Plea To Charlie For A Backup Of The Site's Content

burtlancast

The Ray Peat forum has been around now for +8 years and i think it would be nice if Charlie could provide the members here with a downloadable backup of the site's content, like anyone could do individually with programs able to back up entire websites for offline browsing.

Cirion

Good idea. My favorite health forums to follow before this one was the anabolic men websites' forum, but then one day they suddenly went down and I was sad because there was lots of good content there.

Makrosky

The Ray Peat forum has been around now for +8 years and i think it would be nice if Charlie could provide the members here with a downloadable backup of the site's content, like anyone could do individually with programs able to back up entire websites for offline browsing.
You can do that yourself with tools like HTTrack, curl, etc... search engine and things like that won't work but threads will probably do.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

You can do that yourself with tools like HTTrack, curl, etc... search engine and things like that won't work but threads will probably do.

Actually i did back in 2013, but Charlie blocked my attempts thinking it was an attack, lol.

He contacted me, and after understanding the situation, we both agreed he would provide himself a backup of the site at a later date.

Otherwise, the server costs would be huge if different people used HTTrack like i did.

opson123

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can use wayback machine. You can at least browse the site and iirc download an older "savepoint". Things like search won't work though. I'm on a slow ipad and can't be bothered to verify, sorry.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can use wayback machine. You can at least browse the site and iirc download an older "savepoint". Things like search won't work though. I'm on a slow ipad and can't be bothered to verify, sorry.

Perhaps, although it would be time prohibitive.

But a mirror image of the entire site could be placed on a hosting site like Mega or others, would provide at once the entire site content for thousands of members here, and would not add to the server costs.

I think it's by far the best solution.

I can't afford to lose all Amazoniac's posts. We were supposed to be engaged some months ago.

Makrosky

Actually i did back in 2013, but Charlie blocked my attempts thinking it was an attack, lol.

He contacted me, and after understanding the situation, we both agreed he would provide himself a backup of the site at a later date.

Otherwise, the server costs would be huge if different people used HTTrack like i did.
Right. Good points.

How were the results with HTTrack though? Was it a pleasant experience to browse the offline site or it was broken everywhere? I'm curious.

One thing I do is having the evernote webclip plugin and I often capture (and tag properly) the things I find most important with a couple of clicks. It works quite well.

Makrosky

Perhaps, although it would be time prohibitive.

But a mirror image of the entire site could be placed on a hosting site like Mega or others, would provide at once the entire site content for thousands of members here, and would not add to the server costs.

I think it's by far the best solution.

I can't afford to lose all Amazoniac's posts. We were supposed to be engaged some months ago.
At this point I wish @Amazoniac the Oracle would create a post summarizing with what he thinks are the most important facts, specifically the ones that contradict Ray's views. Or the ones that we mostly overlook on the forum. He has readed and processed A LOT of info on the last years and it is all scattered on the forum. Difficult to view it in an ordered and practical manner.

TeaRex14

I've often wondered this about Peat's website and newsletters as well. I mean, the guy is what, 80 something already. Whenever he does finally kick the bucket a lot of his content could rapidly disappear.

lampofred

Will contribute $ for this if necessary

ilikecats

just lol if you think the demi god of a man RAY PEAT doesn't have a thouroughly thought out contigency plan for if he kicks the bucket.

Makrosky

I've often wondered this about Peat's website and newsletters as well. I mean, the guy is what, 80 something already. Whenever he does finally kick the bucket a lot of his content could rapidly disappear.
It is really easy to download all his articles and save them locally.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals