Pineapple Juice With Bromelain

Discussion in 'Beverages, Fruits, Sugars' started by Inaut, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Inaut

Inaut Member

After reading @Jennifer’s cellular log thread, I’ve been trying to add pineapple back in to my diet. I’d almost prefer it to oranges/OJ tbh...

My question is, without going through the effort of juicing whole pineapples with my masticating juicer due to time constraints (cleaning is a bit one :( ), is there a decent brand of pineapple juice that contains a good amount of bromelain in it?

I bought some canned dole pineapple chunks and juice but because of the canning process, I think the bromelain is non existent. Any suggestions? I remember reading @Amazoniac recipe for pineapfel sorbet and he included gelatin to synergize/catalyze with the bromelain making it more digestible and amino acid free floating. My words not his. Suggestions.

Btw, fresh pineapple juice is da best in my books so please do talk me into it if need be....

2. Waremu

Waremu Member

If you have a good quality blender, like a Blendtec or Vitamix blender, and a nut milk bag to use as a strainer (they are cheap), you can bled ripe pineapple at the highest speed and then drain it with the nut milk bag. That is what I do and it is the easiest way to make fresh pineapple juice. I buy ripe pineapples at my Global Foods international market as they almost always have them there ripe and cheap. I am personally not confident in relying on store bought juices as some of the vitamins are degraded by the light, and I do not like the more acidic juices being left in plastic. When I keep my juice and do not use it right away, I put it in dark amber glass mason jars which keeps out light too.

3. Literally

Literally Member

Just in case you weren't aware, you can get bromelain as a supplement.

Another possibility would be to go for frozen pineapple and blend it into a smoothie.

4. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

You can prepare a large batch of the sorbet in advance and freeze it in portions (there are insulated bags for cups). Its fiber is beneficial, so (unless you dislike it) I would not discard it.

This must interest you:
    - Purification and Characterization of Bromelain

5. CRAIGO

CRAIGO New Member

Bromelain is extracted from the stems of unripe pineapple. When the pineapple ripens and gets sweet, the bromelain content is mostly gone. Even so, I have had some pineapple juice "jello" fail to gel, with a tablespoon of regular (non-hydrolysed) gelatin per cup of juice, so maybe there is some bromelain still present in some pineapple juices.

6. OP
    Inaut

Inaut Member

i added some gelatin to some dole pineapple juice after i ate the fruit....broke down the gelatin pretty quickly as well. Hmmmm. Thanks @CRAIGO

7. yerrag

yerrag Member

How is the fiber beneficial? I've gone from eating pineapples to juicing them to get rid of the fiber. I'd drink it before meals to help with digestion, not so much that I needed the help but it conserves enzymes for use elsewhere in the body.

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Hi @Inaut, I'm not sure what stores you have available to you, but I like both the Farm Direct brand ($6.98 for 62.6oz) at Walmart Supercenter and Trader Joe's cold pressed pineapple juice ($2.99 for 12oz). The Farm Direct is cold pressure processed a.k.a HPP (high pressure processing). Here, both juices are located in the cold section in the produce department. I'm not sure if they contain much bromelain, but I find them to be consistently sweet with barely any acidity to them, unlike the majority of fresh pineapples here — I used to make celery and pineapple juice daily with my Vitamix and hydraulic press back when I was doing RBTI and had a difficult time finding pineapples that were ripe and not fermented.

9. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

It's disinfecting, it will carry the enzymes farther down the intestines. I suppose that it's the tougher parts that haven't been acted upon by the enzymes that have this potential.

If the juice isn't drunk alone but it's part of a meal that includes protein (whether it's gelatin, casein, or meat), since it's readily digested, there can be protein residue from the meal with nothing else along, so the person is relyin' on vigorous intestinal movement to minimize fermentation.

10. yerrag

yerrag Member

For a long time, I used to eat fresh pineapples every meal. That may be a reason I hardly had any gut issues. So maybe I should revert from drinking fresh pineapple fruit juice to just eating fresh pineapple.

11. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

It wouldn't be surprising. I can't think of a reason to avoid it other than taste preference or digestive upset (can be harsh for some people, depending also on the quality of the pineapfel).

12. SOMO

SOMO Member

Eating whole pineapple burns my mouth because of the bromelain.

I just toss whole pineapple in a blender with ice and it makes the best summer sorbet/smoothie I can think of.

You can blend it and then strain it if the fiber is an issue.

13. Fractality

Fractality Member

I just picked up some of the Lakewood brand organic fresh pressed pineapple juice. It is pasteurized but there is separation at the bottom of the glass. I wonder if pasteurization eliminates the bromelain?

14. yerrag

yerrag Member

It does. Above 150F enzymes are destroyed IIRC

15. Fractality

Fractality Member

I see - well, I mixed it with gin and the juice of two lemons, in the hope it dissolved any lipofuscin present.

16. abruzzi

abruzzi Member

I'm new to all of this.. I just eat Pineapple whenever I feel like it when there's a good price at the grocery store.

I try to remember to brush my teeth because the acidity can be a problem since I'm older now and I've had gum recession.

I do try to have some cheese along with the pineapple to get some protein or some gelatin.

I understand the inclination to optimize, but I think people have a tendency to over complicate