Pet peeve: People that stand to "make way"

Energizer

I'm sure you've probably seen these people around, they will stand far from you and wait for you to pass them, even when there's plenty of space available, on sidewalks and in parks. I encounter these types on the trails I frequent occasionally. They think they're doing you a favor. It's one of the most ridiculous and pitiful displays I have seen in my life. Fortunately it's only about one out of five of these types on my walks now as the muzzle is now fading as the fashion statement for virtue-signalers and I think people are missing human contact as opposed to "physical distancing" (another word for isolation). Lately I see more free human beings walking about which is a small thing I look forward to. I still see plenty of people put their muzzles on to walk into the store, but otherwise a lot of people are not wearing them out in the suburbs. Today on my walk, I walked by a cute blonde 20-something gal. We smiled and said hello. Felt like we had a "moment" even though it was just a hello. Almost as if we both said internally, "Finally another sane human being." Of course I'm a hermit so I don't mean to generalize. I'm sure there's people that still have normal social lives now out there, even now when it's harder to meet people.

yerrag

Remember, people are as superstitious whether it's caveman era or modern. Myths persist more in the modern era due to the ability to propagate false ideas by social media. And because modern educated people rely more on experts than on personal observation, analysis, and conclusions, believing in the myth of billion dollar funded studies to build evidence only experts can interpret, the cave man has more of the ability to survive. The cave man still questions, and does not believe the idea that all dinosaurs are vegetarian.

OP
Energizer

Energizer

Of course you are right Yerrag. And I understand this on a rational level, that propaganda and authority is what controls the masses. But on an emotional level I would be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed and exhausted with it all. Not as in wanting to give up, but just angry, annoyed, cynical, kinda sad with humanity. An extra layer of bitterness that I didn't have before. Having difficulty someday finding things that bring me joy. But I'm sure there's a lot of people that feel that way. I even got a therapist, which I haven't done in years, but the therapist hasn't been all that helpful, and they're oversaturated because of all the people seeing them now, so there's a long gap between appointments. In the past year, I took up weight lifting and walking in the woods more frequently, which have helped somewhat. I got a cat and he's also been good company.

I've taken my diet to the next level, cutting out irritating foods like cheeses with enzymes. I've lost a lot of fat and am considerably leaner and stronger with more muscle. But I still have this great feeling like things just are profoundly wrong right now and I envy those that are able to so easily take things in stride and to the best of their ability, tune out the negative in the world, despite it seeping into their everyday lives. I do not fall asleep as easily as I did years ago. My worries still existed, but I didn't feel the weight of the world on my shoulders every night when I tried to sleep. Now I feel this nagging existential anxiety that weighs on me day after day. Some days I forget that it exists, but something, some small thing or big thing will bring that feeling back to the centerfold.

Last edited:

yerrag

Rest assured I feel the same way you do. I can only reconcile myself to accepting that this is a world of lemmings. Recognizing some people as lemmings keeps you from getting frustrated in trying to change their mindset. As long as they are happy, they won't listen. And if they're unhappy, they are motivated into action, but manipulated into making things worse. You and I, we're only peas in a pod.

Nature is our solace. The cat keeps you honest. Enjoy the birds. Enjoy the shade a tree gives you. Try to stay healthy and be in good spirits with your health. Still try to be a light in the darkness. Don't have to change the world. Just be kind. Look how people to try to change the world end up. Like Bill Gates.

People have been getting killed all the time in hospitals ever since it became modern. Under this scam, people still feel blessed and thankful. They believe the science and the medicine is God's gift. People will keep passing on this way. If they're happy being fleeced and not knowing about it, then all is well for them. Telling them they've been lied to all along will disturb them, and they will die angry instead of having peace. Most would be disturbed differently though, that they even know a mad conspiracy theorist like you.

Let's be like birds and flock with our kind. Seek your flock, and from there seek your mate. It matters a lot. If you have children, you will be burdened by making safe decisions for the wife (or husband) and the kids. It becomes "it's for the children." Which means you have to take the "safe" choice. That choice is most often the wrong choice, as the choice deemed safe is the one experts will tell you to take.

Like say, if you have high blood pressure. Regardless of whether you think high bp is good (the body is adapting to a condition in the best way it can) or bad (high bp causes death), you have to take maintenance drugs to lower it in order to qualify for health insurance. If you don't have health insurance, your family suffers. Your spouse will nag you for being irresponsible, risking your health and your family's access to health care. That becomes the start of your worsening health, as the high bp drug will cause more problems, and yes, while you're taking that drug, take statins as well. So you end up in a rabbit hole and you end up taking a cocktail of a dozen of drugs. All because your spouse understands health differently from you, and you're forced to follow the spouse because "it's for the children."

Anyway, I'm going to stop. I don't like where this is heading. I don't want to depress you further, but stay real and you will come to peace with the reality of this world.

OP
Energizer

Energizer

Thanks for your comments yerrag, that was an uplifting read for me.

yerrag

Glad you feel better!

JanW55

Forum Supporter
I'm with you @Energizer it's all just so *too much* at times, as you stated so well, and thanks @yerrag -- your comment was absolutely the thing I needed to read right this very minute!

Mll777

I love this thread for the reason that I feel less alone, thanks indeed yerrag well spoken!

OccamzRazer

I'm sure you've probably seen these people around, they will stand far from you and wait for you to pass them, even when there's plenty of space available, on sidewalks and in parks. I encounter these types on the trails I frequent occasionally. They think they're doing you a favor.
Sometimes I intentionally walk by really close to them, is that bad?

OccamzRazer

Your spouse will nag you for being irresponsible, risking your health and your family's access to health care. That becomes the start of your worsening health, as the high bp drug will cause more problems, and yes, while you're taking that drug, take statins as well. So you end up in a rabbit hole and you end up taking a cocktail of a dozen of drugs. All because your spouse understands health differently from you, and you're forced to follow the spouse because "it's for the children."
Mistake number one: listening to nagging spouses or hedging against "what if?" paradigms.

In other news, very well said!

OP
Energizer

Energizer

Sometimes I intentionally walk by really close to them, is that bad?
Haha, not bad at all. That's kinda funny. Do they try and lecture you? Nobody has said anything to me so far thank goodness, just dirty looks sometimes.

I love this thread for the reason that I feel less alone, thanks indeed yerrag well spoken!

Yes, we all need that from time to time! If not in person with someone, the RPF at least offers that. Yeah. I too, feel less alone, MII777. This thread has been therapeutic.
I'm with you @Energizer it's all just so *too much* at times, as you stated so well, and thanks @yerrag -- your comment was absolutely the thing I needed to read right this very minute!
Thank you Jan! I concur with that sentiment.

OccamzRazer

Haha, not bad at all. That's kinda funny. Do they try and lecture you? Nobody has said anything to me so far thank goodness, just dirty looks sometimes.
Ok good haha. I do enjoy seeing reactions.

No, nobody has said anything. Some weird looks but I just smile and pretend there's nothing wrong...you know, cause there's not!

Vileplume

Do you notice the expression on (what you can see of) their faces? To me, they often seem indignant.

I just noticed something similar at Costco, the grocery store in the US. A women was standing with her cart, ready to push forward, but a string of about three carts, of which I came third, moved in front of her at a perpendicular angle. As she looked me in the eye, her face seemed annoyed, tired, impatient, yet righteous. It felt as if she thought “these slowpokes again, go don’t understand how to operate a grocery cart efficiently and speedily, guess I gotta wait for them.”

Maybe I’m just projecting this on her though, because I myself have felt this way often when my metabolism feels low, when I feel inflamed. I lose the ability to empathize and enjoy other people, I become impatient, and I view other people as a hindrance, as “getting in my way.” And while I feel and become aware of these negative attributes, I still feel superior to them, like they’re in the wrong, like I know something they don’t. I wonder how much of this apparent situation is due to their actions, and how much is due to my inflamed perspective.

akgrrrl

If it was just grocery carts, we prob wouldnt be worried. I know that I make thousands of judgements every day, and my sustained survival over many bookworthy situations has confirmed the right of my brain to do so. And yet, judging other humans for their path is scorned. We are all equal in "someones" eyes. Supposedly.

OP
Energizer

Energizer

Do you notice the expression on (what you can see of) their faces? To me, they often seem indignant.

I just noticed something similar at Costco, the grocery store in the US. A women was standing with her cart, ready to push forward, but a string of about three carts, of which I came third, moved in front of her at a perpendicular angle. As she looked me in the eye, her face seemed annoyed, tired, impatient, yet righteous. It felt as if she thought “these slowpokes again, go don’t understand how to operate a grocery cart efficiently and speedily, guess I gotta wait for them.”

Maybe I’m just projecting this on her though, because I myself have felt this way often when my metabolism feels low, when I feel inflamed. I lose the ability to empathize and enjoy other people, I become impatient, and I view other people as a hindrance, as “getting in my way.” And while I feel and become aware of these negative attributes, I still feel superior to them, like they’re in the wrong, like I know something they don’t. I wonder how much of this apparent situation is due to their actions, and how much is due to my inflamed perspective.
Yeah it's such a fleeting interaction, but I do often notice fear in their eyes, sometimes that stink-eye/self-righteousness you describe. Normally it doesn't phase me. Some lady glaring at me for my giant bags of sugar doesn't bother me. It's just knowing that some of these people sworn in to the fear cult of corona and they seem to hate you just for not being obedient drones like them -- that I find scary, how easily these people can turn loyalty from their fellow man and woman to their cult-leader Fauci. Maybe she did really feel all those things in that moment and you just saw them on her face.

When the next engineered crisis hits whenever it is slated to hit, (Schwab's "cyberpandemic" or whatever) people will probably lose their marbles over that too. That's been weighing a bit on me as well, but I am just trying to get my family prepared for it and not ruminate too much about it. Oh well I guess, it's out of my hands what other people do and react to. There's also the energy you project outwards that seems to have an effect on the other person's disposition, as we know. When I'm grumpy, people avoid me, when I'm in a good mood, people are more open and drawn to my presence. Of course, being in a good mood doesn't always work in disarming these disgruntled mask people. Maybe the high metabolism helps in making someone more resilient, but I think my metabolism is pretty good (not ideal to be fair), but I still let these annoyances shake my psyche. You make a good point. We're so conditioned to hate and fear each other as humans. It's easy to slip into the posture of seeing people as in the way or a nuisance when we're not at our best. I have been guilty of that.
If it was just grocery carts, we prob wouldnt be worried. I know that I make thousands of judgements every day, and my sustained survival over many bookworthy situations has confirmed the right of my brain to do so. And yet, judging other humans for their path is scorned. We are all equal in "someones" eyes. Supposedly.
True that.

Last edited:

yerrag

It's good to know we share a lot of the same sentiments and frankly, I am surprised we echo and resonate with each other.

Ben.

Mistake number one: listening to nagging spouses or hedging against "what if?" paradigms.

In other news, very well said!

Ok good haha. I do enjoy seeing reactions.

No, nobody has said anything. Some weird looks but I just smile and pretend there's nothing wrong...you know, cause there's not!

I like your attitude. Made me genuinely smile.

I noticed some friends/coworkers who follow the vaccination narrative to let loose and act/behave like they always did at times.
Feels good when people just act "normal" and interact with eachother like humans are supposed to. And noone catched or died of covid after these interactions ... who would've thought? Better imprison people for a few weeks when some paperwork says "positive" ... just incase ...

ugghhh

JanW55

Forum Supporter
When all this first hit last year, around here, fortunately the grocery store chains we frequent were still open, albeit with various "protocols" in place: limited numbers of people allowed inside at a time, wiping and spraying and "sanitizing" of grocery carts and surfaces going on constantly, mandatory mask wearing for everybody, etc.

In addition there were masking tape lines on the floors, all over the stores, signifying the "six feet apart" guideline, and one-way signs for indicated passage through grocery aisles, to enforce the "social distancing" aspects.

I noticed at that time there was an air, I felt, of "we're all in this together" and charming little "you go first, with your cart, into that one-way aisle" types of gracious gestures, rarely seen in past years of "normal" grocery shopping. The few people who went the "wrong way" were glared at and some seemed oblivious of the "new rules" (perhaps could not read the signs which were ALL in just English) and others glared back and barged on ahead belligerently, against the tide. Store management and personnel did not do anything about these cases that I saw.

I figured it was not the time to make a big anti-status quo stand, so chose the "go along to get along" approach. Signage stated that if these new processes were not followed the stores would not remain open.

NOW, one year later, those stores seem to be letting in whoever shows up, the sanitizing is more minimal. However masks are still required, for those who do not have a "card" proving vaccination. The aisles are two-way again but there is still 6-foot apart tape for checkout lanes.

The non-masked are indicating they have their "card" (or not, who knows, and so far I haven't seen anybody have to prove that to store managers) and since we have our masks on we are indicating we are not in the "vaxxed".

The "way out" (socially speaking I mean, as far as any official line about ostracizing) for the still-wearing-masks crowd is signage saying that everyone should respect those who are still wearing masks.

The "we're all in this together" sentiment, from one year ago, is changing to "them" vs "us" seems to me and it's unsettling to say the least.

We are looking into ways to get reliable grocery delivery and spend as little time as possible in the stores. Don't go out much otherwise anyway except to certain restaurants, the local ones that are "one-offs" not chains (which we never went to anyway).

Those are fine about all this and have resumed full seating so that is a vast relief. It is the official position (from state government) that masks are to be worn in restaurants at all times except when putting food or liquids into one's mouth, but these local places are not enforcing that, and the staff members are not wearing masks either for the most part.

akgrrrl

When all this first hit last year, around here, fortunately the grocery store chains we frequent were still open, albeit with various "protocols" in place: limited numbers of people allowed inside at a time, wiping and spraying and "sanitizing" of grocery carts and surfaces going on constantly, mandatory mask wearing for everybody, etc.

In addition there were masking tape lines on the floors, all over the stores, signifying the "six feet apart" guideline, and one-way signs for indicated passage through grocery aisles, to enforce the "social distancing" aspects.

I noticed at that time there was an air, I felt, of "we're all in this together" and charming little "you go first, with your cart, into that one-way aisle" types of gracious gestures, rarely seen in past years of "normal" grocery shopping. The few people who went the "wrong way" were glared at and some seemed oblivious of the "new rules" (perhaps could not read the signs which were ALL in just English) and others glared back and barged on ahead belligerently, against the tide. Store management and personnel did not do anything about these cases that I saw.

I figured it was not the time to make a big anti-status quo stand, so chose the "go along to get along" approach. Signage stated that if these new processes were not followed the stores would not remain open.

NOW, one year later, those stores seem to be letting in whoever shows up, the sanitizing is more minimal. However masks are still required, for those who do not have a "card" proving vaccination. The aisles are two-way again but there is still 6-foot apart tape for checkout lanes.

The non-masked are indicating they have their "card" (or not, who knows, and so far I haven't seen anybody have to prove that to store managers) and since we have our masks on we are indicating we are not in the "vaxxed".

The "way out" (socially speaking I mean, as far as any official line about ostracizing) for the still-wearing-masks crowd is signage saying that everyone should respect those who are still wearing masks.

The "we're all in this together" sentiment, from one year ago, is changing to "them" vs "us" seems to me and it's unsettling to say the least.

We are looking into ways to get reliable grocery delivery and spend as little time as possible in the stores. Don't go out much otherwise anyway except to certain restaurants, the local ones that are "one-offs" not chains (which we never went to anyway).

Those are fine about all this and have resumed full seating so that is a vast relief. It is the official position (from state government) that masks are to be worn in restaurants at all times except when putting food or liquids into one's mouth, but these local places are not enforcing that, and the staff members are not wearing masks either for the most part.
When you wrote "one-offs" did you mean "one of a kind, one -ofs" as meaning not a franchise restaurant, but a locally owned mom and pop type place?

JanW55

Forum Supporter
@akgrrrl yes that is what I was referring to, and there aren't that many left around here (been living around here since 1975 with brief attempts to live in other areas/states but always returned).

Restaurants and stores that were unique to this area were more plentiful in 1975 for sure, and there are a few hold-outs (mainly family-run).

I did not know people said "one-of" for that concept, but below I did find a somewhat, well, snooty-sounding writeup referring to the Old English Dictionary meaning: (from dailywritingtips dot com) -- I guess there must be the related term "knock-off" because that refers to the "inferior copy".

Anyhow, there are some "knock-off", I'll call them, restaurants around here that have sprung up in the last couple of decades intending to BE THOUGHT OF as the original one-off, but alas, they are not the same thing. Name similarity notwithstanding.

Although the definition of one-off contains the word of, the expression has always been one-off.
The expression is fairly new in American usage. It began as a British expression and derives from manufacturing jargon. Its first recorded date of use is 1934.
As a noun, one-off is defined in the OED as
A manufactured product made as the only one of its kind; a prototype; (more generally) something not repeated.
One-off can also be used as an adjective:
Made or done as the only one of its kind; unique, not repeated.