Please share your experiences with night sweats - is there a remedy, what's the cause

For awhile now I wake up soaked in sweat. I have taken to using silver-thread impregnated sheets to avoid as much of the mildew as possible. I wonder if you have any ideas as to how to prevent this.

I don't have diabetes. I don't take anything much other than some T4/T3, which I think is dosed correctly and stable at this point. Any pointers or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Lizb

Ray talked about night sweats recently. It might have been on Jodelle's podcast. I'll see if I can find it.

Nicole W.

I went through a period of hot flashes/night sweats and it was always related to hunger/low blood sugar/ elevated cortisol. At first I thought it was a menopause- related issue but in the end it was a reaction to a stressful time in my life. If I don’t eat enough at dinner or am stressed going to bed, I am more prone to this problem. As I’ve aged, I’ve noticed that regulating blood sugar at night has become more difficult. I do better with a snack before bed which keeps me calm and helps me get through the night without waking, hot flashing, or sweating. Not sure this would apply to you, but just eating helped bring down the stress hormones which caused the unusual sweating.

loess

Babesia?

Lizb

Ray talked about night sweats recently. It might have been on Jodelle' podcast. I'll see if I can find it.
Ray talked about night sweats recently. It might have been on Jodelle's podcast. I'll see if I can find it.
I couldn't find it, but just remember him saying you need to eat well throughout the day.... blood sugars is the problem.
I remember that much as my mum has had this a couple of times recently and I asked her what she had eaten that day -bit clearly wasn't very much.

timr

low blood sugar/ elevated cortisol are the most likely causes of actual sweats. glycine for the cortisol, and a very small amount of juice or honey for sugar issues

Sumbody

For awhile now I wake up soaked in sweat. I have taken to using silver-thread impregnated sheets to avoid as much of the mildew as possible. I wonder if you have any ideas as to how to prevent this.

I don't have diabetes. I don't take anything much other than some T4/T3, which I think is dosed correctly and stable at this point. Any pointers or experiences are greatly appreciated.
Every single time I have ever had night sweats, which will usually persist for a few nights, I now simply wash the bedding.

For me this occurance usually happens when I have went too long between washes of the bedding.

It works every time for me, and if I wake up in sweat like that, it has usually been a while since last washing the sheets, etc.

Not sure if it's the buildup of skin cells within the fibers of the sheets that block air flow, or something else at play.

Nomane Euger

Hi,is the weather warmer where you live since a few days/weeks as the spring arrived?do you still sleep with the same layer of tissues that you used during the winter?or did you adapt it and reduce the layers?

Last edited:

yerrag

Last year, I had my only instance of night sweats. I was sick, with fever, cramps in areas I never had cramps. My heart rapid more rapid that usual.

I also wondered why I wasn't urinating much. Now I think it was because of being very acidic in my acid base balance.

Since skin is also an organ of elimination, the skin acted like a pressure relief valve and the night sweat occurred.

OP
ecstatichamster
thanks for the many suggestions. I chose the two simplest ones. Changing my sheets (more than once a week) and just removing some covering. I feel slightly "colder" when I got to bed because I'm not used to not using those blankets but I have not awakened during the night and the night sweats are fine. I still wake up sweaty in the morning but I sleep very soundly.

Thanks again! I hope someone finds this useful and I'd love to continue hearing people's ideas.

Birdie

I haven't switched to my summer comforter. I love the feel of the down one so much. But I'll prob awaken early hot until I make the switch.
Also, I still have the flannel bottom sheet on the bed.

In the past, when I switched in earlier spring, no problem with night sweats. So, same as you really ecstatic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals