bacteria that convert the polyunsaturated fats into more saturated fats. Unsaturated fats inhibit the enzymes that digest protein, and MS patients have been reported to have poor digestion of meat (Gupta, et al., 1977).
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ms.shtml

J

j.

Pig's fat composition depends on what they eat. Pork in thailand has a similar fat profile to coconut oil, so it's a great food. You might use labels to see what percentage of the fat of the pork in your area is polyunsaturated.

OP
C

Cantonpixie

Hallo Haagendaz! :)
Thanks for the articles!! It starts me thinking about the pork we eat (our pork is either from Indonesia or Australia) and why my late grandparents were never "fat" and why in recent years my mom and MIL are both gaining weight despite eating "next to nothing" .... My late grandparents reared their own pigs and poultry and palm and coconut oil was the only option back then...

J,
Thanks for the tip!!! It's unlikely the Indonesian pork comes with labels but I'm pretty sure the Australian pork does. Im going go check this out. What percentage constitutes high in PUFA?

Also, your tip started me thinking about my friends in Vietnam. Everyone there appears to be slim, and they eat mainly pork and also use a lot of coconut and palm oil. Perhaps their pork is also fed similar to Thai pigs.. :D

J

j.

Pate (liverwurst) products often have labels. Pork is often 33% PUFA. 4% would be great. Coconut oil is 2%. Beef, butter, between 2% and 4%.

Mittir

Saturation of animal fat also depends on temperature. Animals raised in warm climate will
have more saturated fat than animal from colder climate. RP has cited a study that showed
if PUFA intake is less than 4 grams, people have protection against cancer.
Chicken feet soup can be an excellent source of gelatin. Just skim off the fat when
you boil chicken feet.