Pink Under Eye Coloring/bags. Allergies Or Something Else?

Here is an example of what I'm referring to: https://images.theconversation.com/...-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=1356&h=668&fit=crop

I've always pondered what this could be. I've heard many theories, but have no conclusive answer to this day.

I've heard vague suggestions:

1. It's genes (doesn't tell me exactly what is causing it though);

2. Allergies (still have no good idea where to go with this exactly);

3. It's facial/bone structure (but I've seen people with similar bone structure as mine who don't have it).

4. It's weak/thinning skin (but my skin everywhere else is fine).

I did used to be pretty obese, but I've always had them regardless of any external factors. Could it be diet? Environmental stresses on the body? Toxins? Some blood flow issue? It's anybody's guess I assume....

Mine look very much like the guy above, but I'm a lot younger and mine are more pinkish/reddish in hue. Also keep in mind that this is only about the under eye part -- the rest of the face isn't relevant with the example image.

I've tried stuff like under eye creams/hydroquinone/cutting or adding certain things to my diet in the past/losing weight/gaining weight/etc. and it doesn't do anything really. I used to have lots of allergies as a kid, but think I've moved past a lot of them. I've never seen an allergist or got any breakdown of allergies I've had/have. What do you think would be ideal for me to go about reducing them?

Should I consider an allergist as a serious option, or is this bound to be a dead end/waste of time if they can't pinpoint any exact causes and give any non-cosmetic ways of reducing the appearance? I ask here because I'm sure this is pretty common among more people than I'd think.

They give you an older/allergy-ish or sick/tired look that I've never liked, but dealt with. I know cosmetically they can likely be 100% concealed/removed somehow, but I wanted to see if anyone here has any idea as to what actions I could take that might be better than just covering up the issue, i.e., finding another source and maybe working from there rather than just ignoring any cause/concern otherwise. I know it's not common skin care habits as I take care of my skin pretty well.