Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio: Estimating the Presence of an Inflammatory Disease and the Catabolic State

Grapelander

Information on the Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio.
More information to make an informed decision in your amino acid choices.
I took much phenylalanine (w/ Gotu Kola) when I was younger (17 to 30 years old.).
As I got older I switched to Tyrosine. I tried taking phenylalanine last year and it felt gross.
I am thinking my ability to convert is reduced with aging.

The Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio evaluates the body’s ability to convert phenylalanine to tyrosine; Conversion enzyme requires tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), niacin (B3), and iron as cofactors.

Elevations in the serum Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio have potential value for estimating the presence of an inflammatory disease and the catabolic state of a person. The metabolic pathway here is the conversion of phenylalanine into tyrosine. The importance of this pathway is that it removes excess phenylalanine and it enables the production of sufficient tyrosine. Tyrosine is important for the production of neurotransmitters that function in the brain. The enzyme phenylalanine hydroxylase (PAH) is responsible for enabling the phenylalanine to tyrosine conversion to take place. High levels of phenylalanine, as seen in untreated phenylketonuria, cause brain damage and associated mental retardation. Early implementation of a low phenylalanine diet prevents the mental retardation associated with this condition.

Serum Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, and their Ratio in Acute Ischemic Stroke: on the Trail of a Biomarker?
Serum levels of PHE and TYR, measured using HPLC, and their ratio (PHE/TYR) were compared between 45 patients with AIS and 40 healthy control subjects. The relationship between PHE/TYR and the serum levels of several cytokines were also examined.

PHE/TYR was significantly higher in AIS patients than in healthy controls (1.75 vs 1.24, p < 0.001). A receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve analysis of PHE/TYR in AIS patients relative to healthy controls revealed promising sensitivity and specificity, which at an optimal cutoff of 1.45 were 76 and 85 %, respectively. PHE/TYR was positively correlated with interleukin (IL)-1β (r = 0.37, p = 0.011) and IL-6 (r = 0.33, p = 0.025). This study shows that PHE/TYR is highly elevated in the acute phase of AIS, and that this elevation is coupled to the inflammatory response.

Abnormal Serum Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio and Hyperferritinemia in Malignant Histiocytosis
Nine cases of childhood malignant histiocytosis (MH) showed an abnormally high serum phenylalanine (Phe)/tyrosine (Tyr) ratio (3.47 +/- 1.32) coincident with hyperferritinemia (50,800 +/- 33,600 ng/ml). Lactate dehydrogenase activity was also increased in these patients.

The Significance and Mechanism of an Increased Serum Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio During Infection
More than 95% of samples obtained during inflammatory diseases in man showed phenylalanine-tyrosine ratio increases greater than the maximum normal values. An increase in this ratio also occurred in monkeys with induced Rocky Mountain spotted fever, viral encephalitis, yellow fever, or pneumococcal and Salmonella infections, as well as in rats with pneumococcal and Salmonella infections, as well as in rats with pneumococcal, Salmonella or tularemia infections. A similar ratio increase occurred in rats inoculated with unpurified mediator substances (released by activated leukocytes) that appear to initiate many of the secondary metabolic phenomena associated with infection and/or inflammation. Isolated muscles from infected rats released more phenylalanine and less tyrosine than control muscles. Elevations in the serum phenylalanine-tyrosine ratio have potential value for estimating the presence of an inflammatory fisease and the catabolic state of a patient.

Increased Blood Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Ratio in HIV-1 Infection and Correction Following Antiretroviral Therapy
Increased PHE/TYR ratio is frequent in patients with HIV-1 infection and is related to immune activation. Mood disorders could also be due to an altered metabolism of the catecholamines dopamine, adrenaline (epinephrine) and noradrenaline (norepinephrine). In fact, clinical symptoms like depressive mood are more likely to develop in patients presenting with impaired enzymatic conversion of phenylalanine (Bottiglieri et al., 2000, Hoekstra et al., 2001, Shintaku, 2002, Stein, 2008). This fact could be of some relevance also in HIV-1 infection, because increased blood levels of phenylalanine compared to total amino acids have been described earlier (Ollenschläger et al., 1988).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals