Piracetam

Lucy

I read some very positive testimonials regarding piracetam so I went ahead and asked dr. Peat about it. He replied:

I have heard that the quality of the product from different countries varies; I think they have preferred the one made in Belgium. It's possible that it could help with adaptation to a thyroid supplement, but it's important to use enough thyroid hormone to keep TSH low.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

Combie

Lucy said:
I read some very positive testimonials regarding piracetam so I went ahead and asked dr. Peat about it. He replied:

I have heard that the quality of the product from different countries varies; I think they have preferred the one made in Belgium. It's possible that it could help with adaptation to a thyroid supplement, but it's important to use enough thyroid hormone to keep TSH low.

I have used piracetam and found it made me very angry. Sufficient choline is a must I'm told. Don't think my body wa ready for it, I have a huge bag in my supp cupboard. Gonna experiment maybe next month depending on how it's going with everything else. If Rays ok with it, so am I!

OP
L

Lucy

That's interesting, Combie. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes when you try it next!

kiran

Combie said:
I have used piracetam and found it made me very angry. Sufficient choline is a must I'm told. Don't think my body wa ready for it, I have a huge bag in my supp cupboard. Gonna experiment maybe next month depending on how it's going with everything else. If Rays ok with it, so am I!

It makes me angry too. Choline isn't directly required, and probably is a bad idea if you have a tendency to get depressed.

Ray Peat said there isn't enough research on Piracetam. I agree. Judging by various testimonials, the results are way too varied. The first two times I took it, I was super focused - almost like 2.5mg of Adderall (which I only had once in my life - amazing stuff) without the side effects. Ever other time I took Piracetam, though, I became insanely tired and unable to focus. I had to pull over driving because I thought I would crash. Taking extra choline did not affect that response.

BobbyDukes

There was a honeymoon period with it for me, but, looking back, it was probably hypomania.

BobbyDukes said:
There was a honeymoon period with it for me, but, looking back, it was probably hypomania.

Which is the desired effect :mrgreen:

BobbyDukes

Such_Saturation said:
BobbyDukes said:

Which is the desired effect :mrgreen:

Haha, yeah. It was pretty amazing. Everything was colourful; my dreams were really vivid and extremely crazy. My mood and energy were great. I could work two/three 16 hour shifts in a row and not even be tired at the end of it. But then it stops working, and makes you angry, depressed and irritable. It never worked for me ever again. Despite numerous attempts. Oh well, it's not the only thing that I've become tolerant to. Another reason why, for me, diet is paramount. I haven't come across anything yet that will keep working. Homeostasis is a b****.

I find noopept works consistently if you push the dosage, but it is not worth it since it's still not like the early piracetam, and there is also a strong stimulation of digestive systems which can bring on gastritis in my opinion.

barbwirehouse

It's expensive and if it was really that great I'm sure we'd see more reports of it being omg so great.

Overhyped.

Oh it goes from cheaper than many vitamins to cheaper than most supplements, depending on what kind of service you are after. I remember one of the first times I was trying it I could follow a lesson and also visualize different polyhedrons around the teacher's head, I could spin them and such. And you know all those things you can't handle in your head at once? Well you can at that point, definitely.

Daimyo

I have tried noopept few times in my pre-peating days. It had a stimulating effect on me, though it couldn't beat ephedrine. I will try it soon. With good nutrition it should show it's value.

DaveFoster

Lucy said:
post 7864 I read some very positive testimonials regarding piracetam so I went ahead and asked dr. Peat about it. He replied:

I'm bumping this to get some verification. Previously, I tried noopept with good results, but how could Peat endorse a cholinergic substance when he equally endorses anticholinergic drugs such as cyproheptadine and further views acetylcholine as an excitotoxin?

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanK

DaveFoster said:
post 108886
Lucy said:
post 7864 I read some very positive testimonials regarding piracetam so I went ahead and asked dr. Peat about it. He replied:

I'm bumping this to get some verification. Previously, I tried noopept with good results, but how could Peat endorse a cholinergic substance when he equally endorses anticholinergic drugs such as cyproheptadine and further views acetylcholine as an excitotoxin?
He doesnt recommend it or any methyl donor. Not everyone needs to take a choline substance in tandem. They say some people are "choline dominant". I am one of those people and taking choline makes zero differemce. Probably because i use nicotine, which excites choline receptors directly. Piracetam as an anticholinergenic makes it somewhat Peaty based on that alone. He doesnt recommend racetams though because theres not enough consistent research on the effects to entire organism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

DaveFoster said:
That's a good question...

DaveFoster

NathanK said:
He doesnt recommend it or any methyl donor. Not everyone needs to take a choline substance in tandem. They say some people are "choline dominant". I am one of those people and taking choline makes zero differemce. Probably because i use nicotine, which excites choline receptors directly. Piracetam as an anticholinergenic makes it somewhat Peaty based on that alone. He doesnt recommend racetams though because theres not enough consistent research on the effects to entire organism.
Choline makes me depressed. Why do you use nicotine? Have you looked into alternatives such as ergot-derivative type drugs?

Jesus guys he's just looking at the positive side of a molecule as he always does.

By the way noopept can slightly increase BDNF which lowers serotonin signaling.

ken

On the longcity web site there's a legendary piracetem user called Isochroma. On a MB thread he called MB a reasonable alternative to piracetem at 200 mg a day. Of course he's chugging 30 grams of fish oil to keep his membranes fluid.