Phenylalanine Better Than Tyrosine For Serotonin Depletion

RobertJM

I have so much phenylalanine in my cupboard. And BCAAs. I really should give it another trial. I just concentrate on the gelatin these days.

Saying that, I always found tyrosine way more mood elevating.

Elron

I notice good anti-anxiety effects from beta-alanine; I should get some phenylalanine and see if it does the same. Oddly, I don't notice anything from taurine.

alywest

Diet sodas also contain aspartate, which is excitatory.
I wouldn't drink diet coke, I just remember I used to when i was younger and it was kind of addicting. I heard RP talk about phenethylamine which is obviously in the same family and he said to keep the dosage really small compared to what most people recommend.

Kang

Phenylalanine, Beta Alanine, BCAA.... Why not get it all together in one product that puts it all in one easy to use product that is cheaper than each of them purchased individually, easy to use capsules, and has the synergy of mixing them all together?

Maybe check out IMPOWER Supplements AMINO PRO at Home and read the testimonials at the bottom of the page and check out the blog... I'm biased though, I make it and I use it every day.

Kang

6 Reasons AMINO PRO is better than your protein supplement

We purposely left out amino acids like cysteine, tryptophan, methionine, and histidine as these are common in the diet and can negatively impact performance. *Cysteine, histadine, methionine, and tryptophan in abundance act as precursors to substances that promote stress, inflammation, and poor metabolism.

We added;

1. The remaining Essential amino acids for their role in protein metabolism, healing, and repair, such as with Lysine. L-Lysine plays a major role in calcium absorption; building muscle protein; recovering from surgery or sports injuries; and the body's production of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies.
  2. BCAA's for their muscle building and recovery benefits
  3. Taurine & Phenylalanine to ensure you don't deplete dopamine while taking BCAA's as a lack of dopamine would take away your drive to do anything. It is also essential for antioxidation, cardiovascular function, and development and function of skeletal muscle, the retina, and the central nervous system.
  4. Glycine to bond with excess cysteine which creates glutathione, which is otherwise only possible to supplement with by IV or injections.
  5. Glycine to also improve sleep quality, recovery, lower inflammation and provide building blocks for neurotransmitters. Here are some other benefits The Most Important Amino Acid You Don’t Know About
  6. We added Beta alanine because it will combine with histidine and form carnosine. Not only is carnosine beneficial but this will lower the amount of available histidine used to manufacture things like histamine. Carnosine is also very expensive to manufacture and buy so getting it for free is an added benefit!
  7. What is so special about Carnosine? – Amazing Benefits for Athletes, Heart, Brain, Eyes, and Diabetes. ... Carnosine provides major, powerful antioxidant properties against one of the most damaging radicals, the hydroxyl radical. It protects one of the body's most powerful antioxidant systems, SOD, from damage and peroxidation. It is concentrated in muscles when they are working, and it is also found in the heart, brain, and many other parts of the body. Carnosine is used to prevent aging and for preventing or treating complications of diabetes such as nerve damage, eye disorders (cataracts), and kidney problems. More benefits here, https://selfhacked.com/2016/06/21/carnosine/

ddjd

I have so much phenylalanine in my cupboard. And BCAAs. I really should give it another trial. I just concentrate on the gelatin these days.

Saying that, I always found tyrosine way more mood elevating.
couldnt that be an adrenaline response?

RobertJM

so vit d supplementation wouldnt work?

I'm not sure. Is it the d3 that provides the benefit? I haven't looked into it.

As an aside, my cyproheptadine arrrived today! I'm gonna trial it with lisuride.

ddjd

I'm not sure. Is it the d3 that provides the benefit? I haven't looked into it.

As an aside, my cyproheptadine arrrived today! I'm gonna trial it with lisuride.
with lisuride?? why? i think i read something where haidut said its not necessary to take both at the same time

Kang

with lisuride?? why? i think i read something where haidut said its not necessary to take both at the same time

I always take them together but I have low dopamine and ciproheptadine lowers it further - I use the lisuride to improve dopamine response. If I recall it is a dopamine agonist.

BibleBeliever

Sunlight not vit D is required with Tyrosine to avoid the conversion to adrenalin
I wonder if red light can prevent the adrenaline conversion. Otherwise maybe a UV lamp would do it, for those who can't get enough sun in the winter.

Kang

I wonder if red light can prevent the adrenaline conversion. Otherwise maybe a UV lamp would do it, for those who can't get enough sun in the winter.

That’s a good question. I believe the red light wouldn’t but something like a Sperti UV lamp should be good. Of course timing it’s use with timing of intake of tyrosine might be challenging.

tomisonbottom

Just took tyrosine with bcaa's and no adrenaline response; all positives even though I wasn't really near the sun.

I'm in a room with windows; but definitely didn't have sun in my face.
It's a partly cloudy day, so some light in the room, but nothing intense, and it's 6pm here, so not that bright.

haidut

Forum Supporter
This could have been posted before, but I didn't find it in the search for this forum.

Effect of dietary phenylalanine and tryptophan on brain serotonin - ScienceDirect

"Dietary phenylalanine lowers the concentration of serotonin in rat brain and liver, probably resulting from in vivo inhibition of the decarboxylation of serotonin. No such effect was obtained in animals fed a high tyrosine diet."

...when these amino acids were fed as part of diet without adding extra BCAA. The serotonin reduction is likely due to the fact that L-Phe has direct inhibitory effects on TPH as I posted in another thread more than 3 years ago. When fed in combination with BCAA, both tyrosine and L-Phe contribute to serotonin depletion as they both compete with Try for transport across the BBB, but Phe also seem to inhibit serotonin synthesis directly. Another issue is that the effective doses of L-Phe were massive - about 100g daily for a human. The good news is that L-Phe also reduced liver serotonin, which is another suggestion that it inhibits TPH and does not simply compete with Try for transport across the BBB.
So, I think the old and tried combination of BCAA + 2g Phe would probably work better. Adding 1g tyrosine may help even more.
Good find though, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Koveras

...when these amino acids were fed as part of diet without adding extra BCAA. The serotonin reduction is likely due to the fact that L-Phe has direct inhibitory effects on TPH as I posted in another thread more than 3 years ago. When fed in combination with BCAA, both tyrosine and L-Phe contribute to serotonin depletion as they both compete with Try for transport across the BBB, but Phe also seem to inhibit serotonin synthesis directly. Another issue is that the effective doses of L-Phe were massive - about 100g daily for a human. The good news is that L-Phe also reduced liver serotonin, which is another suggestion that it inhibits TPH and does not simply compete with Try for transport across the BBB.
So, I think the old and tried combination of BCAA + 2g Phe would probably work better. Adding 1g tyrosine may help even more.
Good find though, thanks for posting.

I posted a study recently where 20g tyrosine increased prolactin in humans - @Travis was speculating that tyrosine could be displacing peripheral endorphins, freeing more of them to travel to the brain and increase serotonin/prolactin there.