Plain (unmodified) Adamantane Is A Powerful Inhibitor Of NO Synthesis

haidut

Forum Supporter
Many people on the forum are familiar with the beneficial properties of adamantane and its derivatives. However, most of the research conducted on the beneficial effects of these chemicals has been with adamantane derivatives such as amantadine, memantine, rimantadine, bromantane, etc. When we released our supplement Diamant (which contains unmodified adamantane) a few users such as @Name1 criticized the supplement by claiming that there is no data showing unmodified adamantane has any beneficial effects. Well, while the hunt for more studies continues, I was pleased to find the study below, which shows that in higher concentrations unmodified adamantane was much more effective then derivatives like amantadine and memantine in inhibiting NO synthesis caused by endotoxin (NO). And unlike derivatives like amantadine, unmodified adamantane did not have any toxicity in higher concentrations. For more detailed information please look at Fig. 2 on page 2150 from the study.

Microglia-inhibiting activity of Parkinson's disease drug amantadine. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Amantadine at concentrations higher than 40 M was not used due to cytotoxicity (data not shown). Effects of compounds structurally similar to amantadine on microglial NO production were next tested (Fig. 2). Adamantane, 2-adamantanamine, and 1,3-dimethyladamantane showed greater inhibitory effects than amantadine. However, a unique functional group in 2-adamantanone appeared to decrease the inhibitory effects. No significant cytotoxicity was observed for any compounds under the conditions tested. The LPS induced NO production was similarly decreased by amantadine and memantine in mouse primary microglia cultures, HAPI rat microglial cells (Fig. 3), RAW 264.7 macrophage cells, and astrocytes (Supplementary Fig. 3)."

Dhair

@haidut My only concern with adamantane is that its ability to extend the half life of other substances that it is taken with could be potentially dangerous, and given that so many people have a tendency to stack supps, there should be more discussion about what kind of effects this may or may not have, especially if combining some of these supplements with adamantane allows them to efficiently cross the blood-brain barrier. I understand that longer half life of anything could be seen as a selling point, but I see this as venturing into unknown territory.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut My only concern with adamantane is that its ability to extend the half life of other substances that it is taken with could be potentially dangerous, and given that so many people have a tendency to stack supps, there should be more discussion about what kind of effects this may or may not have, especially if combining some of these supplements with adamantane allows them to efficiently cross the blood-brain barrier. I understand that longer half life of anything could be seen as a selling point, but I see this as venturing into unknown territory.

I agree completely, and as a safety precaution I would lower the dose of anything else taken by a factor of 2-5 when taken with any adamantane chemical.

nikkmm

I agree completely, and as a safety precaution I would lower the dose of anything else taken by a factor of 2-5 when taken with any adamantane chemical.
Do you know of any personal accounts from people who have used both bromantane and diamant (separately of course)? Would like to know what other users have experienced or noticed as different or similar between the two

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you know of any personal accounts from people who have used both bromantane and diamant (separately of course)? Would like to know what other users have experienced or noticed as different or similar between the two

There are a few reports in the Diamant thread from people who have used amantadine, rimantadine and bromantane and apparently they were all much less noticeable in terms of effects, while adamantane was quite potent and these people could only handle no more than 10mg at a time. If you go through it you should be able to find them.

You misunderstand, the adamantane moiety, when combined/attached to a molecule, extends the half-life of said molecule, when compared to said molecule without the adamantane moiety. But adamantane by itself when taken at the same time as a separate supplement doesn't effect the half life of anything.

For example, bolmantalate has a very long half life compared to nandrolone, because the adamantane molecule is attached to it. Taking adamantane and nandrolone separately, but at the same time, would have no effect on nandrolones half life.

ddjd

Many people on the forum are familiar with the beneficial properties of adamantane and its derivatives. However, most of the research conducted on the beneficial effects of these chemicals has been with adamantane derivatives such as amantadine, memantine, rimantadine, bromantane, etc. When we released our supplement Diamant (which contains unmodified adamantane) a few users such as @Name1 criticized the supplement by claiming that there is no data showing unmodified adamantane has any beneficial effects. Well, while the hunt for more studies continues, I was pleased to find the study below, which shows that in higher concentrations unmodified adamantane was much more effective then derivatives like amantadine and memantine in inhibiting NO synthesis caused by endotoxin (NO). And unlike derivatives like amantadine, unmodified adamantane did not have any toxicity in higher concentrations. For more detailed information please look at Fig. 2 on page 2150 from the study.

Microglia-inhibiting activity of Parkinson's disease drug amantadine. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Amantadine at concentrations higher than 40 M was not used due to cytotoxicity (data not shown). Effects of compounds structurally similar to amantadine on microglial NO production were next tested (Fig. 2). Adamantane, 2-adamantanamine, and 1,3-dimethyladamantane showed greater inhibitory effects than amantadine. However, a unique functional group in 2-adamantanone appeared to decrease the inhibitory effects. No significant cytotoxicity was observed for any compounds under the conditions tested. The LPS induced NO production was similarly decreased by amantadine and memantine in mouse primary microglia cultures, HAPI rat microglial cells (Fig. 3), RAW 264.7 macrophage cells, and astrocytes (Supplementary Fig. 3)."
No details on which NO isoform ?

Dhair

You misunderstand, the adamantane moiety, when combined/attached to a molecule, extends the half-life of said molecule, when compared to said molecule without the adamantane moiety. But adamantane by itself when taken at the same time as a separate supplement doesn't effect the half life of anything.

For example, bolmantalate has a very long half life compared to nandrolone, because the adamantane molecule is attached to it. Taking adamantane and nandrolone separately, but at the same time, would have no effect on nandrolones half life.
Didn't see this reply...
I don't think you're correct about this at all. At least functionally it clearly has a potentiating effect on any chemical/substance that it is taken with. This claim is also made by haidut and backed up by my own personal experience. There are studies demonstrating this effect on the forum.

Didn't see this reply...
I don't think you're correct about this at all. At least functionally it clearly has a potentiating effect on any chemical/substance that it is taken with. This claim is also made by haidut and backed up by my own personal experience. There are studies demonstrating this effect on the forum.

You're 100% wrong. Go look at any of the original statements haidut made, or look at the sources he used: they are referring to adamantane being attached to the molecule. There is not a single source stating simply using adamantane with another molecule extends the half life of said molecule.

I keep seeing this repeated and it's just a strong misunderstanding of something haidut mentioned off hand but wasn't 100% clear about (and which he continues subtly encouraging for some reason even though it seems he clearly knew and understoof in his OP that the half life effect is only when adamantane is attached). When he said adamantane increased the half life or potency of a substance he was referring to compounds like Bolmantalate.

I mean, just find me a single source for adamantane extending the half life or effects of a substance when not attached to it. Defend the claim being made.

Adamantane likely increases the absorption of other chemicala because of how lipophilic it is, and this might increase potency, but extending the half life? No.

When directly attached however, it sure as hell inceases the half life, by a lot.

Let me give you an example of what you're saying. Let's think of testosterone vs testosterone esters (like test acetate (vinegar) or propionate or... adamantate).

Raw test isn't commonly used because injections must be done daily (or EOD IIRC). However when test is esterified (a fatty acid is attached to it), it's half life increases proprtionally to the length of the fatty acid, when being injected. This is because the longer the fatty acid, the less mobile the test is, thus it takes longer for it to enter the body and be broken down into test.

So as an analogy, you're basically saying that test acetate can be replicated by dumping raw test into vinegar and then injecting it. What you're saying is that the simple half life increasing effects of acetic acid is due to the presence of it alone even when unattached.

Bolmantalate is the ultimate example and ender of this discussion. This is actually the main compound haidut was referring to when he said it increases the half life of other substances, it was the only one he linked when referring to half life increasing.

Bolmantalate is nandrolone (an anabolic/androgenic steroid) with an adamantane ester (similar to an acetate or propionate ester). Bolmantalate has an 8 week half life, while nornal fatty acid esters of nandrolone have half lives of around a day (short chains like acetate) to a week or two (decanate).

What you're saying is that I could take adamantane and nandrolone and adamantane would have an 8 week half life.

See? Just a misunderstanding. The half life extension referred to derivative compounds containing adamantane.

Does what I'm saying make sense to you?

Dhair

You're 100% wrong. Go look at any of the original statements haidut made, or look at the sources he used: they are referring to adamantane being attached to the molecule. There is not a single source stating simply using adamantane with another molecule extends the half life of said molecule.

I keep seeing this repeated and it's just a strong misunderstanding of something haidut mentioned off hand but wasn't 100% clear about (and which he continues subtly encouraging for some reason even though it seems he clearly knew and understoof in his OP that the half life effect is only when adamantane is attached). When he said adamantane increased the half life or potency of a substance he was referring to compounds like Bolmantalate.

I mean, just find me a single source for adamantane extending the half life or effects of a substance when not attached to it. Defend the claim being made.

Adamantane likely increases the absorption of other chemicala because of how lipophilic it is, and this might increase potency, but extending the half life? No.

When directly attached however, it sure as hell inceases the half life, by a lot.

Let me give you an example of what you're saying. Let's think of testosterone vs testosterone esters (like test acetate (vinegar) or propionate or... adamantate).

Raw test isn't commonly used because injections must be done daily (or EOD IIRC). However when test is esterified (a fatty acid is attached to it), it's half life increases proprtionally to the length of the fatty acid, when being injected. This is because the longer the fatty acid, the less mobile the test is, thus it takes longer for it to enter the body and be broken down into test.

So as an analogy, you're basically saying that test acetate can be replicated by dumping raw test into vinegar and then injecting it. What you're saying is that the simple half life increasing effects of acetic acid is due to the presence of it alone even when unattached.

Bolmantalate is the ultimate example and ender of this discussion. This is actually the main compound haidut was referring to when he said it increases the half life of other substances, it was the only one he linked when referring to half life increasing.

Bolmantalate is nandrolone (an anabolic/androgenic steroid) with an adamantane ester (similar to an acetate or propionate ester). Bolmantalate has an 8 week half life, while nornal fatty acid esters of nandrolone have half lives of around a day (short chains like acetate) to a week or two (decanate).

What you're saying is that I could take adamantane and nandrolone and adamantane would have an 8 week half life.

See? Just a misunderstanding. The half life extension referred to derivative compounds containing adamantane.

Does what I'm saying make sense to you?
I understand very well everything you're saying.
I'm not sure that my statement warrants this kind of response, but whatever...
Dude, if you think haidut is making false claims about his product, then take it up with him. I have nothing to do with that.
If you doubt the potentiation factor then mix a steroid with adamantane and see if it's more powerful than using the steroid by itself. It doesn't matter to me if it doesn't technically extend the half life or not. The effects for myself are dramatic and undeniable.
I don't know what to tell you. :thumbsup:

I understand very well everything you're saying.
I'm not sure that my statement warrants this kind of response, but whatever...
Dude, if you think haidut is making false claims about his product, then take it up with him. I have nothing to do with that.
If you doubt the potentiation factor then mix a steroid with adamantane and see if it's more powerful than using the steroid by itself. It doesn't matter to me if it doesn't technically extend the half life or not. The effects for myself are dramatic and undeniable.
I don't know what to tell you. :thumbsup:

My apologies if it seemed I was attacking you, it was not my intention.

I have seen the half life extension thing said around here and wanted to make the subject absolutely clear.

I don't doubt the potentiation factor at all and never said anything about it, I just explained why the idea that it extends the half life of other substances when used with them is wrong. That kind of misinformation is not good for people who won't take the time to read deeply on the subject.