Please Help Explain SSRI, Serotonin

scarlettsmum

Can you please help giving me an explanation about serotonin that I can present to my doctor so that he prescribes me some cyphro. Btw. he doesn't speak english so links to studies are no good. I just want some simple enough explanation. My gp is very open minded and as well as being a doctor he is also a homeopath. Anyhow I don't know what doctors believe in when it comes to serotonin but he is not going to be fooled by me telling him I want it for a stuffy nose. He'd probably want to give me some homeopathics instead.
I want to try cyphro to see if it does anything for my anxiety. I watched a programme on tv regarding lsd microdosing and how it helped people with anxiety and depression and that made me think that if it is about lowering serotonin perhaps cyphro could help.
My simple understanding at the moment is that serotonin (in excess?) is inflammatory and goes hand in hand with histamine, oestrogen and prolactin and some people may have elevated levels of serotonin for one reason or another. I think what my dr would want to know is why ssri are a bad idea and that's where I fail. Is it because they somehow increase more serotonin which then make a person not feel, apathetic? So rather then solving his anxiety, the ssri just plasters over it so that the person is no longer bothered, no longer feels anxiety? Please let me know, I am seeing my gp tomorrow. Thank you!

Dopamine

Numerous people on the forum have helped treat their anxiety with L-lysine and/or theanine. Have you tried either of those yet? You could get them without a prescription. Both will lower serotonin.

L-lysine - Serotonin Antagonist

Read through the above thread. There are many comparisons made between lysine and cypro.

As for getting a prescription for cypro:

I wouldn't try to explain why serotonin is bad because he probaly won't get it. I would focus on the fact that cyproheptadine lowers cortisol, adrenaline, aldosterone- basically all stress hormones... You could say you are having anxiety, stress, and sleep problems and cyproheptadine helps with all of those so you really would like to try it. You could also say you are having some food allergies which are part of the stress and cypro is an anti-histamine so it would help that. You could say your friend has similar issues and highly recommends it or something.

Last edited:
OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Great post! I am very grateful to you for bringing my attention to lysine. I have read all 9 pages and feel more comfortable trying lysine, especially as I get the occasional cold sore, so it may help to prevent those as well. Now I just need to find a good supplier in Europe and figure out the right dosage. The best part is I don't need a prescription. :)

Maxen93

Purebulk sells lysine capsules without fillers, powder also if you prefer it.

tyler

Alldaychemist stocks and ships cypro at a super affordable cost.

Richiebogie

Regarding serotonin, Ray writes:

"Serotonin and its derivative, melatonin, are both involved in the biology of torpor and hibernation. Serotonin inhibits mitochondrial respiration. Excitoxic death of nerve cells involves both the limitation of energy production, and increased cellular activation. Serotonin has both of these actions.

In hibernating animals, the stress of a declining food supply causes increased serotonin production. In humans and animals that don’t hibernate, the stress of winter causes very similar changes. Serotonin lowers temperature by decreasing the metabolic rate. Tryptophan and melatonin are also hypothermic. In the winter, more thyroid is needed to maintain a normal rate of metabolism.

Increased serotonin interferes with the consolidation of learning. Hypothermia has a similar effect. Since estrogen increases serotonergia, and decreases body temperature, these effects help to explain the long-observed interference of estrogen with learning.

Although ammonia, produced by fatigue or liver inefficiency, creates torpor, it can also cause convulsions. It synergizes with serotonin, and both of these promote excitotoxicity."

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thank you for finding RP thoughts on serotonin, Richiebogie. I wanted to say that I went to see my gp and he told me that I can't believe everything I read on the internet. :)) Oh well, what did I expect, really ? On the plus side he hear me out and gave me some homeopathics and a friendly hug, so I shouldn't be complaining too much. :) I am still trying lysine, though.

Last edited:

Greg says

I stopped taking Tianeptine 4 weeks ago. Then last week I remembered I had some Lysine and took some. I noticed a feeling of wellbeing an hour or so later and have been using it x2 everyday. The serotonin feeling it gives is similar to tianeptine. But the higher dose [30mg] of Tianeptine [which maybe the opioid effect] is a more effective feeling. But, the feeling has a bitter taste if it is raising oestrogen and histamine which has been suggested. I will go back to Tianeptine again soon as i have become anti-social and feel indecisive/learned helplessness off it.

I am really trying to pin point what is going on physiologically with the Tianeptine. The prescribed dose doesn't really do much for me (?)

Ledo

Excitoxic death of nerve cells involves both the limitation of energy production, and increased cellular activation. Serotonin has both of these actions.

From this quote of Ray, can anyone explain why there would be any adaptive benefit to the organism of serotonin increasing cellular activation if the near term goal is to direct towards a state of torpor?

Ledo

@scarlettsmum, I have recently had tremendous success with small amounts of Cypro taken an hour before intended sleep in the range of 1/2 mg. I take it with 1000mg each taurine and glycine. I get a calm restful sleep sometimes never even wakening through the night. It has definitely taken the stress edge of sleeping but with none of the tired drugged feeling benadryl leaves.

I am thrilled such a small amount achieves this and it does have carry over for me even if I don't take it.

I have not yet taken other aminos.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

@scarlettsmum, I have recently had tremendous success with small amounts of Cypro taken an hour before intended sleep in the range of 1/2 mg. I take it with 1000mg each taurine and glycine. I get a calm restful sleep sometimes never even wakening through the night. It has definitely taken the stress edge of sleeping but with none of the tired drugged feeling benadryl leaves.

I am thrilled such a small amount achieves this and it does have carry over for me even if I don't take it.

I have not yet taken other aminos.

thanks for sharing, Ledo. I am glad it helps you with sleep, which is something I also have to work on. I am just a little bit discouraged by testimonials where people feel great whilst taking these things and then go back to feeling as before when they stop. I would hope to have some permanent positive results after some time of using either cypro or lysine. So that's one thing that puts me off a little bit. I am aware that one has to work on diet simultaneously, but I wonder if anyone had a permanent result from taking these? I will probably try both at some point. It's just that lysine is easier at the moment.

Makrosky

I stopped taking Tianeptine 4 weeks ago. Then last week I remembered I had some Lysine and took some. I noticed a feeling of wellbeing an hour or so later and have been using it x2 everyday. The serotonin feeling it gives is similar to tianeptine. But the higher dose [30mg] of Tianeptine [which maybe the opioid effect] is a more effective feeling. But, the feeling has a bitter taste if it is raising oestrogen and histamine which has been suggested. I will go back to Tianeptine again soon as i have become anti-social and feel indecisive/learned helplessness off it.

I am really trying to pin point what is going on physiologically with the Tianeptine. The prescribed dose doesn't really do much for me (?)
Biochemical individualities I would say.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals