Please Help With Confusing Iron Test

Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I was hoping to get some help with my recent iron blood tests. I have low ferritin and high normal iron. I know high iron is dangerous and needs to be reduced but Im wondering if something else is going on.

FERRITIN (ng/mL) 28 Range: 38-380

IRON, TOTAL (mcg/dL) 168 Range: 50-180

Constatine

Do you take lactoferrin or something similar? From what I've read it seems that substances that can transport iron similar to ferritin (like lactoferrin) can lower ferritin while maintaining iron levels.

tankasnowgod

Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I was hoping to get some help with my recent iron blood tests. I have low ferritin and high normal iron. I know high iron is dangerous and needs to be reduced but Im wondering if something else is going on.

Ferritin is the best marker of overall body iron stores. I have to assume the other marker is serum iron, which fluctuates wildly. The same person could test near the bottom of the range and near the top in a matter of hours by going to a steakhouse. Serum iron responded to lots of things, including meals. Ferritin would not spike simply by eating at a steakhouse.

If you didn't do the test fasting, then that could be the reason serum iron is near the top of the range.

Hans

Forum Supporter

It would be good if you can also test transferrin saturation, transferrin receptor and ceruloplasmin.
I did an article on interpreting iron labs, so hopefully, it can be of help to you: How to interpret your iron panel blood test for optimal energy and health » MenElite

OP
T
Thanks for all the input.

@constantine, no I don’t take lactoferrin or any iron supps

@tankasnowgod the test was done during a fasted state. No major protein meal eaten night before.

@Hans funny I had just finished reading that yesterday. Great write up with lots of good info I hadn’t seen before.

After doing some more research I’m thinking I have borderline Hypoferritinemia without anemia. This can be caused by long term blood loss which Ive had from a bad case of internal hemorrhoids.

The recommended surgical approach has too many risks/complications. But Ive tried just about every natural treatment out there with no help. A couple days ago I came across this post in earth clinic and for the first time it seems my hems are shrinking. I tried garlic suppositories before but not this type of garlic total war. Hope this helps anyone else suffering from internal hems.

Garlic for Hemorrhoids - 12 Reviews - Earth Clinic®
Dr.p.prabhu from India
October 23, 2017 at 10:41 am
An intro about myself, I am a board certified dental surgeon. Very interested in natural healing.

I had internal haemorrhoids for the past 5 years, and after I started taking supplements it vanished, but last month symptoms started again, and it usually comes out during defecation and it could be reduced with finger pressure, that went on for a few months and all of a sudden I had a bigger prolapse and it couldn't be reduced. I consulted a general surgeon, who told me it was a grade 4 internal haemorrhoid and it needs surgical removal. I was not interested, opened you tube to hear many testimonials about garlic suppositories for healing haemorrhoids, as I believed in natural healing, but still being trained in conventional medicine did not have complete faith in it and decided to try it half heartedly-

I placed a single clove of garlic as a suppositorie for ten days, ate 3 cloves of raw garlic every night, also placed garlic as a poultice (crushed garlic) with coconut oil in a gauze directly on the popped out haemorrhoid lesion. And sometimes aloe Vera gel as a poultice. I couldn't believe myself, 10days- my symptoms vanished and haemorrhoids completely gone! Amazing, what a miracle.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals