pharmacist says to take thyroid on an empty stomach, and avoid calcium for 4 hours

I picked up desiccated thyroid from the pharmacy today, and the pharmacist said to take it once a day in the morning, 30 minutes before food and 4 hours before dairy (calcium). Looking on google, it seems to be said that calcium hinders thyroid absorption... from what I understand, Peat says to take thyroid with food to slow absorption, and doesn't saying anything about avoiding dairy (of course), Am I missing something here?
Thanks very much in advance.

Mastemah

Peat mentioned he doesn’t avoid milk around thyroid and the slowing of absorption makes it less stressful.

mrchibbs

Yeah I think the slowing of absorption is a good thing, a steady dose of thyroid absorbed with food.

From my perspective, dessicated thyroid + meal is the most straightforward and effective way to take thyroid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

mostlylurking

I picked up desiccated thyroid from the pharmacy today, and the pharmacist said to take it once a day in the morning, 30 minutes before food and 4 hours before dairy (calcium). Looking on google, it seems to be said that calcium hinders thyroid absorption... from what I understand, Peat says to take thyroid with food to slow absorption, and doesn't saying anything about avoiding dairy (of course), Am I missing something here?
Thanks very much in advance.
I've taken prescription desiccated thyroid for over 20 years. I didn't have any problem with the calcium/milk blocking it until 2020. So I can attest that it is true that milk/calcium can block the med function, but I didn't have that problem for about 20 years, and then I did. It was very noticeable; it really slammed me and I couldn't hardly keep my eyes open. So I space my milk an hour away from the med and that seems to work fine. I think the 4 hour thing is overkill.