Pityriasis Alba

dfspcc20

Does anyone know what causes and potentially fixes Pityriasis Alba?

My almost 6 year old son has had it since he was a baby. It's not really noticeable unless he's been getting a lot of sun; the affected spots don't tan. It doesn't cause him any discomfort or anything.

He did have eczema when he was younger, but that has since resolved. The wikipedia page states that it might be related to eczema. Maybe it will just take longer for those patches to get pigment back(?). I thought it was getting better overall, but then this summer he got some patches back on his cheeks.

Pityriasis alba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

FYI. I've emailed Ray Peat about this. His response: no experience with it. :(

Pointless

Topical hydroxyb12 is good for eczema because it reduces nitric oxide, and nitric oxide reducing cream is mentioned as a promising treatment for pityriasis versicolor.

I use da Vinci liquid hydroxyb12. It just has water, glycerine, and potassium sorbate.

Koveras

Does anyone know what causes and potentially fixes Pityriasis Alba?

My almost 6 year old son has had it since he was a baby. It's not really noticeable unless he's been getting a lot of sun; the affected spots don't tan. It doesn't cause him any discomfort or anything.

He did have eczema when he was younger, but that has since resolved. The wikipedia page states that it might be related to eczema. Maybe it will just take longer for those patches to get pigment back(?). I thought it was getting better overall, but then this summer he got some patches back on his cheeks.

Pityriasis alba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems to start with mild dermatitis and progress - and is sometimes considered a form of atopic dermatitis.

Looking into dermatitis here may give you some clues.

Looking into histamine here may give you some clues.

Of course I would be especially cautious/wary of any supplements or pharmaceuticals at this age for something mild, so maybe food is the best first thing to look into.

Have you looked into deficiencies of

-B Vitamins (B1 (thiamin) ,B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin))
-Vitamin C
-Vitamin D
-Vitamin A
-Copper

Could be useful to look at a food history in cronometer, although you'd have to take special note of the requirements for his age.

Edit: Viral infections was one other thing that came up, although again taking the cautious approach, maybe fixing any nutritional deficiencies with food would get the immune system in order

Last edited:
OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Topical hydroxyb12 is good for eczema because it reduces nitric oxide, and nitric oxide reducing cream is mentioned as a promising treatment for pityriasis versicolor.

So I wonder if that would mean topical methylene blue could be helpful, since it reduces NO. Too bad that affected areas are on his cheeks...

Have you looked into deficiencies of

I've considered that, especially the B vitamins. It's hard enough getting adequate amounts from foods. And as those here with young children can probably attest to, you can provide the best quality food, but that doesn't mean your kids will eat it.

tara

And as those here with young children can probably attest to, you can provide the best quality food, but that doesn't mean your kids will eat it.
Yip. Haven't found a way to entice mine to liver yet either.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals