Phlegm/mucus - all the time

Bob

Hi all,
I started to study Dr Peat's work about 6-8 months ago. I am trying to figure out why/what is triggerring what I'm assuming is sinusitis, or something like it - I have excess phlegm / mucus in my throat all the time. I take claritin as antihistamine and it helps a little. I have noticed sometimes when i stray from my diet and eat something with wheat that my wife notices i snore more at night. I have been wheat free for most of the past 6-8 months. I tried going dairy free for about 2 weeks and did not notice any improvement. I believe i read somewhere that increasing thyroid has helped others with sinusitis...has anyone here had a similar experience. I think i am ready to try supplementing with t3/t4, would love to solve this one and be able to breath freely! Thanks in advance

4peatssake

Bob said:
Hi all,
I started to study Dr Peat's work about 6-8 months ago. I am trying to figure out why/what is triggerring what I'm assuming is sinusitis, or something like it - I have excess phlegm / mucus in my throat all the time. I take claritin as antihistamine and it helps a little. I have noticed sometimes when i stray from my diet and eat something with wheat that my wife notices i snore more at night. I have been wheat free for most of the past 6-8 months. I tried going dairy free for about 2 weeks and did not notice any improvement. I believe i read somewhere that increasing thyroid has helped others with sinusitis...has anyone here had a similar experience. I think i am ready to try supplementing with t3/t4, would love to solve this one and be able to breath freely! Thanks in advance

Can you lay out your diet? That may help us perhaps see what could be causing what seems to be an allergic reaction.
Have you introduced any new foods recently?
It's always best to test things out singly so it's easier to monitor your response.
You could also start eliminating some other things one at a time since it doesn't seem to be the milk to see if your symptoms improve. Same with supplements.
Knowing when it started and what you were doing at the time may help you figure it out.

My only experience with this is when I am off diet and sleep.
Sorry I can't be more help.

OP
B

Bob

Good suggestion 4peatssake.....i have had this for many years, at least 5 and maybe more like 10years. I guess i gave up with doc's that would look in my throat and say things look ok, but i still had the frequent need to try to clear my throat. My current diet contains, 2eggs for breakfast (3-4 days per week), drink several glasses of raw milk, orange juice (1 or maybe 2 glasses day), beef or whole cooked chicken as protein source, alternating during the week, cheddar cheese during the day, sometimes the carrot salad with coconut oil, i sprinkle salt on my food, cook in cocnut oil, no wheat, no alcohol. I have ice cream a couple times a week. Herbal tea with sugar and some milk before bed. I have been off and on adding the great lakes gelatin to drinks, 2Tbsp's per day. Every now and then a soda (coke/pepsi), maybe 1 or 2 per month. I also eat bacon or sausage with breakfast (if eggs), maybe twice per week.

Thanks

Mittir

Since antihistamine is improving your condition it would be a good idea to remove
histamine rich foods and foods that increase histamine release.
Egg whites are known to be quite allergenic. Egg yolks are relatively safer.
Cheddar cheese and most hard cheese are high in histamine.
Histadine in chicken and fish degrades faster than beef and lambs.
Fresh chicken does have low amount histamine.
There is a speculation that citrus fruits including orange can cause
histamine release. You can try other RP suggested fruit juice instead of
OJ to be sure . Do you make your own OJ?
OJ need to be strained thoroughly to remove its fiber.
If you choose to use grape make sure it is sulfur free.
Make sure you are getting around 1500 mg of calcium
every day, it helps with lowering histamine in body.
salt has antihistamine quality.
Vitamin B6 is also known to lower histamine but lots of people
have bad reaction to B6 supplement. Try to get b6 from food.
This article has a good description on histamine intolerance.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/ ... l.pdf+html

Mittir

I forgot to add that thyroid supplementation helps a lot with all kind of allergy.
You need to make sure you have enough blood cholesterol before you start thyroid supplementation.
There are several threads on thyroid supplementation.

OP
B

Bob

Thank you for the suggestions, sounds obvious now, but i hadnt researched what foods were high in histamine. The oj is commercial, no pulp. I dont recall trying to eliminate oj before, guess i need to try it. Appreciate the input

Jenn

Mucous can be a protein digestion issue. Eliminating wheat is a good start as gluten is a hard to digest protein. For me, OJ improves my congestion by aiding the liver with good sugar, potassium and minerals.

pranarupa

Breathe less to increase CO2 retention, and in turn open airways, thin and expectorate mucous.
Breathe only through your nose.
This will fix the issue.

Jenn

Um, sometimes you can't breathe through your nose due to congestion. ;) A diphenhydramine at night helps me sleep and some days I wake up being able to breathe through both nostrils...at the same time. I can't do it too often though or I get dehydrated. Mucous is also protective.

chris

I had a massive of phlegm when I started eating more Peat-ish. I am not sure what solved the issue, I think mine was caused by milk. I think I eventually just got used to the milk after a few weeks.

onioneyedox

It doesn't actually seal the mouth shut tightly, not that scary actually. Just small peace of tape in the middle, as a reminder. I can easily breath through mouth if needed.

But yeah, I guess that is not for everyone. And read the article before testing.

I actually remember reading someone else recommending that also (maybe A. Vogel), long time ago so not sure.

Beebop

Jenn said:
Gelatin helps with snoring (also sleep apnea). If you eat muscle meats, you should be eating gelatin. Sometimes more gelatin than meat.

Hi Jenn, where did you read/hear this? I know gelatine helps with sleep,but if it also helps with sleep apnea I'd be interested in sharing the details with some friends. Thanks.

Jenn

The fellow that got me started healed himself and also helped lots of people with the same issue. Snoring is related to sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is also a CO2 issue. The body need sufficient CO2 to signal breathing, so if it runs out it stops breathing...until the co2 has built up again. O@ masks are a poor solution to the issue....because no Co2 is provided.

Jenn

It helps with everything else, why not?<L>
Actually, I don't really know as I have a tendency to not hold on to details on info that doesn't apply to me, I merely file it as in the "good" category. I was merely listening in on a conversation with someone else in the room.