yoshiesque

I been eating the following during the day:

- 2 Eggs
- OJ
- Beef mince or cod fish
- cheese low fat
- plenty of fruit
- coffee

But when it comes to night time, i need a meal that has as little water in it as possible. Otherwise i get up to urinate and its frustrating because currently i have sleep issues from family stress. So if i wake up once to go to bathroom, i may not get back to sleep.

So my current prebed snack is a whole potato mashed with table spoon of butter, 50g low fat cheese and salt. this does me well, as there isnt much water in any of it.

I could just eat slices of watermelon with cheese, but i know the water from the watermelon will cause issues at night.

Do you have any ideas of what I could eat pre bed, mainly the carb source is what im after. I have considered honey, like maybe eat some cheese and honey along with it, but it goes through my body too quickly and i end up hungry agian.

I dont want to do this pre bed snack that involves potato (sometimes bread), because its starch and im sure its making me fat.

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

schultz

I frequently do dates and cheese before bed. Another one I do is marshmallows and cheese, but I usually end up really thirsty from the marshmallows and then have some milk too.

My wife and daughter have icecream. My son has breast milk, which is liquid, though he wears diapers and just goes pee in those... :woot:

natedawggh

I been eating the following during the day:

- 2 Eggs
- OJ
- Beef mince or cod fish
- cheese low fat
- plenty of fruit
- coffee

But when it comes to night time, i need a meal that has as little water in it as possible. Otherwise i get up to urinate and its frustrating because currently i have sleep issues from family stress. So if i wake up once to go to bathroom, i may not get back to sleep.

So my current prebed snack is a whole potato mashed with table spoon of butter, 50g low fat cheese and salt. this does me well, as there isnt much water in any of it.

I could just eat slices of watermelon with cheese, but i know the water from the watermelon will cause issues at night.

Do you have any ideas of what I could eat pre bed, mainly the carb source is what im after. I have considered honey, like maybe eat some cheese and honey along with it, but it goes through my body too quickly and i end up hungry agian.

I dont want to do this pre bed snack that involves potato (sometimes bread), because its starch and im sure its making me fat.

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Urinating in the night has very little to do with liquid consumption and much more to do with estrogen and cortisol (also causing your fat gain). I drink sodas and milk before bed and almost never wake up to pee until the morning. (Maybe wake up at night once a week). The potato doesn't work for you because it's missing water, it works because the carbs, saturated fat and salt fuel your nighttime metabolism. Try taking aspirin and other salty/carb foods before bed, or ice cream or milk for the calcium and warming saturated fat. If you have any other markers of compromised metabolism, such as low pulse/body temperature, as you fix those your nighttime urination will disappear. Stop eating fish. Seriously how are you on this site and eating fish?

Last edited:

tara

Stop eating fish. Seriously how are you on this site and eating fish?
Peat has suggested cod as a reasonable food. It probably contributes some selenium along with protein etc, it has little PUFA, and AIUI, it's not far enough up the food chain to be likely to accumulate particularly high concentrations of mercury. I aim to eat cod or other non-oily fish once a week or so.
Oily fish like salmon, mackerel, etc, are another matter - I wouldn't make them a staple.

thegiantess

Peat has suggested cod as a reasonable food. It probably contributes some selenium along with protein etc, it has little PUFA, and AIUI, it's not far enough up the food chain to be likely to accumulate particularly high concentrations of mercury. I aim to eat cod or other non-oily fish once a week or so.
Oily fish like salmon, mackerel, etc, are another matter - I wouldn't make them a staple.

+1

Birdie

For bedtime, I've been trying Jarlsberg with sugar on it. And a pinch of salt.

So, I have my last milk drink earlier now. The liquid starts my tummy churning if it's very close to bedtime.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

I assume my urination issue will resolve as metabolism increases and thyroid improves. I dont know when that will be. So I need to think of a meal.

Cheese and dried fruit is a great idea. I didnt know marshmallows were allowed and will look into this. Any other tips would be great!

I feel like its hard to find sugar sources that dont have plenty of water or are too dense (like honey) with calories.

tara

Birdie

Oops, sorry Tara. I read too fast and thought you said marshmallows might not be allowed. Oh well :)

And maybe they are good where you live?

tara

Oops, sorry Tara. I read too fast and thought you said marshmallows might not be allowed. Oh well :)
My question marks were about the 'allowed' comment. As far as I'm concerned, anyone is allowed to eat whatever they want. :)
I know some of us have to be really careful about some foods/fake foods/additives, so I don't discount that, but I get concerned when people get to categorising all foods as either 'good/bad' or 'allowed/disallowed' more generally for everyone.

Locally available marshmallows where I am have colourings and modified starch, I think, that some people may choose to avoid, in addition to the basic sugar ans gelatin. I seldom eat them.
Traditional homemade ones you can control yourself, and are basically gelatine and sugar with whatever flavour you choose - eg vanilla. I've made a couple of attempts with fruit purees for flavour - tasted good, but time-consuming and didn't come out the consistency I was hoping for. Straight fruit juice jelly is much quicker and easier.

natedawggh

I hadn't heard that. But I have also heard him mention that fish meat has an inappropriate balance of amino acids which cause excitation. I think it's better to use dairy and other sources. Especially since this person is having a nightly stress reaction, it's important to make amino acid intake balance in the correct direction. But good to know cod isn't high on the list. I shall have some when I crave seafood again.

Birdie

@yoshiesque in case it helps your quest:

Unexpectedly, the last couple of nights I've slept all through except a quick pee.

The pre-bed snack has not been the usual cheese and sugar these past 2 nights. Don't remember the first one, but last night I saw the Jackson's Honest Chips and decided to try them with extra salt. It worked.

Then... usually, on awakening to pee, I would make a milk drink and have some salt, and go back to sleep. But this took an hour with removing my night splint, cleaning it and making the drink. Then, would get the stomach churning from the liquid. Would read for a while... So, I skipped the middle night time snack and just went back to sleep. It worked for me so might help somebody else.

whit

I frequently do dates and cheese before bed. Another one I do is marshmallows and cheese, but I usually end up really thirsty from the marshmallows and then have some milk too.

My wife and daughter have icecream. My son has breast milk, which is liquid, though he wears diapers and just goes pee in those... :woot:

He he;) hilarious bro. I don't miss changing diapers. Good times though...

I do the dates and cheese too. Goat cheese is particularly tasty.
Milk and dried fruit or honey is nice too.
Asprin can be helpfull as well.

superhuman

@natedawggh any other suggestions in terms of getting up to pee at night? i always have to get up 1 time each night and its so frustrating. The only time i dont is if i dont eat or drink anything many hours before i go to bed. I take aspirin, sodium bicarb and some niacinamide also before bed to try and make it better but it does not help

X3CyO

Starches before bed are always good. Knocks me out.

I dont drink milk, or eat ice cream, so instead, I make rice pudding and then freeze it and eat it like icecream.

Just use sugar, rice, coconut oil, and I use an almond milk with lots of vitamin e/calcium in it low in pufas.
Can throw in anything like bananas, apples, etc.

Its also great for breakfast if you throw in the right stuff and heat it up in the morning.

Tastes like oatmeal warm, and icecream when cold. Cant lose man.

Can fit a lot of sugar, salt, and calcium without it being overbearing. I could (and have) eaten it all day everyday for a while at times.

Id just watch out to make sure you use enough sugar as to offset the glucose load from the starch however.

EIRE24

Starches before bed are always good. Knocks me out.

I dont drink milk, or eat ice cream, so instead, I make rice pudding and then freeze it and eat it like icecream.

Just use sugar, rice, coconut oil, and I use an almond milk with lots of vitamin e/calcium in it low in pufas.
Can throw in anything like bananas, apples, etc.

Its also great for breakfast if you throw in the right stuff and heat it up in the morning.

Tastes like oatmeal warm, and icecream when cold. Cant lose man.

Can fit a lot of sugar, salt, and calcium without it being overbearing. I could (and have) eaten it all day everyday for a while at times.

Id just watch out to make sure you use enough sugar as to offset the glucose load from the starch however.
How come you don't do milk or ice cream?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals