Plasticisers (bpa, Dehp) Boost Pufa, Estrogen, Cortisol & Block Glucose Oxidation

haidut

Forum Supporter
While the FDA continues to claim that BPA and other plastic derivatives are harmless since no known mechanism exists to explain their effects, the mechanisms of action have been quite well known for decades. BPA specifically is an estrogen "receptor" agonist more potent than estradiol, AND also thyroid "receptor" antagonist. Pretty nasty stuff.
This most recent study underscores once again the intimate relationship between estrogen, thyroid and metabolism. BPA and other plasticisers were found to increase PUFA levels in the blood and block glucose metabolism. Not surprising, considering the mechanisms of action I described above but for some reason the researchers conclude that their is no "conclusive clarification" on how the chemical exerts its nasty effects. I supposed it is a ritual all scientists engage in order to appease the powers that be when their study goes against the dogma.
The actual study beyound the abstract is quiet telling actually, and it clearly says that plasticisers increase estrogen and cortisol signalling. Finally, a very important side note is the confirmation that blood levels of steroids are NOT indicative of tissue levels and activity. While the treatment with the toxin DEHP strongly increased signalling of estrogen and cortisol in tissues, it actually decreased estrogen and progesterone levels in blood. So, another point for Peat and his views on the unreliability of blood hormone tests.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-01-metabolic-pathways-responsible-weight-gain.html

"...The work at the UFZ focused on defining the metabolic products in the mice's blood. The researchers determined that the proportion of unsaturated fatty acids in the blood increased and the glucose metabolism was disrupted under the influence of phthalates. The composition of receptors in the blood also changed. These receptors are important for general metabolism and may cause it to change. "Some metabolic products that are formed by adipose tissue also act as messengers and control functions in other organs," explained von Bergen. "However, there is no conclusive clarification of how the various effects of phthalates on metabolism influence each other and ultimately lead to weight gain."

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0143190
"..."...We observed in female mice that DEHP treatment causes enhanced weight gain, fat mass, impaired insulin tolerance, changes in circulating adiponectin and adipose tissue Pparg, adiponectin and estrogen expression. Serum metabolomics indicated a general increase in phospholipid and carnitine concentrations. In vitro, DEHP treatment increases the proliferation rate and alters glucose uptake in adipocytes. Taken together, DEHP has significant effects on adipose tissue (AT) function and alters specific serum metabolites. Although, DEHP treatment led to significantly impaired insulin tolerance, it did not affect glucose tolerance, HOMA-IR, fasting glucose, insulin or triglyceride serum concentrations. This may suggest that DEHP treatment does not cause impaired glucose metabolism at the whole body level."

"...To further elucidate potential mechanisms of increased body weight gain and fat mass in female 129S6 mice, we measured expression of estrogen receptor (Esr1) and glucocorticoid receptor (Glur) in subcutaneous (SC) and epigonadal (visceral) adipose tissue (Fig 1J). Importantly, higher DEHP exposure was associated with significantly 8-fold elevated Esr1 protein levels in both, SC and visceral adipose tissue compared to controls (p<0.01) (Fig 1I and 1M). A similar, but not significant trend towards higher expression upon DEHP exposure was observed for the glucocorticoid receptor (Fig 1J and 1M). Circulating serum estrogen (Fig 1H) and progesterone (Table 1) levels were decreased in DEHP treated mice. Serum triglycerides, cholesterol and serum glycerol levels (Table 1) were not affected by DEHP exposure in female mice."

"...In conclusion, our data provide evidence that chronic DEHP treatment causes increased body weight, fat mass and altered serum metabolites in a gender specific manner, which could be mediated by a DEHP-induced increase in estrogen receptor expression and reduced Pparg expression in adipose tissue. Although, DEHP treatment led to significantly impaired insulin tolerance, it did not affect glucose tolerance, HOMA-IR, fasting glucose, insulin or triglyceride serum concentrations. This may suggest that DEHP treatment does not cause impaired glucose metabolism at the whole body level."

"...Circulating serum estrogen (Fig 1H) and progesterone (Table 1) levels were decreased in DEHP treated mice. Serum triglycerides, cholesterol and serum glycerol levels (Table 1) were not affected by DEHP exposure in female mice."

jyb

Any idea as to how something can increase serum unsaturated fatty acids specifically, as opposed to saturated? Unless it's just an association because the participants have abnormal level of unsaturated fatty acids in their tissues caused by eating a conventional diet.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any idea as to how something can increase serum unsaturated fatty acids specifically, as opposed to saturated? Unless it's just an association because the participants have abnormal level of unsaturated fatty acids in their tissues caused by eating a conventional diet.

Yes, estrogen increases serum PUFA and DEHP was found to be potently estrogenic. I guess any lipolytic substance would have this effect but estrogen and PUFA have a very close relationship with boosting each other's effects.

Also, see this:
Overall distribution of metabolites is shown in the volcano plot (Fig 2A and S1 Table), indicating a general shift towards higher mean values for many lipids and carnitines. We found a clear trend both for lipids and carnitines, that the unsaturated forms are increased, whereas the saturated forms are not changed or even downregulated by DEHP exposure. As an example, the acyl-acyl forms of phosphatidylcholines containing 38 carbon atoms in their fatty acid chain are shown in more detail in Fig 2B. Similar behavior was found for carnitines and acyl-ethyl forms of phospholipids. DEHP treatment led to lowering of aspartate and kynurenine, but not ADMA and ornithine (Fig 2B).

Not only did DEHP increase PUFA levels in the blood but also changed the composition of the phospholipids, including phosphatidylcholine. Ray has written about the increasing unsaturation of phospholipids and especially cardiolipin with aging and disease. DEHP had the same effects.

"...Overall distribution of metabolites is shown in the volcano plot (Fig 2A and S1 Table), indicating a general shift towards higher mean values for many lipids and carnitines. We found a clear trend both for lipids and carnitines, that the unsaturated forms are increased, whereas the saturated forms are not changed or even downregulated by DEHP exposure. As an example, the acyl-acyl forms of phosphatidylcholines containing 38 carbon atoms in their fatty acid chain are shown in more detail in Fig 2B. Similar behavior was found for carnitines and acyl-ethyl forms of phospholipids. DEHP treatment led to lowering of aspartate and kynurenine, but not ADMA and ornithine (Fig 2B)."

hmac

Perhaps one of the major issues with the diet that most people initially interpret from Peat's writing is that it is likely to hugely increase your exposure to BPA etc - the majority of foods being liquid and found in plastic bottles.

Makrosky

VERY interesting haidut, thanks!!!

What are the major sources of BPA and DEHP ? Plastic bottles ? Mouth guards ? Dental fillings ? Plastic cookware ?

Is there any chart listing the most dangerous plastics and where are they found ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
VERY interesting haidut, thanks!!!

What are the major sources of BPA and DEHP ? Plastic bottles ? Mouth guards ? Dental fillings ? Plastic cookware ?

Is there any chart listing the most dangerous plastics and where are they found ?

BPA is pretty much everywhere - soda cans, plastic containers of any sort, soup cans, bottle caps, tap water, any kind of commercially bought prepared food, etc.
Plastics with codes 3, 6, and 7 should be avoided at all cost. Even official medicine recognizes that exposure to BPA is a risk factor for breast cancer (among others). See below.
http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/plastic

CoolTweetPete

BPA is pretty much everywhere - soda cans, plastic containers of any sort, soup cans, bottle caps, tap water, any kind of commercially bought prepared food, etc.
Plastics with codes 3, 6, and 7 should be avoided at all cost. Even official medicine recognizes that exposure to BPA is a risk factor for breast cancer (among others). See below.
http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/plastic

Thank you Haidut, for this, and for continually elucidating potential concerns in our environment. It's really appreciated.

I have been using a "BPA-free" Nalgene (brand) plastic water container for several years, thinking I was avoiding BPA, but I just checked the bottom and it is plastic code #7. Here is the explanation from Nalgene's website.

What does the #7 represent?
Most plastic containers are marked (usually on the bottom) with a number within a triangle with arrows – commonly known as a recycling symbol. These numbers, known as the resin identification coding system, were created in 1988 to facilitate recycling programs across the country. These recycling numbers can range from #1 to #7, depending on the type of plastic. The #7 recycling label is a catchall indicator for plastics made with a resin other than those in the #1 to #6 designations, or made of more than one resin. The #7 category not only includes polycarbonate, but also includes compostable plastics made of organic material and other types of plastic that do not necessarily contain BPA (Bisphenol-A). For example, our new Everyday™ line manufactured with Eastman’s Tritan™ copolyester is a #7, but does not include BPA.

I really don't like the sound of that 'necessarily'. Do these #7 plastics contain BPA in spite of their claims, or one of the other problematic plasticisers you mentioned above?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you Haidut, for this, and for continually elucidating potential concerns in our environment. It's really appreciated.

I have been using a "BPA-free" Nalgene (brand) plastic water container for several years, thinking I was avoiding BPA, but I just checked the bottom and it is plastic code #7. Here is the explanation from Nalgene's website.

What does the #7 represent?
Most plastic containers are marked (usually on the bottom) with a number within a triangle with arrows – commonly known as a recycling symbol. These numbers, known as the resin identification coding system, were created in 1988 to facilitate recycling programs across the country. These recycling numbers can range from #1 to #7, depending on the type of plastic. The #7 recycling label is a catchall indicator for plastics made with a resin other than those in the #1 to #6 designations, or made of more than one resin. The #7 category not only includes polycarbonate, but also includes compostable plastics made of organic material and other types of plastic that do not necessarily contain BPA (Bisphenol-A). For example, our new Everyday™ line manufactured with Eastman’s Tritan™ copolyester is a #7, but does not include BPA.

I really don't like the sound of that 'necessarily'. Do these #7 plastics contain BPA in spite of their claims, or one of the other problematic plasticisers you mentioned above?

There was a study back in 2001 that showed ALL tested plastics contained some amount of BPA, regardless of the numbering. The FDA ignores that fact and stipulates "safe" allowed levels of BPA in food, containers, etc even though those "safe" levels have been found to cause gender switch in many animals. I specifically buy bottles for my supplements that the manufacturer claims contain no leachable material and no BPA, BPS, etc. Nothing is completely safe so it comes down to limiting the damage under imperfect conditions.

thegiantess

Super informative, thanks for posting! My understanding is that one of the worst possible things you can do is heat food in plastic. I don't know how many times I've seen people microwave their lunch in a plastic container... Makes me cringe every time.

Also, not sure where I read it, but I recall seeing a list of things "experts," would avoid ingesting at all costs. On the top of one list ( I think he was an environmental scientist of some kind ) was tinned tomatoes. He stated that the acidity of the tomato combined with the can would cause a lot of chemical leaching into the tomato. I imagine the same would go for orange juice in a plastic bottle.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Super informative, thanks for posting! My understanding is that one of the worst possible things you can do is heat food in plastic. I don't know how many times I've seen people microwave their lunch in a plastic container... Makes me cringe every time.

Also, not sure where I read it, but I recall seeing a list of things "experts," would avoid ingesting at all costs. On the top of one list ( I think he was an environmental scientist of some kind ) was tinned tomatoes. He stated that the acidity of the tomato combined with the can would cause a lot of chemical leaching into the tomato. I imagine the same would go for orange juice in a plastic bottle.

I agree, anything acidic will make the plastic leach even more. Unfortunately, sugar-sweetened Pepsi (which is my obsession) is only sold in plastic bottles. I think these plasticisers have less of an ability to disrupt things when metabolism is well-functioning. Vitamin E and caffeine have also been shown to protect (to a degree) from the effects of BPA.

tara

Do these plasticisers leach into fat more than into water?

My understanding is that one of the worst possible things you can do is heat food in plastic. I don't know how many times I've seen people microwave their lunch in a plastic container... Makes me cringe every time.
Yeah. I used to do this for years. Last few years I'm much fussier - lots of glass containers, only occasional plastics for in the freezer. Hoping they leach less in cold than hot.

Philomath

I agree, anything acidic will make the plastic leach even more. Unfortunately, sugar-sweetened Pepsi (which is my obsession) is only sold in plastic bottles. I think these plasticisers have less of an ability to disrupt things when metabolism is well-functioning. Vitamin E and caffeine have also been shown to protect (to a degree) from the effects of BPA.
Pepsi_Sugar_12.png my obsession too. Next time you drive through Chicago, load up on cans

tara

my obsession too. Next time you drive through Chicago, load up on cans
Would that be aluminium cans? With or without plastic lining? :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would that be aluminium cans? With or without plastic lining? :)

Yeah, the cans are just as bad and sometimes even worse plasticiser offenders than plastic bottles. Anything canned really but the soda ones have been specifically studied for that effect. Receipts, especially from gas stations, are also very high in BPA and have a special kind that attaches to your skin and cannot be washed off. If the receipt is glossy it probably has high levels of BPA or some other similar toxin.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do these plasticisers leach into fat more than into water?

Yeah. I used to do this for years. Last few years I'm much fussier - lots of glass containers, only occasional plastics for in the freezer. Hoping they leach less in cold than hot.

Yes, that is the main problem with BPA, DEHP, etc - they are all fat-soluble and accumulate in our adipose cells. I think tocopherol, progesterone and caffeine can actually get the poison out of the cell and the liver will treat it as estrogen and try to excrete it...provided you eat sufficient protein and have enough B1/B2 vitamins of course:):

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

thegiantess

Yeah, the cans are just as bad and sometimes even worse plasticiser offenders than plastic bottles. Anything canned really but the soda ones have been specifically studied for that effect. Receipts, especially from gas stations, are also very high in BPA and have a special kind that attaches to your skin and cannot be washed off. If the receipt is glossy it probably has high levels of BPA or some other similar toxin.

Crap. I drink La Croix canned sparkling water like it's my job. I had no idea about cans. Is nothing safe?! The more I learn, the more I am certain we are all screwed.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Crap. I drink La Croix canned sparkling water like it's my job. I had no idea about cans. Is nothing safe?! The more I learn, the more I am certain we are all screwed.

I think glass and clay containers are still relatively safe, but don't on that indefinitely. The entire premise of the dietary industry is to monitor consumption preferences as perfectly as possible and and immediately capitalize on a shift in consumption to say glass containers. If the shift is considered big enough, the industry moves to lower cost of production of say glass containers by any means possible, including replacing them with identically looking containers made from "glass-like" material, which probably contains some toxic substance inside. Then, pre-emptively find or manufacture studies touting the safety and green-friendliness of the compound. Most people have no idea just how manipulated they are in virtually every interaction they have with the "public" world around them. Most of it is not public and the part that is public is owned by corporations as well through government contracting. When people got angry at the government for spying on them, I thought it was funny in a bad way. Out of the 17mil total government workforce only about 1mil are government employees. Everybody else is a contractor and the people doing the actual spying all the way up except the very top positions are all private employees whose sole goal is profit to the very end. The person who did the calculations is a professor at NYU. He published a study that found that more than 80% of your legal interactions with the world are owned by only a few companies. Here is some of his work:
https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/faculty/publications/lightFactTrueSize.pdf
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0815752652/?tag=rapefo-20

With that is mind I'll go and take some BCAA/tyrosine with sugar Coke to combat the learned helplessness that the above picture generates.

Hugh Johnson

https://www.google.fi/search?q=BPA&...ourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=BPA+liver+

Google shows a bunch of studies associating BPA and liver damage. Since we know that liver removes PUFA, it might be reasonable to assume the increased PUFA is a result of BPA burdening and damaging the liver.