Please help, I can't stand it anymore!! Iron? Or not????

OP
R

reikiriki

Re: Please help, I can't stand it anymore!! Iron? Or not??

Another two weeks, and my pulse is still at 60bpm resting rate. Palpitations have improved greatly. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Rayser

reikiriki said:
Today I am feeling very drained. I stopped taking the Progest E on the 8th since it was Day 28 of my cycle. I've really noticed a dip in my energy levels. Should I just keep taking it for awhile so my thyroid can have more time to adjust? I can't function at this level.

I would not care about the menstrual cycle for a few months. After years of estrogen dominance it might take a while to heal. In my experience you will notice when you don't need as much progesterone anymore. You will certainly not feel "drained" and not have less energy. That would be a sign that you shouldn't stop using it right now. It's entirely possible you will still have your period if you estrogen is still high. There are no negative side effects to using progesterone every day.

Rayser

reikiriki said:
Another two weeks, and my pulse is still at 60bpm resting rate. Palpitations have improved greatly. Any suggestions? Thank you!

When your thyroid function is good, your pulse is good. Do you have some pure T3?
If not, eating a little every hour will increase your pulse (it's generally a good idea). A little milk with some fruit, a piece of cheese and a glass of OJ, some bone broth with coffee (and milk and sugar) or some eggs and OJ ...

I would not quit the coffee. As far as I know there are no negative side effects if you drink it with milk and sugar. Only pure coffee can raise stress hormones. If you eat some sugar at the same time (and maybe use gelatin in the coffee) it will even increase thyroid function and help lower serotonin.

OP
R

reikiriki

Today my pulse is 56bpm. I'm thinking about taking an adrenal supplement. When I've taken it before it's brought my pulse up.
I can't keep up with my daily activities with my energy this low. I'm trying to eat more often and what is suggested. My pulse isn't coming up and I'm gaining weight. :(

Bluebell

Rayser said:
reikiriki said:

When your thyroid function is good, your pulse is good. Do you have some pure T3?
If not, eating a little every hour will increase your pulse (it's generally a good idea). A little milk with some fruit, a piece of cheese and a glass of OJ, some bone broth with coffee (and milk and sugar) or some eggs and OJ ...

I would not quit the coffee. As far as I know there are no negative side effects if you drink it with milk and sugar. Only pure coffee can raise stress hormones. If you eat some sugar at the same time (and maybe use gelatin in the coffee) it will even increase thyroid function and help lower serotonin.

Hello Rayser :)

I was wondering, how many grams of sugar do we need to have per 250g coffee to stop it raising stress hormones? I am just starting to get into coffee, & right now I'm having cheese & honey on the side as I like the bitter taste of coffee.

OP
R

reikiriki

I guess I was on the right track, I stopped to see a Master Herbalist today and with the aid of muscle-testing we confirmed that I needed adrenal support. She gave me a blend to try so we will see how it helps! (I tested negative for her thyroid support blend.)

Rayser

reikiriki, this might explain a lot ...
Nothing again Master Herbalists but as usual Ray Peat's explanation sound a little more "whole".
I sent you a PM with a suggestion where you could get T3.

Ray Peat:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

"In Eugene during a hot and humid summer, I saw several obviously hypothyroid people whose temperature seemed perfectly normal, euthyroid by Barnes' standards. But I noticed that their pulse rates were, in several cases, very low. It takes very little metabolic energy to keep the body at 98.6 degrees when the air temperature is in the nineties. In cooler weather, I began asking people whether they used electric blankets, and ignored their temperature measurements if they did.

The combination of pulse rate and temperature is much better than either one alone. I happened to see two people whose resting pulse rates were chronically extremely high, despite their hypothyroid symptoms. When they took a thyroid supplement, their pulse rates came down to normal. (Healthy and intelligent groups of people have been found to have an average resting pulse rate of 85/minute, while less healthy groups average close to 70/minute.)

The speed of the pulse is partly determined by adrenaline, and many hypothyroid people compensate with very high adrenaline production. Knowing that hypothyroid people are susceptible to hypoglycemia, and that hypoglycemia increases adrenaline, I found that many people had normal (and sometimes faster than average) pulse rates when they woke up in the morning, and when they got hungry. Salt, which helps to maintain blood sugar, also tends to lower adrenalin, and hypothyroid people often lose salt too easily in their urine and sweat. Measuring the pulse rate before and after breakfast, and in the afternoon, can give a good impression of the variations in adrenalin. (The blood pressure, too, will show the effects of adrenaline in hypothyroid people. Hypothyroidism is a major cause of hypertension.)

But hypoglycemia also tends to decrease the conversion of T4 to T3, so heat production often decreases when a person is hungry. First, their fingers, toes, and nose will get cold, because adrenalin, or adrenergic sympathetic nervous activity, will increase to keep the brain and heart at a normal temperature, by reducing circulation to the skin and extremities. Despite the temperature-regulating effect of adrenalin, the reduced heat production resulting from decreased T3 will make a person susceptible to hypothermia if the environment is cool.

Since food, especially carbohydrate and protein, will increase blood sugar and T3 production, eating is “thermogenic,” and the oral (or eardrum) temperature is likely to rise after eating.

Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something.

If the night-time stress is very high, the adrenalin will still be high until breakfast, increasing both temperature and pulse rate. The cortisol stimulates the breakdown of muscle tissue and its conversion to energy, so it is thermogenic, for some of the same reasons that food is thermogenic.

After eating breakfast, the cortisol (and adrenalin, if it stayed high despite the increased cortisol) will start returning to a more normal, lower level, as the blood sugar is sustained by food, instead of by the stress hormones. In some hypothyroid people, this is a good time to measure the temperature and pulse rate. In a normal person, both temperature and pulse rate rise after breakfast, but in very hypothyroid people either, or both, might fall.

Some hypothyroid people have a very slow pulse, apparently because they aren't compensating with a large production of adrenalin. When they eat, the liver's increased production of T3 is likely to increase both their temperature and their pulse rate.

By watching the temperature and pulse rate at different times of day, especially before and after meals, it's possible to separate some of the effects of stress from the thyroid-dependent, relatively “basal” metabolic rate. When beginning to take a thyroid supplement, it's important to keep a chart of these measurements for at least two weeks, since that's roughly the half-life of thyroxine in the body. When the body has accumulated a steady level of the hormones, and begun to function more fully, the factors such as adrenaline that have been chronically distorted to compensate for hypothyroidism will have begun to normalize, and the early effects of the supplementary thyroid will in many cases seem to disappear, with heart rate and temperature declining. The daily dose of thyroid often has to be increased several times, as the state of stress and the adrenaline and cortisol production decrease."

Rayser

Bluebell said:
Hello Rayser :)

I was wondering, how many grams of sugar do we need to have per 250g coffee to stop it raising stress hormones? I am just starting to get into coffee, & right now I'm having cheese & honey on the side as I like the bitter taste of coffee.

I'm sorry, bluebell, he never mentioned how much sugar he suggests. I use about 2 tea spoons in a big cup of coffee but there was a time when I used much more. In winter I generally use lots of white sugar, sometimes 1 kg in 4 days if I don't get ripe fruit.

I think it's okay to drink the coffee black if you eat cheese and honey with it. It's only the pure coffee without anything to raise your blood sugar at the same time that might cause trouble.

Bluebell

Thanks a lot Rayser, that sounds great. I'll make sure to use enough sugar! I can't always get good ripe fruit so I rely on the sugar.

Roxy40

Hi. Have you ever had your Vitamin D checked? Your symptoms can be a result of the low Vitamin D also.

OP
R

reikiriki

Thought I would pop in for an update. It has been about six months. I still take the Progest-E daily, once or twice a day. I'm not sure if that is enough, I understood that once I was more balanced my periods might be delayed. But they haven't changed at all.
My pulse is up to 64 now. I just had my TSH checked and was shocked to see it at 3.73. Hasn't been that high in many years. I did run out of Armour and was on a reduced amount for two weeks, but it doesn't seem like that would be long enough to change my TSH that drastically.
I'm also still struggling with my weight. My cholesterol is 250. My salts are low. My inflammation is high.
The heart palpitations were all but gone, but for some reason this week they have been bothering me all day.
Oh, and my ferritin is at 15. I've been taking Floradix to keep it up. My other numbers look good, but my ferritin hasn't been rising yet.
Any advice on any of this is appreciated! :)