Physiologically What Exactly Is Keto-adaptation?

nbznj

Good tools to resuscitate the capability to oxidize fat effectively. And magically it also tends to correct the chronic metabolic dysregulation that prevents effective glucose oxidation, but the mechanism is still open for debate and controversial.

I absolutely don't subscribe to the process of eating 4 times per day and snacking in between to keep blood sugar steady and high. Digestion is stressful so 2 meals per day at most for a healthy person with normal capacity to store glycogen. This naturally results in slightly elevated ketones before the meals, which keeps the body keto/fat adapted.

that's what's funny when debating with narrow minded individuals. Just like lactose tolerance is a thing, high carb tolerance is perfectly natural.

Genetic diversity of CHC22 clathrin impacts its function in glucose metabolism

If you're a (T,T) homozygote like I am, you'll be adapted to IF and such. Be aware of your own biases and don't tell people who have different genotypes that they should embrace your way of life - which is also valid whenever someone tells me I shouldn't be fasting or rather, massively undereating for 18 hours a day (I still snack on berries for breakfast and oysters at night)

rei

Your verbal diarrhea is completely unnecessary and provides no value. Each and every aspect of the human body has individual variations, and unless otherwise stated we always talk about the average man. For the average man with no (T,T) homozygote defects what i said holds true.

ps. did you notice i already mentioned an exception so people like you would not freak out and interpret the wrong message? But since reading comprehension seems to be lacking in certain places with internet access i probably should have expanded it to a full paragraph.

Last edited:

nbznj

if only you could read the data... alas internet people will always frantically ask for sources but won't read them. I'm casting pearls before swine every single time, I should know better.

The average man has 50% chance of lacking that GLUT4 defect. Not an exception by any stretch of the imagination. This means that half of the population has permissive glucose transport and increased clearance. Get those guys to fast, they'll go hypoglycemic. Need to read again what Peat says about low glucose? Considering that this finding is from a publication issued in June 2019, yes it brings tremendous value to any moronic assessment such as yours. There's a reason why high starch low fat low protein diets such as McDougall's vastly improve his (mostly North American) patients' health, and why such vegan diets are a disaster for many. So sit down, and educate yourself. You're welcome

LLight

Get those guys to fast, they'll go hypoglycemic.
Fasting should lead to physiological insulin resistance (glucose sparing) so the effect could be reduced.
Water deprivation in addition to fasting can increase blood sugar instead of a lowering.

schultz

How much protein does it take to make 40 grams of glucose?

I would also like to know the answer to this. @Amazoniac do you happen to know?

Ruminant animals (from what I remember) are in ketosis a lot of the time since the sugar in their diet is usually consumed by the bacteria in their rumen, so you might be able to find information on the topic by looking at papers on these types of animals. I think they are quite sensitive to PUFA and/or oxidative damage in general. Maybe because they are in ketosis a lot? I never really thought about it before.... but I am mildly curious now.

Dino D

I too felt pretty bad on low carb diets. Noticed no benefits at all, only bad results. Many people stay on low-carb diets for so long due to fear-mongering. "Don't eat sugar, it will give you diabetes and it will make your leg turn black and fall off". They think there is no other way to health. Also, due to so many people being vitamin B1 deficient, they think they somehow can't ever tolerate carbs again without getting blood sugar crashes, so they resign to a terrible, low carb life. The brain washing that the media does helps steer people into the wrong way and keep them there. I spent 2 years on a low carb diet and it was awful. In comparison, I've been on high sugar diet for almost 2 years now, and I'm feeling fantastic. I understand what my cells need and I eat as much as I want. I don't need to distract myself to "stop my sugar addiction". Knowing that each sweet thing that you eat is actually making you healthier is simply amazing.
so b1 and you can handle carbs again?

so b1 and you can handle carbs again?
It's certainly was a big piece of the puzzle. Having a healthy liver( caffeine and taurine),consuming very little PUFA and being replete in vitamin D are other very important parts too.

Inspired

I've had huge success with low carb and keto diets, in the past. I think these diets can be used very effectively for losing weight, or fat loss.

Until recently, I was a pretty firm believer in low carb or keto diets as being the best for weight loss, and the "healthiest" ways to eat. Then I came across Ray Peat......and now I am forced to admit......that on paper, he is right.

My thoughts as of now: low carb or keto are useful and effective..........but the question is how long to do them.

If someone is really overweight or even a little overweight, and they can get the fat off as fast as possible using low carb/keto, and then they can shift to a Peat way of living, then not much harm is done. They are then considered good tools to have available.

milkboi

I've had huge success with low carb and keto diets, in the past. I think these diets can be used very effectively for losing weight, or fat loss.

Until recently, I was a pretty firm believer in low carb or keto diets as being the best for weight loss, and the "healthiest" ways to eat. Then I came across Ray Peat......and now I am forced to admit......that on paper, he is right.

My thoughts as of now: low carb or keto are useful and effective..........but the question is how long to do them.

If someone is really overweight or even a little overweight, and they can get the fat off as fast as possible using low carb/keto, and then they can shift to a Peat way of living, then not much harm is done. They are then considered good tools to have available.

I also had this thought... maybe losing weight fast and then getting back on a metabolically healthy diet could be worth the temporary stress. Also thought of doing a zero PUFA ketogenic diet for PUFA depletion.

Inspired

I also had this thought... maybe losing weight fast and then getting back on a metabolically healthy diet could be worth the temporary stress. Also thought of doing a zero PUFA ketogenic diet for PUFA depletion.

I've been left confused by how hard it became for me to lose weight. I'm not that old, but the process was far easier and more forgiving when I was younger. I never got burnt out from exercise, or calorie restriction.

So I'm guessing I screwed my metabolism up and I'm probably storing a ton of PUFA.

You bring up a good point: yeah, wouldn't zero or super low PUFA keto diet, probably be more effective at replacing PUFA with saturated fats and losing fat altogether?

milkboi

I've been left confused by how hard it became for me to lose weight. I'm not that old, but the process was far easier and more forgiving when I was younger. I never got burnt out from exercise, or calorie restriction.

So I'm guessing I screwed my metabolism up and I'm probably storing a ton of PUFA.

Yeah same, screwed up my metabolism with years of low-carbing.

You bring up a good point: yeah, wouldn't zero or super low PUFA keto diet, probably be more effective at replacing PUFA with saturated fats and losing fat altogether?

Probably. But with it would come the nasty effects like high FFAs, high cortisol, serotonin, muscle catabolism etc. But I still might give it a shot. Maybe combined with a relatively large dose Vitamin E (to saturate free PUFAs from adipose tissue) plus something like progesterone + DHEA (to prevent too much muscle catabolism) could help dealing with the sides. And then after the diet one would be lean + PUFA depleted so that might negate the damage that was done by keto.

Inspired

Yeah same, screwed up my metabolism with years of low-carbing.

Probably. But with it would come the nasty effects like high FFAs, high cortisol, serotonin, muscle catabolism etc. But I still might give it a shot. Maybe combined with a relatively large dose Vitamin E (to saturate free PUFAs from adipose tissue) plus something like progesterone + DHEA (to prevent too much muscle catabolism) could help dealing with the sides. And then after the diet one would be lean + PUFA depleted so that might negate the damage that was done by keto.

Muscle catabolism isn't likely a concern if you eat enough protein. I think the key is force feeding enough calories so you are satiated, and to also keep your metabolism high enough. If you're getting enough calories, and don't down regulate your metabolism, you could perhaps jump into normal eating without gaining all the weight back.

The reason why I think that is because when I go over my previous low carb attempts, I almost never got enough protein consistently, or I consumed clearly too much PUFA.

I'm not too concerned about the other negatives. I would be more concerned however, if I was older and had way more of a toxic buildup.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals