Pilates, Yoga, Etc

gretchen

About 6 weeks ago I started doing a lot of yoga and have since added Pilates a few days a week. I am now sorer than I have been in years, much more sore than I was during my interval cardio/circuits phase.

Is anyone else doing this type of workout? It is Peat friendly and pretty effective.

HDD

I really like yoga. Are you using a DVD that you recommend?

Mephisto

I enjoy yoga, other than that I only have the energy for some bodyweight workouts. I went to a few boxing classes but they involved too much cardio and I felt sick after. :|

OP
G

gretchen

HDD

Thanks, Gretchen. Think a new DVD might help motivate me. I would like to find one that uses light weights, too, if you know of any.

pboy

Excersizing past the point of muscles being able to utilize oxygen to produce energy produces lactic acid...something Peat is apparently against. However, metabolism raises and is increased for a few hours during and after excersize. So basically... don't excersize past the point where your panting for breath or seem to be exhausted and it should be fine or beneficial, too much stress is likely not good for you though

Edit: Soreness is directly related to lactic acid hanging out in the muscles...so you may have pushed yourself too hard last time you excersized. I don't think, and I'm sure Peat would agree, that becoming sore after excersizing is good. It means you excersized past the threshold your muscles could affectively handle, so they had to use a less efficient form of energy production to sustain the excersize (of which lactic acid is the byproduct).
Have fun during the excersize and at the point your not enjoying yourself anymore, or seem to be 'pushing' yourself, slow down and take a break!