Phenibut Withdrawal

HDD

My son is experiencing some extreme withdrawal symptoms from taking 2g and up for over a week. I read theanine might help. Any other suggestions? Could cyproheptadine help?

BobbyDukes

You need to check this thread:

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/4232 ... t-casualty

It's the humdinger of phenibut withdrawal threads. Everything has been discussed in it.

If it was me personally, I would buy some baclofen, and taper off using that.

I have some experience myself of being addicted to a GABA-b agonist, as I went through a period of addiction with GBL. Baclofen works a treat, but you have to know what you are doing, and how to dose it. Once you taper off the phenibut, you then taper off the baclofen. The experience can be painless, if you know what you're doing.

Phenibut is just as bad as GHB for withdrawals (if not worse), so your son must be having a rough time. The inability to sleep and hallucinations, is what screwed me up. It was like it was never going to end. Then, after about 3 days of not being able to sleep, your body finally gives in, and sleep gradually gets better. But this differs from person to person, and can depend on many things (especially how much they have been taking and for how long).

It may even be sensible to just ask your Dr. He may not know anything at all about phenibut; but that's why he's a medical professional. It's his job to use the tools he has at his disposal, to see what the drug does, and then think of what he can do for you.

Cyproheptadine is unlikely to do much, because it doesn't affect GABA-B. Theanine is also weak sauce. A benzo would be far more efficacious, or a drug like baclofen (that acts on the same receptor, and has nowhere near the abuse potential of pheninut).

Finally though, a week isn't all that long. It may just be a few shitty days for your son, before things start to normalise and get better. What about if he very slowly tapers down from the drug? That is a strategy used by many in that thread I just linked. It will be a miserable time for him, but may be less painful than going cold turkey.

BobbyDukes

Apologies. Ignore all that garbage I just wrote.

Theanine is a good supplement, but because phenibut is a hard hitting GABA-B agonist, it's like taking coffee to help with a cocaine addiction. It's not going to be strong enough.

He's only been on it a week. So, not that long. He can either taper off, or just get through the next few days of hell. Once his body finally allows him to sleep, things'll start getting better.

I personally wouldn't introduce a new drug (like baclofen), considering he's only been on it a week.

Cypro may help his chances of getting to sleep, but it wouldn't be guaranteed. It could also benefit his stress hormones, that are likely to be sky high in a withdrawal state. It could turn him into even more of a zombie though.

That's what I would do anyway. Good luck.

G

gummybear

HDD said:
My son is experiencing some extreme withdrawal symptoms from taking 2g and up for over a week. I read theanine might help. Any other suggestions? Could cyproheptadine help?

1. 2g is batshit insane, starting dose is 350mg. It comes in 250mg pills in eastern europe.

2. Taking it for over 7 days is just asking for hell. Once a week is already alot in terms of usage.

He could try glycine or something to calm him.

OP
H

HDD

Thanks for your insight.

He's in the hospital now. Dr. didn't know what it was so he called poison control. They said it couldn't cause his delusions.

They think phenibut won't but they treat alcohol withdrawals daily? :roll:

Greg says

I experienced the same thing. I was taking 2g a couple times a week. The withdrawal was intense, it lasted 15 days for me. Main symptoms were loss of appetite, insomnia, night sweats, feeling cold and anxiety. But I felt totally back to normal, so I wouldn't worry. I spent the two weeks reading up on lots of Phenibut forums which can intensify the panic when you read anecdotal horror stories. Its like a benzo withdrawal, which can mimic a feeling of psychosis. Something to do with the GABA receptors taking a while to normalise. He'll be fine.

uuy8778yyi

but can anyone answer the question ? what to take ?

taurine
theanine
b6

will they help ?

DaveFoster

Phenibut should not be used consecutively for any more than 2-3 days, due to its long half-life. Ideally, one should not exceed 1 g or so daily, depending on the individual. If one comes off for longer than that, as with any substance, he or she should definitely taper down, reducing the dose by 100 - 250 mg per day until down to zero.

L-theanine, magnesium, and niacinamide would likely make a negligible impact, as previously mentioned, but combined, they may help. Baclofen is a decent option, as is a drug with opiate qualities, such as kratom.

TheHound

is it really that bad? some people say you shouldn't take more than 1g. I don't really feel anything from it until I take like 3g. only once to twice a week at most though

Greg says

How does phenibut fit itno the peat apradigm if at all? What use is a gaba agonist?

I don't think it does fit into the Peat paradigm. Yeah it does work on the GABA system. That's why it can cause a disturbing withdrawal if used too often.

Drareg

How does phenibut fit itno the peat apradigm if at all? What use is a gaba agonist?

It acts as hdac inhibitor which Effects gene expression, Peat touches on this a bit, co2 behaving as a demthylating agent, doing the same essentially allowing expression I believe.
Too much methylation causes hibernation,cancers contrary to popular believe ,that increasing it is good.
Lidocaine and other Caines act as demethylators ,he speaks about very severe environmental issues might need treatment with more potent hdac inhibitors or demethylators. We are still trying to establish what way DMSO is swinging in all of this.

Greg is right about withdrawal from phenibut, any of the more potent agents have a spring back like effect ,the lesser potent hdac inhibiors like niacinamide have more coherent effects with no withdrawal, some indirect demthylators would be anything helping metabolism I think, like co2, lysine,k2 etc
Generally stress increases methylation.
Nicotine is a more potent hdac inhibitor which also causes withdrawal contrary to nicotine advocates who are justifying an addiction based on current research IMO .

Under certain context phenibut would be safer to use temporarily than a benzodiazepine, I believe benzos are also potent hdac inhibitor.
Obviously these supplements have additional effects beside hdac inhibition etc Nicotine for example can also increase adrenalin therefore behaves slightly differently .

And the GABA has no part in this, right :cool

Dopamine

NewACC

Despite its strong addictive potential (although there are ways to circumvent it, albeit in most cases partially), it has a huge pro-metabolic effect. Very potently blocks the effects of endotoxin shock, should correct fluoride-induced hypothyroidism even better than a stand-alone thyroid supplement, improves oxygenation increases uncoupling (specifically at the expense of uncoupling - I'm not sure) of mitochondria

ThinPicking

Despite its strong addictive potential (although there are ways to circumvent it, albeit in most cases partially), it has a huge pro-metabolic effect. Very potently blocks the effects of endotoxin shock, should correct fluoride-induced hypothyroidism even better than a stand-alone thyroid supplement, improves oxygenation increases uncoupling (specifically at the expense of uncoupling - I'm not sure) of mitochondria
These glorious effects will cease without continued administration though. It could only be considered Peaty for temporary frame to reflect and make appropriate behavioural changes. The user must keep that in mind and stay on task.

Outside of that it's only a means to guarantee a good time :wink:

I like your derp cat avatar :grin:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals