Phophorous And Nervousness/mental Agitation: Wisdom On Ca:phos Ratio From Past Bodybuilding Sphere

Daft

"Finally, Blair was studious in ensuring that his powders maintained a strict ration of two parts calcium to one part phosphorus. Three ounces of Blair’s protein thus provided 1100 mg calcium and 675 mg. phosphorus.This was a common concern of bodybuilders of the day as many believed that too much phosphorus in one’s diet resulted in nervousness and mental agitation. Interestingly, some from the golden age, such as Franco Columbu, continue to adhere to this principle."

Also interesting:

"Over several years, Blair found that bodybuilders eating a milk and egg diet tended to gain more muscle and remain leaner than those using all-meat diets. This convinced him that an egg-milk powder was the best option for trainees."

It is a shame how much wisdom was already present and functioning in the past and just gets forgotten as generations pass, the amnesia of generations:
"Blair was a stickler for correct production methods and was borderline obsessive about preserving the purity of his products. For this reason, the milk and eggs used in the powder were processed by a special low-heat vacuum method that was said to allow the protein remain in an undenatured form. This meant that little nutritional value was lost in the manufacturing stage, a method almost elusive to Blair."

"Blair’s protein was manufactured primarily using calcium and sodium caseinate derived from nonfat dry milk, lactalbumin (egg white protein) and dried whole eggs. Coupled with this, Blair also used iron phosphate and natural vanilla flavoring."

Source: The Secret of Rheo H. Blair’s Protein Powder

Anyways, theories on phosphorous mental effects?

Momado965

Vince Gironda also said something along the line of too much protein will leave one agitated so one must supplement with calcium.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Also possibly that bodybuilders were eating a real high protein diet, 300g+, and then they consumed very low calcium, so making the protein powder a major part of they diet, they got adequate calcium. Phosphate is also acidic, whereas calcium is alkaline.
Too much phosphoric acid could also increase parathyroid hormone by causing hypocalcemia.

Last edited:

Vinero

Calcium is definitely important, I just did an experiment where I cut out all calcium sources (milk, cheese, greens).
After about 3 days I began to become noticeably depressed, fatigued and somewhat anxious. It felt like I had low-dopamine or something.
These symptoms went away when I drank a large glass of milk.

Cirion

My only thought/question is what about the PUFA from an egg heavy diet?

I used to think bodybuilders eating excessively high protein was ridiculous, but with Haidut's study posted about a High protein diet being beneficial for insulin sensitivity, my new belief is that "bro" diets (High protein High carb Low fat) may indeed be the correct way to go - at least until insulin sensitivity is restored.. True you don't "need" more than like 150g protein a day, but that doesn't mean you don't get other benefits not seen from higher protein intake besides just more muscle gain. Though, didn't Haidut say if protein intake is too high, you get excess ammonia? How do you reconcile that? I don't honestly know much about ammonia or how it impacts the body yet, still learning, so just throwing that thought out.

Last edited:
OP
Daft

Daft

My only thought/question is what about the PUFA from an egg heavy diet?

I used to think bodybuilders eating excessively high protein was ridiculous, but with Haidut's study posted about a High protein diet being beneficial for insulin sensitivity, my new belief is that "bro" diets (High protein High carb Low fat) may indeed be the correct way to go - at least until insulin sensitivity is restored.. True you don't "need" more than like 150g protein a day, but that doesn't mean you don't get other benefits not seen from higher protein intake besides just more muscle gain. Though, didn't Haidut say if protein intake is too high, you get excess ammonia? How do you reconcile that? I don't honestly know much about ammonia or how it impacts the body yet, still learning, so just throwing that thought out.

Is egg that high in PUFA? Or do you mean Arachidonic Acid?

Well he calls it mountain man diet sometimes, I didn't post the original article through which I found these but it talks about farmer diets, and I've heard similar things about farmers living long healthy lives, eating eggs and bacon every morning their whole lives, they just eat protein available to taste! Anyways, the change of culture and forgetting of past diets leads us to think of high protein as a modern, bro/bodybuilding phenomena/fad, but this might be mistaken.

Here's the article... good old weston price... ;)
https://www.westonaprice.org/health...ens-the-history-of-nutrition-in-bodybuilding/

Ammonia I've definitely found interesting. I would bet it depends alot on whether the protein digests properly or fails to, which is a very complicated and uncertain subject of being able to determine. But I don't know or remember enough about it to assert this idea too much right now. Does it make theoretical sense - more ammonia would be produced by failed digestion of protein?

Cirion

Is egg that high in PUFA? Or do you mean Arachidonic Acid?

Well he calls it mountain man diet sometimes, I didn't post the original article through which I found these but it talks about farmer diets, and I've heard similar things about farmers living long healthy lives, eating eggs and bacon every morning their whole lives, they just eat protein available to taste! Anyways, the change of culture and forgetting of past diets leads us to think of high protein as a modern, bro/bodybuilding phenomena/fad, but this might be mistaken.

Here's the article... good old weston price... ;)
https://www.westonaprice.org/health...ens-the-history-of-nutrition-in-bodybuilding/

Ammonia I've definitely found interesting. I would bet it depends alot on whether the protein digests properly or fails to, which is a very complicated and uncertain subject of being able to determine. But I don't know or remember enough about it to assert this idea too much right now. Does it make theoretical sense - more ammonia would be produced by failed digestion of protein?

More natural eggs from animals who have a more balanced diet are better (RP talks to this I think, he eats more eggs when he knows the source). Thanks for the link, I'll read it sometime when I have some time. I think you're right, that a healthier metabolism can probably handle more protein more efficiently. This may be another reason RP recommends lower on the protein intake, besides just avoiding tryptophan and whatnot.

I've started to heavily dose Vitamin E on my final meal of the day which includes eggs. Vitamin E supposedly helps protect against PUFA's (as do SFA's). Hopefully this will mitigate the negative effects for me.

And for what it's worth, I had a 2:1 ratio of Calcium to phosphorus ratio for the first time yesterday, and today woke up at my lowest weight yet (despite eating 5200 calories !!!). I believe that Calcium fortified OJ may officially be my favorite food source now lol. It's basically almost a complete food, has magnesium, calcium, potassium (and sodium if you add salt), making it a perfect electrolyte balanced liquid basically.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom