Physiology Of Trauma

Peatogenic

For those who are aware of Somatic trauma research and the theory that 70% of trauma resides in the body, what have you found to be the substance of trauma? What does that really mean?

For example, I can see how trauma could impact our hormones, but trauma resolution is not merely balancing hormones.

A lot of people in the CPTSD/Ptsd community refer to this grieving process that is necessary, which would imply something being stuck.

Conditions like dissociation are almost universal to trauma patients, but still a murky topic itself...essentially an excessive separation from the body..purported to be neurological. If you resolve dissociation you aren't really unsticking sonething or unstoring something.

This is such a fascinating and complex topic, curious what others have found.

sunraiser

In chinese medicine they say the emotions are stored in the liver.

Lots of people that do liver flushes get strong experiences or feelings from the past (sometimes very intense) during or after the flush.

When I quit my computer gaming addiction and did no fap + celibacy for a year I had loads of old emotions and memories surface, particularly old songs I'd listened to in my youth cropping up in my mind. I guess it's not that far fetched for whatever physiologically carries emotions to store them when your detox mechanisms aren't working properly. I think constant escapism can mean lots of unresolved trauma too - there's always going to be a physical manifestation!

Resilience is like 15% mind and 85% mineral / physiological status, imo.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Myself and one other female that I heard about had repressed traumatic memories surface while taking progesterone. For me I think it was good even though it was hard because it helped me understand some things that hadn't made sense before, to stop living in fear and grow emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Nebula

I've been wondering if regular sprinting might be a helpful therapy for some types of trauma. After several months of sprinting I've noticed that most negative past experiences don't bother me anymore. Many negative memories seem funny or no big deal now. I overall feel more oriented towards the positives of the present and future. So I'm wondering if in addition to some positive hormonal/metabolism changes from sprinting it has also caused some kind of release or toning of the nervous system. It makes sense that regular sprinting would reverse some of the physiological changes of a "freeze response" type of learned helplessness. I wonder if there has been any research on this. I did a quick search awhile ago and didn't find anything. I think there might be something to it though. And I suspect it's sprinting specifically and not other forms of exercise that would be most effective as it might have something to do with the nervous system response of moving the legs as fast possible.

Last edited:

zewe

I've been wondering if regular sprinting might be a helpful therapy for some types of trauma. After several months of sprinting I've noticed that most negative past experiences don't bother me anymore. Many negative memories seem funny or no big deal now. I overall feel more oriented towards the positives of the present and future. So I'm wondering if in addition to some positive hormonal/metabolism changes from sprinting it has also caused some kind of release or toning of the nervous system. It makes sense that regular sprinting would reverse some of the physiological changes of a "freeze response" type of learned helplessness. I wonder if there has been any research on this. I did a quick search awhile ago and didn't find anything. I think there might be something to it though. And I suspect it's sprinting specifically and not other forms of exercise that would be most effective as it might have something to do with the nervous system response of moving the legs as fast possible.

@Nebula It might if you were in a situation where you couldn't get away from danger, as in an attack.

In somatic healing, one might be processing that memory and the moving of the legs as if running away to safety, would be one way of resolving some of that trauma.

In my experierence it hasn't been that easy. There's all kind of things linked to my traumas. Like how could a human being do that to another. The randomness of it. The re-victimization through thoughtless ignorant people [and police which were buddies of his.] The fear that he was going to kill me.....Not easy memories to process.

@Peatogenic, you mention hormones. I never went through menopause. Right up to my last trauma, my cycle was very regular; every 28 days, normal periods. Well, that just STOPPED after what happened to me. My endocrine and central nervous systems are still f**ked up.

It's hard to differentiate between hormonal spikes or actual triggers to traumatic memories. ANY stress freaks my body/mind out. Heat that makes me sweat
can trigger me. Loud voices or god forbid, someone yelling at me!

I was stripped naked and boiling water was poured over me. Years after, I scalded myself and talk about blowing any progress I had made!

I don't sleep in front of the door dressed with shoes on, ready to run anymore. But things I may see, hear, smell, or feel can really mess me up.

I may know in my logical mind that I'm not in any danger but the physological responses/changes in my body can put me eithier right back there or in a high panic.

AJC

Morton Herskowitz, author of "Emotional Armoring: An Introduction to Psychiatric Orgone Therapy" gives a good overview of some of what you're asking.

Lecture starts at 4:47

zewe

The Science Behind PTSD Symptoms: How Trauma Changes The Brain
By Michele Rosenthal

After any type of trauma (from combat to car accidents, natural disasters to domestic violence, sexual assault to child abuse), the brain and body change. Every cell records memories and every embedded, trauma-related neuropathway has the opportunity to repeatedly reactivate.

Sometimes the alterations these imprints create are transitory, the small glitch of disruptive dreams and moods that subside in a few weeks. In other situations the changes evolve into readily apparent symptoms that impair function and present in ways that interfere with jobs, friendships and relationships.

One of the most difficult aspects for survivors in the aftermath of trauma is understanding the changes that occur, plus integrating what they mean, how they affect a life and what can be done to ameliorate them. Launching the recovery process begins with normalizing post-trauma symptoms by investigating how trauma affects that brain and what symptoms these effects create.

The 3-Part Brain
The Triune Brain model, introduced by physician and neuroscientist Paul D. MacLean, explains the brain in three parts:

• Reptilian (brain stem): This innermost part of the brain is responsible for survival instincts and autonomic body processes.
  • Mammalian (limbic, midbrain):The midlevel of the brain, this part processes emotions and conveys sensory relays.
  • Neommalian (cortex, forebrain): The most highly evolved part of the brain, this area outer controls cognitive processing, decision-making, learning, memory and inhibitory functions.
During a traumatic experience, the reptilian brain takes control, shifting the body into reactive mode. Shutting down all non-essential body and mind processes, the brain stem orchestrates survival mode. During this time the sympathetic nervous system increases stress hormones and prepares the body to fight, flee or freeze.

In a normal situation, when immediate threat ceases, the parasympathetic nervous system shifts the body into restorative mode. This process reduces stress hormones and allows the brain to shift back to the normal top-down structure of control.

However, for those 20 percent of trauma survivors who go on to develop symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) — an unmitigated experience ofanxiety related to the past trauma — the shift from reactive to responsive mode never occurs. Instead, the reptilian brain, primed to threat and supported by dysregulated activity in significant brain structures, holds the survivor in a constant reactive state.

The Dysregulated Post-Trauma Brain
The four categories of PTSD symptoms include: intrusive thoughts (unwanted memories); mood alterations (shame, blame, persistent negativity); hypervigilance (exaggerated startle response); and avoidance (of all sensory and emotional trauma-related material). These cause confusing symptoms for survivors who don’t understand how they’ve suddenly become so out of control in their own minds and bodies.

Unexpected rage or tears, shortness of breath, increased heart rate, shaking, memory loss, concentration challenges, insomnia, nightmares and emotional numbing can hijack both an identity and a life. The problem isn’t that the survivor won’t “just get over it” but that she needs time, help and the opportunity to discover her own path to healing in order to do so.

Throughout the brain several chemical and biological imbalances can present after trauma. Their effects are especially exacerbated by three major brain function dysregulations:

• Overstimulated amygdala: An almond-shaped mass located deep in the brain, the amygdala is responsible for survival-related threat identification, plus tagging memories with emotion. After trauma the amygdala can get caught up in a highly alert and activated loop during which it looks for and perceives threat everywhere.
  • Underactive hippocampus: An increase in the stress hormone glucocorticoid kills cells in the hippocampus, which renders it less effective in making synaptic connections necessary for memory consolidation. This interruption keeps both the body and mind stimulated in reactive mode as neither element receives the message that the threat has transformed into the past tense.
  • Ineffective variability: The constant elevation of stress hormones interferes with the body’s ability to regulate itself. The sympathetic nervous system remains highly activated leading to fatigue of the body and many of its systems, most notably the adrenal.
How Healing Happens
While changes to the brain can seem, on the surface, disastrous and representative of permanent damage, the truth is that all of these alterations can be reversed. The amygdala can learn to relax; the hippocampus can resume proper memory consolidation; the nervous system can recommence its easy flow between reactive and restorative modes. The key to achieving a state of neutrality and then healing lies in helping to reprogram the body and mind.

While the two collaborate in a natural feedback loop, processes designed for each individually are vast. Hypnosis, neuro-linguistic programming and other brain-related modalities can teach the mind to reframe and release the grip of trauma. Likewise, approaches including somatic experiencing, tension and trauma releasing exercises and other body-centric techniques can help the body recalibrate to normalcy.

Survivors are unique; their healing will be individual. There is no one-size-fits-all or personal guarantee for what will work (and the same program will not work for everyone). However, the majority of evidence suggests that when survivors commit to a process of exploring and testing treatment options they can, over a period of time, reduce the effects of trauma and even eliminate symptoms of PTSD.

SOURCE:

puella

By Michele Rosenthal
While the two collaborate in a natural feedback loop, processes designed for each individually are vast. Hypnosis, neuro-linguistic programming and other brain-related modalities can teach the mind to reframe and release the grip of trauma. Likewise, approaches including somatic experiencing, tension and trauma releasing exercises and other body-centric techniques can help the body recalibrate to normalcy.

Survivors are unique; their healing will be individual. There is no one-size-fits-all or personal guarantee for what will work (and the same program will not work for everyone). However, the majority of evidence suggests that when survivors commit to a process of exploring and testing treatment options they can, over a period of time, reduce the effects of trauma and even eliminate symptoms of PTSD.

SOURCE:

Excellent share ZEWE! I would completely agree that healing will be individual & would add potentially the most difficult experience of your life (other than the original trauma). Something to maybe consider: starting with avenues that are more self-determined, somatic based, and stabilizing than treatments like hypnosis or NLP where you're surrendering yourself to someone else. I like Hakomi but I'm sure there are other helpful practices where you are working together with a guide vs having someone work on you.

A couple of books worth checking out on this topic:
  1. The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel van der Kolk, It expands on ZEWE's post. I see it as an outside-in look at trauma, more science and practical application based. I think everyone could benefit from reading this- trauma experienced or not.
  2. The Inner World of Trauma by Donald Kalsched, As the title implies more of on an inside-out look at trauma. The value in this book, for me, isn't about the treatment of trauma but in the invaluable understanding of experiences that aren't quite measurable. His ability to describe what people are going through is tremendous regardless if you're into Jungian analysis or not.
For those who are aware of Somatic trauma research and the theory that 70% of trauma resides in the body, what have you found to be the substance of trauma? What does that really mean?

Wow. That is gigantic :). I even won't attempt but I think if anyone could have a cogent yet equally complex answer worthy of the topic, it would be Jasun Horsley (his Liminalist podcast & books explore a lot of this in ways, depths, & honesty that I have yet to see anywhere else)

For example, I can see how trauma could impact our hormones, but trauma resolution is not merely balancing hormones.

Agreed! Hormone balance won't resolve trauma but it does make sense to support yourself in all the ways you can (hormones, diet, meaningful activities, boundaries, healthy relationships etc.).

This is such a fascinating and complex topic, curious what others have found.
I have yet to read "The Emotional Life of Nations" but I believe it looks at the effects of trauma on the macro scale. (It is available for free for those that don't mind reading on the computer:
The Emotional Life of Nations | The Association for Psychohistory ).

I first heard of this, along with Kalsched's work, through Jasun Horsley. Might be someone to check out if you're interested in jumping into the deep end. Like Peat, he is not an easy sell but I honestly think he is an equally important heretical voice.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Excellent share ZEWE! I would completely agree that healing will be individual & would add potentially the most difficult experience of your life (other than the original trauma). Something to maybe consider: starting with avenues that are more self-determined, somatic based, and stabilizing than treatments like hypnosis or NLP where you're surrendering yourself to someone else. I like Hakomi but I'm sure there are other helpful practices where you are working together with a guide vs having someone work on you.

1. The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel van der Kolk, It expands on ZEWE's post. I see it as an outside-in look at trauma, more science and practical application based. I think everyone could benefit from reading this- trauma experienced or not.
  2. The Inner World of Trauma by Donald Kalsched, As the title implies more of on an inside-out look at trauma. The value in this book, for me, isn't about the treatment of trauma but in the invaluable understanding of experiences that aren't quite measurable. His ability to describe what people are going through is tremendous regardless if you're into Jungian analysis or not.

Wow. That is gigantic :). I even won't attempt but I think if anyone could have a cogent yet equally complex answer worthy of the topic, it would be Jasun Horsley (his Liminalist podcast & books explore a lot of this in ways, depths, & honesty that I have yet to see anywhere else)

Agreed! Hormone balance won't resolve trauma but it does make sense to support yourself in all the ways you can (hormones, diet, meaningful activities, boundaries, healthy relationships etc.).

I have yet to read "The Emotional Life of Nations" but I believe it looks at the effects of trauma on the macro scale. (It is available for free for those that don't mind reading on the computer:

I first heard of this, along with Kalsched's work, through Jasun Horsley. Might be someone to check out if you're interested in jumping into the deep end. Like Peat, he is not an easy sell but I honestly think he is an equally important heretical voice.
Awesome, will definitely be looking into these. Thank you.

sunraiser

I've been wondering if regular sprinting might be a helpful therapy for some types of trauma. After several months of sprinting I've noticed that most negative past experiences don't bother me anymore. Many negative memories seem funny or no big deal now. I overall feel more oriented towards the positives of the present and future

I agree with you - the caveat being that sprinting requires tolerance of a good level of calories to be even remotely sustainable and enjoyable.

Sprinting activates EVERYTHING. It feels like the perfect intuitive exercise to me, and it's how I naturally always want to run whenever I jog; I naturally gravitate towards running as fast as I can most of the time.

Going all out in a sprint just feels so good afterwards (well it feels awful when calorie tolerance is lower but otherwise...), every muscle has been stretched and activated, your lymph system is fully supported. It makes sense that this would be a fantastic detox mechanism and the lymph support might allow your liver to slowly process trauma alongside all the hormonal benefits of such an exercise in enjoyable moderation. It also feels like the most natural glute and hamstring exercise of all.

I always wonder if it's the same for women though. Women seem to do far better with stretching and lower intensity exercise, though this is merely a vague observation.

Out of interest how often do you sprint?

zewe

Hi @puella thanks for your enthusiasm. While back I listened to "The Body Keeps Score," but can't find the link. I will look up, Jasun Horsley but the name sounds familiar...I read so much.

I am going to read, "The Emotional Life of Nations," Because this is something I'm deeply interested in. Being a die hard "PeaceNic" I've often felt that much of the world population suffers from PTSD....how could they not?

Have you ever read, "The Biology of Belief," by Bruce Lipton? He highlights the biochemical effects of the brain's functioning show that all the cells of your body are affected by your thoughts.

Also working my way through:

The Mind and the Brain Neuroplasticty and the Power of Mental Force by Jeffery M. Schwartz, MD and Sharon Begley

Molecules of Emotion The Science Behind Mind-Body Connection by Candace B. Pert, Ph.D.

The Last Best Cure My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life by Donna Jackson Nakazawa

Rewire Your Brain Think Your Way to A Better Life by John B. Arden, Ph.D. A good how to book.

I like the idea of working with a guide. Not whining here but my area is truly lacking in innovators of medicine and mental health. Going through those systems was actually very traumatic
for me. I was so broken and in such incredible physical pain, I threw myself at their mercy.....no insurance at the time, used clinics. I WILL NEVER, EVER HAND MY HEALTH OVER TO THEM
AGAIN!!!

In all honesty, progress made was truly by myself. Sometimes I feel so lonely on my path to healing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals