Pigs heart - surprisingly tasty!

Memento

I don´t eat pork, but wanted to explore a bit with organ meats and this was the only heart that was available at the supermarket. I was positively surprised, deep rich gamey flavour and pleasant structure after couple of hours in the oven. I ate the whole thing at once because it was delicious. Makes you think why metabolically active tissue like heart is closer to game meat, instead of being colourless tasteless crap like most industrially produced muscle meats.

Some recipes call for keeping the heart under water overnight for dissolving any blood. I didn´t bother even though the bag had quite a bit of blood in it. Just cut in half and rinse well under running water.

With a sharp knife remove anything you don´t feel like eating, there wasn´t much but I took few chewey looking bits out and gave em to dogs. I cubed the rest to half inch sized pieces.

Quick sear with generous butter on a pretty hot pan, no need to totally cook it because it is going into oven. Pour to an oven pot with a lid, put the pan back on stove and add water to get all the juices left behind, let simmer while you chop some onions and carrots to the pot. Add salt to taste, good amount of whole black peppers, I didn´t have onions so I added a bulb of garlic instead. Put in the oven for few hours on low 125deg Celsius heat. Want less gamey taste? Add some beef. Bay leaves are a great seasoning too if you have them. Enjoy as it is or with some rice or potatoes.

Nfinkelstein

Another great one is chicken heart. If grilled, it tastes very much like beef tenderloin, imo. Hard to get though.

Ben.

Another great one is chicken heart. If grilled, it tastes very much like beef tenderloin, imo. Hard to get though.

Realy? The supermarkets i visit have barely organ meats at all, and if they do its from cheap corn fed chicken/turkey. Liver and hearts only from thoose.

Wanted to try beef heart since its also a way better source for q10 than chicken. Wonder what it tastes like. The Turkey heart tasted awfull (chicken liver was surpisingly eatable without much fancy cooking efforts)

When im at a butcher i will consider pig heart - very intriguing - thanks op.

TheSir

Tasty, gelatinous, dirt cheap. Pork heart is my absolute favorite source of protein and I find myself craving it all the time (I've eaten dozens of them in the past year). I like it even better than an expensive steak. I cut it to small pieces then fry it on the pan, it doesn't even need any seasoning since it's so and flavorful on its own. Recommend this hidden gem of the meat market to anyone and everyone.

Last edited: