Plant-Based Diet Causes Lasting Genetic Mutations

L

lollipop

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:
A new study claiming vegetarian diet, specifically PUFA, causes DNA mutations.

Positive selection on a regulatory insertion-deletion polymorphism in FADS2 influences apparent endogenous synthesis of arachidonic acid

Are we what we eat?
Evidence of vegetarian diet permanently shaping human genome to change individual risk of cancer, heart disease
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160329184939.htm
I saw this also and wanted to post :hearteyes: telling imho!!

tonto

PeatingMama - thanks for posting. I cut and pasted this from 1st article ... interesting...

"Homo sapiens evolved eating a diet characterized by 4:1 to 1:1 ratio of n-6/n-3 PUFA (Eaton, et al. 1998). Based on the diet of evolutionary adaptedness (DEA), the overall n-6/n-3 estimate was found to be about 0.79 (Eaton, et al. 1998), whereas, the modern Western diet has undergone an extraordinary increase in n-6 linoleic acid resulting in a ratio above 10/1, and is likely to be even higher in Indian diet, estimate to be 20-50 (Raheja, et al. 1993; Simopoulos 2002). Substantial evidence has accumulated that this dramatic shift is a risk factor for lifestyle related diseases, such as cardiovascular, diabetes, cancer, and inflammation-related diseases (Raheja, et al. 1993; Simopoulos 2002). Most commercially produced seed oils, sunflower, safflower, peanut, grapeseed, cottonseed and corn, contain very high levels of n-6 LA; individuals with I/I genotype having higher metabolic capacity to convert precursors to longer chain PUFA may be at increased risk for proinflammatory disease states as they efficiently convert LA to ARA. Put another way, individuals with the I/I genotype may be vulnerable to ill health when adopting a diet rich in n-6 LA which severely reduce synthesis of anti-inflammatory n-3 LCPUFA because n-6 competes with n-3 to access the Δ-6 desaturase enzyme. Moreover, n-6 PUFA compete with and antagonize against incorporation of n-3 PUFA into tissue (Alvheim, et al. 2012), challenging the metabolic requirement for structural n-3 PUFA that are especially concentrated in neural tissue (Diau, et al. 2005)."​

CDT

Why are they picking on vegetarianism? The hell? Every SAD dieter and person who consumes feedlot "anything" has jacked up Omega 6s.Love how they did this study in India and assumed people are vegetarian. People in India eat crap too, if not worse because of Westernization. They fry they food to oblivion, which is condemned in all health protocols. If you eat a balanced, minimal oil, minimally processed vegetarian diet, you would be totally healthy. The thing is, you have to prepare a lot of these things yourself, which no one wants to do. Its much easier to slap some bird carcass on the stove and shove it between 2 pieces of bread and flavor it with plant sauces so it doesn't go down so bad.

mujuro

Why are they picking on vegetarianism? The hell? Every SAD dieter and person who consumes feedlot "anything" has jacked up Omega 6s.Love how they did this study in India and assumed people are vegetarian. People in India eat crap too, if not worse because of Westernization. They fry they food to oblivion, which is condemned in all health protocols. If you eat a balanced, minimal oil, minimally processed vegetarian diet, you would be totally healthy. The thing is, you have to prepare a lot of these things yourself, which no one wants to do. Its much easier to slap some bird carcass on the stove and shove it between 2 pieces of bread and flavor it with plant sauces so it doesn't go down so bad.

Pretty much. I eat plant based and my PUFA is about 3g per day on a strict day. And as you’ve said, it can be quite bland, most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom