Pigeons Can Read Better Than Monkeys

haidut

In intelligence studies of the avian world it is usually the corvids (crows, ravens, finches, etc) that take the crown of intelligence, but this study found pigeons to be not quite imbecilic either. When properly trained, pigeon reading performance was closer to that of humans then the one of supposedly much smarter species like baboons.

Pigeons Can Read A Little Bit, New Research Shows

"...Through gradual training, the birds moved from learning to eat from a food hopper, to recognizing shapes, to learning words. Kind of like human children? After narrowing down to the four brightest birds out 18, over eight months of training, the advanced-class pigeons were taught to distinguish four-letter words from non-words. They were even able to tell the difference between correctly spelled words and those with transposed characters, like “very” and “vrey," or words with different letters included to make them completely misspelled. In these instances, "the pigeons’ performance is actually more comparable to that of literate humans than baboons’ performance," the study authors write."

Regina

In intelligence studies of the avian world it is usually the corvids (crows, ravens, finches, etc) that take the crown of intelligence, but this study found pigeons to be not quite imbecilic either. When properly trained, pigeon reading performance was closer to that of humans then the one of supposedly much smarter species like baboons.

Pigeons Can Read A Little Bit, New Research Shows

"...Through gradual training, the birds moved from learning to eat from a food hopper, to recognizing shapes, to learning words. Kind of like human children? After narrowing down to the four brightest birds out 18, over eight months of training, the advanced-class pigeons were taught to distinguish four-letter words from non-words. They were even able to tell the difference between correctly spelled words and those with transposed characters, like “very” and “vrey," or words with different letters included to make them completely misspelled. In these instances, "the pigeons’ performance is actually more comparable to that of literate humans than baboons’ performance," the study authors write."
(I'm only begrudgingly happy for them. NYC living classically ruined pigeons for me).

Spokey

Excellent. I can get a sign made that says, "Please stop sh***ing on my car." :D

lvysaur

I wonder to what degree natural domestication matters.

It seems like city pigeons must have undergone some selection that resembled a domestication process. They're not scared of humans, and there are lots of mottled coat variants.

sladerunner69

Nikola Tesla wrote that the only romance of his life was with a pidgeon, he loved her "as a man loves a woman". He claimed that when the pigeon fell ill, it came home to him and died in his arms. That marked the end of his career as an inventor.

Regina

Nikola Tesla wrote that the only romance of his life was with a pidgeon, he loved her "as a man loves a woman". He claimed that when the pigeon fell ill, it came home to him and died in his arms. That marked the end of his career as an inventor.
Dear oh dear. I just passed a little milkshake through my nose.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JohnHafterson Get Outside Explore - Quick Car Tent Conversion ( Long Read ) Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 21
jay123 NO VAX! You need to read this! Resources 17
L EVERY US Citizen must read this. Makes 2008 look like pennies Rant or Rave 49
tankasnowgod Have you read the COVID 19 Vaccine Consent Form? Vaccines 25
M My old HTMA results. Anybody knows how to read this? Ask For Help or Advice 14
B MUST READ: HOW TO FIGHT BACK AGAINST VACCINES Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 19
M Must Read Books Must Watch Videos Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
M MUST READ BOOKS! Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 12
S Can Anyone Help Read This Blood Work? Blood Work, Labs 0
Drareg Quadruple-stranded DNA Seen In Healthy Human Cells For The First Time Read More: Https://www.newsci Articles & Scientific Studies 0
RealNeat Overlooked CV Researcher On Twitter, Must Read Resources 7
methylenewhite Perhaps This Is Why Doctors Are Dying. Please Read. I Believe It's Important For Everyone Articles & Scientific Studies 13
meatbag Voltage Gated Calcium Channels 'read' Electric Patterns In Embryos To Create Cartilage And Bone Scientific Studies 0
M Lysine Actually Increases Serotonin, Please Read Lysine 2
johnwester130 A Must Read Article On Gelatin Gelatin 2
Hugh Johnson Mind & Tissue Is Awesome And You Should Read It Ray Peat Topics 4
T Must Read, Killing Cancer Cells Using Electric Potential, DMSO, Methylene Blue Cancer 241
yerrag How Do You Read Through A Very Long Thread Without Getting Dazed? Miscellaneous 7
T I Once Read That P5P Could Cause Cancer Ask For Help or Advice 1
K 22 Year Old, Growing Apathetic, Finally Decided To Reach Out For Help. Please Take The Time To Read Hair & Nails 40
S STUDY: 70% Of Facebook Users Only Read The Headline Of Science Stories Before Commenting The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 26
B Warning-dont-take-drugs-your-doctor-gave-you-until-you-read Articles 1
P Just Read "Balancing Body Chemistry With Nutrition" Book Recommendations 7
beachbum Metabolic Profiles. Study On Sea Buckthorn With Bilberry. Can A Scientific Mind Read Please Scientific Studies 1
M Order In Which To Read Peat Articles Articles & Newsletters Discussion 1
J Digital Thermometers Often Read Low Thyroid and Hormones 12
charlie Important Announcement Regarding Forum Software Change, Please Read! Ray Peat Forum Announcements 48
haidut A Must-read PUFA Primer Scientific Studies 24
Greg says Once you've read one Ray Peat article you've read them all. Resources 11
charlie Anyone Having Issues With The Threads Being Marked Read Properly? Suggestions, Complaints, Board Glitches 23
B Read This To Infect Your Ego! Health 28
R Does Ray Peat read this forum? Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 11
S Best Way To Read/study When Learning At University Health 9
P Any One Read The Book Calcium Lie? (Robert Thompson) Book Recommendations 33
M My story (Bit of a long read LOL) Ask For Help or Advice 3
N Books Peat Read As A Child Book Recommendations 1
charlie Topic Watch, Board Notification Mod Installed, PLEASE READ! Ray Peat Forum Announcements 24
charlie Did you stop receiving notifications of posts? Please read. Ray Peat Forum Announcements 0
F Did anyone noticed that Thyroid meds work better with coffee/caffeine? Ask For Help or Advice 4
Such_Umami What's better, Rice or Potatoes? Discussing Dietary Models 4
GreekDemiGod Better blood sugar regulation with starch vs sugar? | Liver health & Insulin Resistance. Blood Sugar 22
CHEESEHEAD69 Progest-E application: sublingual vs swallowing, which is better? Progesterone 4
RenaissanceMan I feel much better in the Winter. Are there Individual Cycles based on Seasons? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 8
vulture Better sex while sleep deprived? Male Issues 13
fr@ Allithiamine Experience / Could anyone recommend a better B1 Supplement? B1 37
E Good,Better and Best Peat Style! Ask For Help or Advice 6
appotis [Collection] Better Food Choices in Germany Diet, Recipes 69
T Canned cod liver - how does Omega 3 temporarily make you feel better? Diet 1
F Did you noticed better glycogen taking taurine? Metabolism 0
Rinse & rePeat Food Layering & Better Digestion Diet 49