Please Help. Shortness Of Breath After Eating

troubledtimes

something very weird and scary has been happening for 2 years. im 30 years old 5'10 and weigh 210 pounds so im not that big. after eating to much food, especially carbs or sugar i hyperventilate, get head spasms i jerk my head, shake my arms and hands and cant control my breathing! beer or alcohol really makes this bad id say beer and drinking soda are the worst. im not a regular drinker either i drink maybe once a month even tho each time it almost lands me in the ER! ive had EKG and blood tests done and its been dismissed as anxiety which this is more than that i guarentee. also laying down its much harder to breathe especially if i lay on my left side. in dire need of help i cant do this anymore

OP
T

troubledtimes

also ive experimented and intentionally have taken a benzo such as klonopin when i get these breathing problems and it does not help. so im quite sure this cannot be anxiety sighhhh

wintagal

Metabolic acidosis could explain the breathing - it causes deep, frequent respirations at rest. Pulse will be normal,, O2 will be 99 or 100%. Have your labs included testing for metabolic acidosis? Do you have access through a patient portal to your lab results?

Recoen

The alcohol makes me think of vitamin B1.
The eating part could be a histamine reaction. Have you figured out what exact foods trigger it? It could be endotoxin - how long after you eat does this happen? I would avoid eating too much in too much in one sitting and spread your food out more if that’s the reason. And probably avoid the specific food trigger.

OP
T

troubledtimes

Metabolic acidosis could explain the breathing - it causes deep, frequent respirations at rest. Pulse will be normal,, O2 will be 99 or 100%. Have your labs included testing for metabolic acidosis? Do you have access through a patient portal to your lab results?

im not sure about accessing my lab results but i can deffinitley try to or get a copy i beleive. i would love to post them. i beleive they checked my electrolites, thyroid quite a few things actually but i cant say they checked metabolic acidosis. yup pulse is normal, my blood oxygen was 97 percent. i also get out of breath just going up one flight of stairs or simply walking for just 1 minute! and its usually accompanied by a dry cough. i personally was think misdiagnosed thyroid, possable blood clot, enlarged liver thats pressing on the heart from a fatty liver. i also get alot of bloating after eating which could press against the diaphram? gerd? im really not an expert but im thankful for you replying!

OP
T

troubledtimes

The alcohol makes me think of vitamin B1.
The eating part could be a histamine reaction. Have you figured out what exact foods trigger it? It could be endotoxin - how long after you eat does this happen? I would avoid eating too much in too much in one sitting and spread your food out more if that’s the reason. And probably avoid the specific food trigger.

the drinking is quite rare maybe once every 2 weeks max but usually once a month. i deffinitley have cut back on the booze these past 2 years. ive had no choice unless i want to nearly passout sigh.... finding an exact food seems hard. i ate kraft dinner and that alone caused it, ive had even eggs cause it. drinking pop is up there at the top of the list to cause this. ive been eating more vegatables and they seem to agree with me. it seems the bigger the meal the worse it gets that and carbs or sugar. and they say my blood sugar is fine. yes i literally am afraid to eat they past few years.... it seems im best when i dont eat. but for someone my age something has to be going on.

Jessie

Hyperventilation is typically caused by a buildup of lactate and serotonin. I find it a bit odd that sugar is increasing these effects in you, sugar always seemed to take the edge off for me. I dealt with some really bad hyperventilation when I was doing ketogenic diets.

I guess it's possible the sugar could be increasing your lactate if it's not getting through glycolisis properly. Some things I would recommend are 1/2-1 teaspoon of baking soda between or before meals, so it doesn't mess with digestion. Sodium bicarbonate is one of the more effective ways to reduce lactate fast. Thiamine taken at 300-400mgs 3-4 times daily will help too. Adding niacinamide and biotin will synergize with it and make it better. For serotonin I recommend cleaning the gut. Daily carrot with vinegar and coconut oil works great. Cyproheptadine is a very effective drug for lowering serotonin, but I wouldn't suggest using it chronically. Using it for 2 or 3 days then taking a break would be ideal. Prolonged use seems to give people some side-effects like water retention and increased hunger.

It may help to restrict protein some as well, as acidosis is typically perpetuated by over stressed kidneys. I'm not talking a lot here, Ray's 80-100 grams is about ideal. That amount won't stress the kidneys too bad, and it will give enough protein for basic bodily functions. Getting enough vitamin D and calcium will help the kidneys. Ceylon cinnamon can lower ammonia buildup.

These are all just mediators to the main problem. The main issue with hyperventalation is the rapid loss of CO2, and you're not retaining CO2 because you're likely low thyroid. The only way to permanently ameliorate this problem is to correct thyroid function. Likely with NDT or a synthetic equivalent. It's not something I would recommend just jumping into either. There's legitimate proper ways of dosing NDT. I recommend looking up Broda Barnes's protocol for dosing thyroid. The dosing needs to start out low and slow, and slowly increase it over a period of several weeks until you reach the desired effect.

OP
T

troubledtimes

what do i do when my thyroid test came back normal? they checked t3, t4 and tsh and said i was ok?

OP
T

troubledtimes

next doctor visit ill ask for metabolic acidosis and get a blood test on it

gaze

Have you tried breathing into a brown paper bag for a couple minutes

J

james2388

I would run a basic blood lab and looking at free fatty acids FFA's. I would also get a blood sugar monitor and take your blood sugar when you are having these attacks. But you said you went to the ER and this could just turn out to be fine.
I would have something happen to me very similar, no shakes just the need to breathe more like at a brisk walking pace, when I'm completely sedentary. I made a post on this. I would add sugar to whole fat milk, and maybe have an aspirin in the same day or within a couple hours. This is really easy to happen to people who don't eat a lot of meat, or any liver, and avoid eggs, which many people on here try to limit.
I haven't had many other episodes, definitely lowered aspirin and maybe take it to 2-3 a week.
I would also look into thiamine. This is so important because thiamine deficiency carries many symptoms including breathlessness. Thiamine is also deeply connected to sugar metabolism. Alcohol greatly depletes thiamine. See what kind of thiamine is recommended here or on toxinless.com find it on amazon or amazon may have a whole methylated complex.
I'd put my money on thiamine.

wintagal

The lab test for metabolic acidosis is primarily an arterial blood gas. This is not done at a regular laboratory, and requires an arterial puncture. An easier test is to take 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) when you are experiencing breathlessness. Within a half hour, that should fix it. If not, try another 1/2 tsp and wait 1/2 hour. If that fixes it, then you probably have acidosis.
Thiamine is also a good guess, try 100-300 mg and see if it helps. It could explain neurologic symptoms.

boris

what do i do when my thyroid test came back normal? they checked t3, t4 and tsh and said i was ok?

Read Peat's articles about thyroid to see how you can measure it yourself. Doctors don't know ***t about thyroid. The tests are designed to misdiagnose it and keep you sick.

OP
T

troubledtimes

The lab test for metabolic acidosis is primarily an arterial blood gas. This is not done at a regular laboratory, and requires an arterial puncture. An easier test is to take 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) when you are experiencing breathlessness. Within a half hour, that should fix it. If not, try another 1/2 tsp and wait 1/2 hour. If that fixes it, then you probably have acidosis.
Thiamine is also a good guess, try 100-300 mg and see if it helps. It could explain neurologic symptoms.
thanks for the replys guys i have a few things to try. ill experiment with thiamine and baking soda. and ill get back to you on this. sorry any of you have gone through this its maddening....

Back
Top Bottom