Please Help- New To Peating & Night Sweats

Forumer1

Hello all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very new to “Peating.” Almost 30 year old male, coming from a background of veganism, raw veganism, carnivore and ketogenic carnivore diet. Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and even high estrogen from blood tests in the past (was prescribed steroids by the doc but never took them). Have autoimmune issues, severe OCD, anxiety, dandruff, jock itch, dry hair, greying hair increasing at young age, dry flaky skin on face especially, to name a few things. 40 pounds or so overweight.

History of lots of fasting, intermittent fasting, one meal a day which I’m sure caused or contributed to my hypothyroidism. Now I’m new to Peating and started eating every 3 to 4 hours or so, strictly only whatever Ray Peat recommends as “optimal.” Definitely noticing positive changes in general. Sourdough bread messes me up though by increasing inflammation and OCD, although it’s store bought from Whole Foods and probably not the real deal in my opinion.

Woke up tonight at 3:30 AM after falling asleep during the hour of 11 PM. I decided to sleep without a shirt on for the first time tonight because I heard it’s healthy, and I also had 1 serving of Haagen Daaz ice cream with 15 grams or so of added honey right before bed. When I woke up at 3:30 AM, I found myself in a cold night sweat, but I think I may have felt my body feeling hot but this may just be my mind. I took my temperature immediately upon waking and it was 95.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Took it again after having woken up a bit and it was 95.9 Fahrenheit. My heart rate was 58 BPM.

Any idea what the issue could be? Is this a good sign that my thyroid is coming back online and my metabolism is working possibly? Or maybe a bad sign, perhaps hypoglycemia? Maybe the ice cream contributed to hypoglycemia because the fat halted glucose from being able to be used by cells? Any solutions for this to be able to have ice cream before bed like many who follow Ray Peat?

many thanks for any help.

mostlylurking

Sounds like elevated adrenaline to me. If you wake up at night, get up and drink a glass of orange juice or a glass of milk with sugar (and gelatin and vanilla!). The adrenaline rises at night when your blood sugar goes down. The sugar lowers the adrenaline. Milk with gelatin and sugar will knock you right out. Info on adrenaline: Programmable Search Engine

Are you taking thyroid hormone supplementation? You need to be sure you are getting T3, natural desiccated thyroid has it in the right ratio to the T4. T4 alone makes things worse.

Reading Ray Peat's articles on hypothyroidism is very helpful. See this link: Programmable Search Engine The first two on the list will be very helpful to you.

Eating the ice cream is fine so long as it's Haagen Dazs vanilla. Other ice cream has polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) in it. PUFA is very bad and increases estrogen among other ghastly things like shutting down your thyroid. Info on PUFA: Programmable Search Engine

Don't eat the bread. No PUFA means: no grains, no seeds, no nuts. Gluten in the bread is bad but so is the PUFA. I don't think you can buy a loaf of bread anywhere that doesn't have PUFA added to it (usually soy oil, sometimes canola oil). The Whole Foods bread might have organic canola oil but that doesn't make it OK; it's still PUFA.

OP
F

Forumer1

Sounds like elevated adrenaline to me. If you wake up at night, get up and drink a glass of orange juice or a glass of milk with sugar (and gelatin and vanilla!). The adrenaline rises at night when your blood sugar goes down. The sugar lowers the adrenaline. Milk with gelatin and sugar will knock you right out. Info on adrenaline: Programmable Search Engine

Are you taking thyroid hormone supplementation? You need to be sure you are getting T3, natural desiccated thyroid has it in the right ratio to the T4. T4 alone makes things worse.

Reading Ray Peat's articles on hypothyroidism is very helpful. See this link: Programmable Search Engine The first two on the list will be very helpful to you.

Eating the ice cream is fine so long as it's Haagen Dazs vanilla. Other ice cream has polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) in it. PUFA is very bad and increases estrogen among other ghastly things like shutting down your thyroid. Info on PUFA: Programmable Search Engine

Don't eat the bread. No PUFA means: no grains, no seeds, no nuts. Gluten in the bread is bad but so is the PUFA. I don't think you can buy a loaf of bread anywhere that doesn't have PUFA added to it (usually soy oil, sometimes canola oil). The Whole Foods bread might have organic canola oil but that doesn't make it OK; it's still PUFA.

I’m new here- I wasn’t notified that you commented, sorry for responding late! Need to sort out the notifications it seems... I think the ice cream with honey made my blood sugar crash, it seems?
I am currently not taking any thyroid hormone supplementation because I don’t know how to do it, but I’ve been thinking heavily about it yesterday. Do you have any sources where one could learn how to do so, if you don’t mind? Especially how much to take and how to avoid any possible issues? I greatly and deeply appreciate your help.

Also, does taking desiccated thyroid make our own thyroids dependent on it & make the thyroid produce less hormones naturally? Just like how taking exogenous steroids reduces our own body’s production of testosterone?

Definitely staying away from bread! The sourdough bread I got from Whole Foods had no canola oil or any oil at all for that matter, but had malted barley, which may or may not be bad... the gluten is terrible on its own anyways, and the bread wasn’t organic now that I thought about it. Having a difficult time finding a good carb source from fruit because the oranges are terrible and sour now, and the pasteurized OJ’s are in plastic bottles and don’t agree with me like ripe & freshly squeezed OJ does.

Lollipop2

I think since you have shown high estrogen, along with the adrenaline, I think the two contribute to night sweats. It has been my experience.

I take two 325mg tabs of just plain Aspirin and cornstarch, no coating, just before bed with 8 oz of whole milk. Cuts the night sweats out and I can sleep better. Note, you do not need to take everyday. I monitor how I feel that day and decide if I need to take.

mostlylurking

I’m new here- I wasn’t notified that you commented, sorry for responding late! Need to sort out the notifications it seems... I think the ice cream with honey made my blood sugar crash, it seems?
I am currently not taking any thyroid hormone supplementation because I don’t know how to do it, but I’ve been thinking heavily about it yesterday. Do you have any sources where one could learn how to do so, if you don’t mind? Especially how much to take and how to avoid any possible issues? I greatly and deeply appreciate your help.

Also, does taking desiccated thyroid make our own thyroids dependent on it & make the thyroid produce less hormones naturally? Just like how taking exogenous steroids reduces our own body’s production of testosterone?

Definitely staying away from bread! The sourdough bread I got from Whole Foods had no canola oil or any oil at all for that matter, but had malted barley, which may or may not be bad... the gluten is terrible on its own anyways, and the bread wasn’t organic now that I thought about it. Having a difficult time finding a good carb source from fruit because the oranges are terrible and sour now, and the pasteurized OJ’s are in plastic bottles and don’t agree with me like ripe & freshly squeezed OJ does.
Sorry for the delayed response! I'm not new here but am just now discovering the Alerts/Notifications feature.

About thyroid supplementation: start with reading Ray Peat's articles on thyroid, here's a list: Programmable Search Engine Read the first four articles. Ray is the best source I've found on thyroid.

Also read Broda Barnes' book on thyroid here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/069001029...qmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1lbrfte9un_b There are used ones for under $3.00.

Ray Peat has said that if you are taking thyroid and stop it, it is possible for your own thyroid to start working again. There are a lot of variations. You might need to take it for a little while and then be able to stop (possibly after your have eliminated all the polyunsaturated fat from your diet for four years). However, if your thyroid got damaged by something like dental xrays or other medical radiation, it won't be able to just pick up again because it is permanently damaged and you will need to take a thyroid supplement for as long as you want to be healthy. It's OK to do that. I am in that category. My thyroid doesn't work and my diet has been PUFA free for over five years. I love my thyroid supplement.

I'm in the United States. Thyroid supplement is by prescription here so you need to find a good endocrinologist to help you. They don't do a good job teaching about hypothyroidism in medical schools. The approved lab test isn't calibrated correctly. It's a long story, so please read Ray's articles and the Broda Barnes book. You will need to arm yourself with factual information and also with a temperature and pulse history log. Make a list of your symptoms that show that you are hypothyroid. There's lots of them. I used my constipation as the marker that I was still hypothyroid and needed more supplementation. Find a doctor who is willing to "optimize" your medication amount. This takes some time, several months of blood work, med increase, time passes, repeat again. Avoid doctors who do not prescribe T3 or natural desiccated thyroid. Synthetic T4 alone will make you worse, not better.

If your temperature and pulse log shows you are low and the test says you are normal and the doctor tells you no med for you, go find another doctor. Lots of doctors just want to test TSH and ignore T4 and T3. My TSH is about .021. Which tells the doctor nothing about my thyroid function; it just says my pituitary doesn't put out any TSH. You will learn about all of this by reading the articles and book.

I like to eat canned peaches and canned pears, I add some fructose to them because they aren't very sweet without it. I also add a big blop of high quality cottage cheese. Beware of the additives, you just want to see "milk" and maybe some salt. Avoid carrageenan. You can also eat cooked apples and cooked pears. Don't fret about the orange juice; although fresh squeezed is best Ray says that even the canned frozen OJ is good for you. The oranges aren't very good here now either so I moved on to watermelon. The organic orange juice (no pulp ever) that I use is in plastic bottles. It's food grade so I don't worry much about it. You want to avoid BPA. Here's an article on what to look for: Which Plastic Bottles Are BPA Free? – BottleStore.com Blog

Here are articles by Ray Peat that mention "insomnia": Programmable Search Engine There are several that will be helpful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals