Pineapple juice serotonin

Dr. B

I think it was posted on here that pineapple contains significant amounts of serotonin? I think someone said bananas also have significant serotonin but also have dopamine to counteract it?
yesterday I drank 32oz of lakewoods organic pineapple juice. the effects I get from it are different than what I get from any other fruit juice like concord grape, orange, pomegranate, coconut water, watermelon.
before having the juice, I had a few things on my mind bothering me, making me a bit angrier than usual. I also had more energy and a sharper/more hyper mind in the last few weeks due to some changes I made to the diet and supplement regimen.
within a few hours of finishing the pineapple juice, it was like my memory was almost wiped. and my emotions were all wiped. no anger, no sadness, no emotions at all. I completely forgot what was making me angry previously. and I was also physically and mentally much more fatigued, basically wasn't able to think about things the same way as I normally could. basically turned me into a physical and mental zombie. I had only been having pineapple juice once every week or few weeks previously, but I may stop it. it basically seemed to make me content with doing nothing and feeling nothing. all motivation and emotions go away.

I think it was posted on here that pineapple contains significant amounts of serotonin? I think someone said bananas also have significant serotonin but also have dopamine to counteract it?
yesterday I drank 32oz of lakewoods organic pineapple juice. the effects I get from it are different than what I get from any other fruit juice like concord grape, orange, pomegranate, coconut water, watermelon.
before having the juice, I had a few things on my mind bothering me, making me a bit angrier than usual. I also had more energy and a sharper/more hyper mind in the last few weeks due to some changes I made to the diet and supplement regimen.
within a few hours of finishing the pineapple juice, it was like my memory was almost wiped. and my emotions were all wiped. no anger, no sadness, no emotions at all. I completely forgot what was making me angry previously. and I was also physically and mentally much more fatigued, basically wasn't able to think about things the same way as I normally could. basically turned me into a physical and mental zombie. I had only been having pineapple juice once every week or few weeks previously, but I may stop it. it basically seemed to make me content with doing nothing and feeling nothing. all motivation and emotions go away.
This is interesting cause I drink the same Lakewood pineapple juice. I don’t drink it straight though, because it seems strong. I mix it with half water and add a spoonful of raw whipped honey to it and sometimes a pinch of salt. Maybe the honey and salt counteracts what you felt. I am gonna have to pay attention to my mood after having it. Boy I could go for some fresh pressed pineapple juice right now, so so good!

I would like to hear more about the plaintain/banana info, because I love coconut oil plantain chips or a slightly green banana.

reality

I don’t understand the serotonin in fruits causing issues. Serotonin is an amine formed from breakdown of tryptophan, how much tryptophan is in fruits? Compared to meats, for example? Serotonin would more of an issue in protein foods, surely.

And the minuscule amount found in fruits, would be taken care of by the mao enzyme

I think the issue people have with bananas/pineapple is something else, maybe starch/unripe tannins

NatachaRose

Serotonin makes you more depressed not less.
Lots of vitamins and minerals in pinneaple juice such as Vitamin C. So my guess is the amount of natural C vitamin + minerals + sugar lowered your cortisol. Drinking pinneaple juice is good for your adrenals. It contains also a huge amount of bromelain wich is a natural anti inflammatory + helps a lot with digestion and we know that digestion, inflammation and anxiety are directly linked.

OP
D

Dr. B

I would like to hear more about the plaintain/banana info, because I love coconut oil plantain chips or a slightly green banana.
I havw the coconut oil bananna chips and dont get the same issue but its only 20 bananna chips about 150 calories. So basically one bananna or less. 8g of those calories are coconut oil anyway.

Serotonin makes you more depressed not less.
Lots of vitamins and minerals in pinneaple juice such as Vitamin C. So my guess is the amount of natural C vitamin + minerals + sugar lowered your cortisol. Drinking pinneaple juice is good for your adrenals. It contains also a huge amount of bromelain wich is a natural anti inflammatory + helps a lot with digestion and we know that digestion, inflammation and anxiety are directly linked.

I dont get any similar effects with any othwr juice. Pomegranate juice causes sleepiness, but it also boosts blood flow. ANd it doesnt cause the same effects as pineapple juice. Wouldnt orange juice have the same effect if it was vitamin c and minerals.
Coconut water hs lots of manganese and doesnt cause the same effect either.
If its beneficial maybe ill keep it to once a week. By the way my memory and emotions etc came back yesterday night. Basically 28 hours after the pineapple juice.

OP
D

Dr. B

I don’t understand the serotonin in fruits causing issues. Serotonin is an amine formed from breakdown of tryptophan, how much tryptophan is in fruits? Compared to meats, for example? Serotonin would more of an issue in protein foods, surely.

And the minuscule amount found in fruits, would be taken care of by the mao enzyme

I think the issue people have with bananas/pineapple is something else, maybe starch/unripe tannins
I thought pineapple and bananna contain serotonin somehow

I havw the coconut oil bananna chips and dont get the same issue but its only 20 bananna chips about 150 calories. So basically one bananna or less. 8g of those calories are coconut oil anyway.

Boy I wish I could stop at 20 chips. I generally don’t buy them cause they call to my from the pantry constantly till they are gone!

NatachaRose

I dont get any similar effects with any othwr juice. Pomegranate juice causes sleepiness, but it also boosts blood flow. ANd it doesnt cause the same effects as pineapple juice. Wouldnt orange juice have the same effect if it was vitamin c and minerals.
Coconut water hs lots of manganese and doesnt cause the same effect either.
If its beneficial maybe ill keep it to once a week. By the way my memory and emotions etc came back yesterday night. Basically 28 hours after the pineapple juice.
then it’s because of the bromelain. You should look into it. Like I said in my previous message pineapple juice contains lots of bromelain which is known to be a powerful anti inflammatory and helps tremendously with digestion.

OP
D

Dr. B

then it’s because of the bromelain. You should look into it. Like I said in my previous message pineapple juice contains lots of bromelain which is known to be a powerful anti inflammatory and helps tremendously with digestion.
bromelain should help digestion but why would pineapple juice cause complete loss of emotion, loss of motivation, and loss of memory and mental fatigue and physical fatigue? lowering cortisol should only cause physical fatigue right.

NatachaRose

bromelain should help digestion but why would pineapple juice cause complete loss of emotion, loss of motivation, and loss of memory and mental fatigue and physical fatigue? lowering cortisol should only cause physical fatigue right.
Sometimes when you’re overwhelmed for too long and suddenly you relax you just feel nothing at all. That happens when you’re if a flight or fight mode for too long and then suddenly when it stops you’re tired and in a freeze mode.
Also maybe it could be related to a histamine intolerance? Pinneaple is a histamine liberator. And feeling tired could be a histamine reaction. But usually histamine causes anxiety issues not the total opposite.
Or maybe it’s just completely unrelated to pinneaple juice. Maybe you could write in a notebook all the things that you do, drink, eat and also write how you feel, sleep etc and see if there’s a pattern. Maybe it’s not the pineapple.

OP
D

Dr. B

Sometimes when you’re overwhelmed for too long and suddenly you relax you just feel nothing at all. That happens when you’re if a flight or fight mode for too long and then suddenly when it stops you’re tired and in a freeze mode.
Also maybe it could be related to a histamine intolerance? Pinneaple is a histamine liberator. And feeling tired could be a histamine reaction. But usually histamine causes anxiety issues not the total opposite.
Or maybe it’s just completely unrelated to pinneaple juice. Maybe you could write in a notebook all the things that you do, drink, eat and also write how you feel, sleep etc and see if there’s a pattern. Maybe it’s not the pineapple.
you dont think this is a serotonin reaction? the effects were from the pineapple juice and went away about 28 hours after drinking it.

aliml

Pineapple Predisposing Pyrexia: Pineapple Induced Serotonin Syndrome​

Serotonin syndrome is an often overlooked but potentially lethal diagnosis secondary to increased serotonergic activity. It is typically associated with psychiatric meds and the toxicity can be due to an intentional overdose or polypharmacy but there are rare instances of it occurring with appropriate medication administration. This case examines the relationship between serotonin syndrome and the cytochrome p450 inhibition induced by pineapple juice. The patient is a 21-year-old female with past medical history of depression and anxiety on fluoxetine and olanzapine. She presented to the hospital after being found unresponsive at home. She was hyperthermic, obtunded, and decorticate posturing with diffuse rigidity. She was intubated for airway protection with CT head, MRI head and EEG showing no acute process. Toxicology screen was negative and labs were within normal limits other than an elevated creatinine kinase. There was concern for serotonin syndrome and she was started on cyproheptadine. Patient’s parents confirmed that she was compliant with her medications, had no history of illicit drug use and had not reported any suicidal ideation. Her pill bottles were examined and an appropriate number of pills were remaining for the month. Of note, her father reported that she had ben drinking almost 2 liters of pineapple juice every day for the last several weeks. 48 hours after admission, cessation of all psychiatric meds and administration of cyproheptadine, patient was extubated and mentating well. This patient illustrates a case of serotonin syndrome with appropriate use of serotonergic drugs but toxicity induced by the CYP450 inhibition caused by pineapple juice. The CYP group of dealkylating enzymes are responsible for approximately 75% of metabolic reactions in the body. Pineapple contains bromelain, a cysteine protease. This enzyme inhibits CYP2C9 activity while the cysteine protease inhibitor, E-64, is also blocked by bromelain. This mechanism details the process by which pineapple juice is able to inhibit the cytochrome pathway which is essential for the metabolism of serotonin. In patients taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and presenting with altered mental status, hemodynamic instability and neuromuscular abnormalities, serotonin syndrome must be considered. Furthermore, attention should be paid to the patient’s dietary choices as fruits such as pineapple can inhibit the cytochrome pathway which will lead to the inability of the body to metabolize serotonergic drugs and result in potentially lethal complications.

OP
D

Dr. B

Pineapple Predisposing Pyrexia: Pineapple Induced Serotonin Syndrome​

Serotonin syndrome is an often overlooked but potentially lethal diagnosis secondary to increased serotonergic activity. It is typically associated with psychiatric meds and the toxicity can be due to an intentional overdose or polypharmacy but there are rare instances of it occurring with appropriate medication administration. This case examines the relationship between serotonin syndrome and the cytochrome p450 inhibition induced by pineapple juice. The patient is a 21-year-old female with past medical history of depression and anxiety on fluoxetine and olanzapine. She presented to the hospital after being found unresponsive at home. She was hyperthermic, obtunded, and decorticate posturing with diffuse rigidity. She was intubated for airway protection with CT head, MRI head and EEG showing no acute process. Toxicology screen was negative and labs were within normal limits other than an elevated creatinine kinase. There was concern for serotonin syndrome and she was started on cyproheptadine. Patient’s parents confirmed that she was compliant with her medications, had no history of illicit drug use and had not reported any suicidal ideation. Her pill bottles were examined and an appropriate number of pills were remaining for the month. Of note, her father reported that she had ben drinking almost 2 liters of pineapple juice every day for the last several weeks. 48 hours after admission, cessation of all psychiatric meds and administration of cyproheptadine, patient was extubated and mentating well. This patient illustrates a case of serotonin syndrome with appropriate use of serotonergic drugs but toxicity induced by the CYP450 inhibition caused by pineapple juice. The CYP group of dealkylating enzymes are responsible for approximately 75% of metabolic reactions in the body. Pineapple contains bromelain, a cysteine protease. This enzyme inhibits CYP2C9 activity while the cysteine protease inhibitor, E-64, is also blocked by bromelain. This mechanism details the process by which pineapple juice is able to inhibit the cytochrome pathway which is essential for the metabolism of serotonin. In patients taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and presenting with altered mental status, hemodynamic instability and neuromuscular abnormalities, serotonin syndrome must be considered. Furthermore, attention should be paid to the patient’s dietary choices as fruits such as pineapple can inhibit the cytochrome pathway which will lead to the inability of the body to metabolize serotonergic drugs and result in potentially lethal complications.

interesting so it's a cytochrome inhibitor just like grapefruit juice? so basically pro estrogen, pro serotonin, not pro metabolic?
what about banannas? i heard those have dopamine and serotonin, so aren't as risky as pineapple juice?
what about orange juice, coconut water, pomegranate juice, concord grape juice, watermelon juice, and just plain table sugar?

Limon9

Pineapple can have a large amount of 5HT compared to some other fruits, but you'd expect it to be deactivated. This might be explained by an MAO-A polymorphism, or unexpected interference from another food, supplement or medication, like in the case study posted. Maybe the juice was from unripe fruit? Even organic citric acid can be inflammatory and problematically interfere with the Krebs cycle if you consume too much, but you'd expect similar results from the "occasional" bad batch of store-bought orange juice.

Bananas are almost all glucose, making them somewhat more adipogenic and "stressful" than juicy fruit.

OP
D

Dr. B

Pineapple can have a large amount of 5HT compared to some other fruits, but you'd expect it to be deactivated. This might be explained by an MAO-A polymorphism, or unexpected interference from another food, supplement or medication, like in the case study posted. Maybe the juice was from unripe fruit? Even organic citric acid can be inflammatory and problematically interfere with the Krebs cycle if you consume too much, but you'd expect similar results from the "occasional" bad batch of store-bought orange juice.

Bananas are almost all glucose, making them somewhat more adipogenic and "stressful" than juicy fruit.
is that all starchy fruits? so mangoes to some extent, plantains, are all glucose? sweet potato?

the juice was lakewoods organic pineapple. it was sweet and ripe. its a shelf stable juice in glass bottles.