Please Hack My Labs-High Blood Calcium

Uncaged

I would refrain from thyroid supplementation until you figure out why calcium is high. Depending on the cause, thyroid may make things worse. Ray said that aspirin is helpful in hypercalcemia but he did not elaborate if aspirin lowers serum calcium directly or protects against the toxic effects of high calcium.

I'm curious why you mention staying away from thyroid while calcium is high. I have high-ish calcium (10.0), low magnesium (1.7 serum/4.9 RBC), elevated PTH (41 pg/mL), and for the past couple years I've been using T3, now Tyromix. I wake up every morning with whole body spasms and the feeling of my GI tract vibrating like a cell phone, until it becomes painful and then I either feel nauseated or vomit. I haven't believed the thyroid to be at fault, because my temps and pulse are still low.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm curious why you mention staying away from thyroid while calcium is high. I have high-ish calcium (10.0), low magnesium (1.7 serum/4.9 RBC), elevated PTH (41 pg/mL), and for the past couple years I've been using T3, now Tyromix. I wake up every morning with whole body spasms and the feeling of my GI tract vibrating like a cell phone, until it becomes painful and then I either feel nauseated or vomit. I haven't believed the thyroid to be at fault, because my temps and pulse are still low.

This is a comment from 4 years ago.
Anyways, I saw some studies at that time showing that in people with high calcium, taking thyroid without addressing PTH, vitamin D and dietary calcium may increase calcium even further. When metabolism is stimulated but vitamin D and dietary calcium are sub-par it can increase bone resorption and thus further elevate serum calcium.
A major cause of hypercalcemia is high estrogen/prolactin so addressing those often improves the situation quickly and then thyroid can be reintroduced, provided the vitamin D, and dietary calcium are also addressed.

Uncaged

Anyways, I saw some studies at that time showing that in people with high calcium, taking thyroid without addressing PTH, vitamin D and dietary calcium may increase calcium even further. When metabolism is stimulated but vitamin D and dietary calcium are sub-par it can increase bone resorption and thus further elevate serum calcium.
A major cause of hypercalcemia is high estrogen/prolactin so addressing those often improves the situation quickly and then thyroid can be reintroduced, provided the vitamin D, and dietary calcium are also addressed.

Very good to know since I essentially did things the opposite of that. Thank you

colby

Hi Haidut,

What if you have high calcium serum 10.5 but all the other stuff you mentioned was in good range?

My calcium serum was 10.5 (range 8.9-10.1)
My PTH was 15.6 (range 15-65)
My calcium was 10.5 (8.4-10.2) is this different than serum?
My Vitamin D was 61.3 (range 20-80)
My Estradiol was 12 (range 11-44)- males
My prolactin was 8.8 (range 3.5-19.4)
TSH 2.05 (range .39-4.60)

I just noticed the OP had a low chloride number and so did I! We have very similar tests. My chloride was 97 (range 98-107)

The OP had a reading of 95. What does chloride being low mean?

Any ideas why my calcium is high and if I should lower it or is it okay with where it’s at?

I drink 4 cups of milk a day, is that too much?

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Haidut,

What if you have high calcium serum 10.5 but all the other stuff you mentioned was in good range?

My calcium serum was 10.5 (range 8.9-10.1)
My PTH was 15.6 (range 15-65)
My calcium was 10.5 (8.4-10.2) is this different than serum?
My Vitamin D was 61.3 (range 20-80)
My Estradiol was 12 (range 11-44)- males
My prolactin was 8.8 (range 3.5-19.4)
TSH 2.05 (range .39-4.60)

I just noticed the OP had a low chloride number and so did I! We have very similar tests. My chloride was 97 (range 98-107)

The OP had a reading of 95. What does chloride being low mean?

Any ideas why my calcium is high and if I should lower it or is it okay with where it’s at?

I drink 4 cups of milk a day, is that too much?
Your calcium is probably high because of your high vit D levels and possibly low magnesium. Luckily you're taking vit K that will help the calcium go to the right places. I don't think you have to worry about your calcium levels all that much, but maybe invest in a magnesium supplement. Mg is also very effective at lowering Hb1Ac and keeping cortisol under control.

Chloride is usually low because of excess aldosterone and cortisol. Aldosterone will retain sodium and that's why your sodium levels aren't low. If you don't urinate often and sometimes have to remind yourself to go, your aldosterone could be high. Or aldosterone can be normal, but cortisol elevated because cortisol also acts on the aldosterone receptor. Cortisol can also increase your TSH. Although your T4 is normal, a T3 test and maybe a rT3 test can help show how effectively your body is converting the thyroid hormones.
Another cause for low chloride could be due to low chloride intake from salt or food.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals