Physically active men show better semen parameters and hormone values than sedentary men

Shocker, i know.

"The seminological values observed were supported by differences in hormones, with FSH, LH, and T being higher in PA than in SE (5.68 ± 2.51 vs. 3.14 ± 1.84; 5.95 ± 1.11 vs. 5.08 ± 0.98; 7.68 ± 0.77 vs. 6.49 ± 0.80, respectively). Likewise, the T/C ratio, index of anabolic versus catabolic status, was also higher in PA (0.46 ± 0.11 vs. 0.32 ± 0.07), which further supports the possibility of an improved hormonal environment. The present study shows that there are differences in semen and hormone values of physically active subjects and sedentary subjects. Physically active subjects seem to have a more anabolic hormonal environment and a healthier semen production"

P

pineywoodrooter

I've consistently lifted weights for almost 25 years now. Despite severe dietary mistakes, fasting, drinking too much alcohol, etc., my testosterone levels remained high. I personally attribute it all to the weightlifting. Reasonable strength training, not overdone, is the single best activity for healthy hormone levels, in my opinion.

Logan-

I've consistently lifted weights for almost 25 years now. Despite severe dietary mistakes, fasting, drinking too much alcohol, etc., my testosterone levels remained high. I personally attribute it all to the weightlifting. Reasonable strength training, not overdone, is the single best activity for healthy hormone levels, in my opinion.
What is a reasonable strength training for you? Could you detail?

P

pineywoodrooter

What is a reasonable strength training for you? Could you detail?

I prefer a full body workout structure performed three times a week. That's the best option for a natural lifter in my opinion. You're hitting each muscle group three times a week, as opposed to only once or twice on a split. Most importantly, you get four full days off from lifting.

You'd pick a variation of the following each workout: upper body push, upper body pull, lower body push, lower body hinge, and then an abdominal movement.

The key with full body workouts is to vary the load and movements. Unless you're "enhanced", you can't get away with performing a barbell back squat or deadlift every workout, but you can easily do a barbell squat on Monday for 6 reps, a dumbbell split squat on Wednesday for 8 reps, and kettlebell front squat on Friday for 10 reps.

A full sample workout could look something like:

4 sets of 6 reps: Bench Press, Weighted Chinups, Front Squats, Weighted Hyperextensions, AB Wheel

Google "Charles Staley full body workout". It's pretty similar to the program structure I've followed for 25 years now and it's been extremely effective.

It's important when following a program like this to not train to failure, vary your movement patterns, don't add too many isolation exercises (they are not really necessary), and don't skip the leg movements. Try to improve most workouts (add reps, more work in less time, and add a little weight to each movement when possible).

YourUniverse

4 sets of 6 reps: Bench Press, Weighted Chinups, Front Squats, Weighted Hyperextensions, AB Wheel

Google "Charles Staley full body workout". It's pretty similar to the program structure I've followed for 25 years now and it's been extremely effective.
Have you heard of Robert Dos Remedios? He won like strength coach prize 15 or so years ago, I think pioneering a type of plan as outlined.

Have you experimented with concentric-only training?

P

pineywoodrooter

Have you heard of Robert Dos Remedios? He won like strength coach prize 15 or so years ago, I think pioneering a type of plan as outlined.

Have you experimented with concentric-only training?

I have. I followed some of his Power Training workouts back in the day. They're pretty intense.

I haven't tried concentric-only. I bet it could work for short stints to mix things up or as an accessory to the main program.

Logan-

I prefer a full body workout structure performed three times a week. That's the best option for a natural lifter in my opinion. You're hitting each muscle group three times a week, as opposed to only once or twice on a split. Most importantly, you get four full days off from lifting.

You'd pick a variation of the following each workout: upper body push, upper body pull, lower body push, lower body hinge, and then an abdominal movement.

The key with full body workouts is to vary the load and movements. Unless you're "enhanced", you can't get away with performing a barbell back squat or deadlift every workout, but you can easily do a barbell squat on Monday for 6 reps, a dumbbell split squat on Wednesday for 8 reps, and kettlebell front squat on Friday for 10 reps.

It's important when following a program like this to not train to failure, vary your movement patterns, don't add too many isolation exercises (they are not really necessary), and don't skip the leg movements. Try to improve most workouts (add reps, more work in less time, and add a little weight to each movement when possible).
Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom