Persorption Of Starch?

J

jb116

My guess is that by the time you've boiled cinnamon pebbles to a mush, you've probably lost the point of them.
May as well either enjoy them in cold milk as they are intended despite being suboptimal if they don't seem to bother you, or cook a good batch of rice pudding with lots of cinnamon and raisins instead. :)
:) Yea you're probably right. I mean they really don't bother me to be frank. I think because i found Peat through a "the final straw" mentality, I have been asking the question ever since what is it that is done by the majority of people, to answer the question why are so many people sick. Thinking about PUFAs and being more conscientious about it was an eye opener and the first answer. Naturally I go on to other things/answers; in this circumstance "dry starch," as it is every where.

Jennifer

Hmm, that's the thing though, when I leave it to soak even in cold milk, the cereal is definitely swollen and bigger. I want this to be so pretty badly lol
Cinnamon pebbles? Yum! Makes me think of my favorite cereal — Fruity Pebbles. Anyhow, boxed cereal is typically made from grains that have been pressure cooked (with water, flavors etc.) so definitely not dry starch even though the finished product is dry. If you're interested, here's how cereal is made:

How Are Cereals Made? Hint: Lots Of Processing & Chemicals

tara

Thinking about PUFAs and being more conscientious about it was an eye opener and the first answer. Naturally I go on to other things/answers; in this circumstance "dry starch," as it is every where.
I figure 100% perfect food doesn't exist.
So I aim to be as rigorous as I can about avoiding the things that do me the most harm, and generally try to not go overboard on the somewhat suboptimal stuff.
For me ATM, that means minimising PUFA and dairy, avoiding wheat when I reasonably can, and generally making better choices where possible. But also eating treats now and then and accepting hospitality even if it doesn't always quite fit this.
I eat way less dry starchy foods since reading about the persorption issue, but I'll still have something now and then because I want it or because there aren't better alternatives around.

Tenacity

I figure 100% perfect food doesn't exist.
So I aim to be as rigorous as I can about avoiding the things that do me the most harm, and generally try to not go overboard on the somewhat suboptimal stuff.
For me ATM, that means minimising PUFA and dairy, avoiding wheat when I reasonably can, and generally making better choices where possible. But also eating treats now and then and accepting hospitality even if it doesn't always quite fit this.
I eat way less dry starchy foods since reading about the persorption issue, but I'll still have something now and then because I want it or because there aren't better alternatives around.

Not to derail the thread, but I was curious about your personal experience with dairy, and what your reasons for avoiding it were. What methods do you use to ensure adequate protein intake? A mixture of meat/seafood/eggs?

Travis

Do you think there is a direct connection between something which inflames the sinuses upon ingestion and how potent it is as a fragrance? I wouldn't be surprised if Subfood did this, I can smell macdonald meal from miles away, it's part of the addicting plan customers don't just buy their meals, they advertise.

Those lipid aldehydes are quite similar to lipid peroxidation products, something we probably wouldn't have been exposed to during evolution. Lipid aldehydes can add to primary amino groups of proteins, and should a lipid have two aldehydes it can crosslink them. Lipid aldehyde peroxidation products are catalyzed by intracellular free iron atoms, and when proteins crosslink around them it becomes an inclusion body termed lipofuscin. This is one good reason keep iron and polyunsaturated fatty acids to a minimum.

Travis

@Travis, How about corn chips made with masa flour? Does the nixtamalization break down the starch sufficiently.
I'd think the corn chip might represents the middle-ground in persorption risk, perhaps having a Volkheimer constant (ⱴ) of exactly five. I had imagined that more highly processed foods would undergo iterations of starch gelatinization/retrogradation as they're heated in cycles. My mental image of amylose particles suggests that intertangling would increase upon every retrogradation event. I would imagine that starch particles in a lye + water solution would gelatinize very well because its high pH should result in more ionized glucose chains, becoming negatively charged as their hydrogens are removed by lye. The increased zeta potential of amylopecin in nixtamalization solution ought to repel its neighbors more, yet tangling should still occur in proportion to drying. I think the traditional method would be heated only once after nixtamalization, yet modern processing techniques could involve more iterations of hydration/heating, which I imagine wound enhance amylopectin tangling.
And does soaking oats several times, changing the water and rhen a long soak before boiling work sufficiently?
I would think so. Even though oats had gone through at least one retrogradation cycle, I would imagine even the most intertangled amylopectin branches would eventually be pulled apart through tensile force supplied by the longer main strands induced by hydration in areas further removed. I would bet even the most crystalline starch—e.g. baked at 400° C for one week—would eventually completely gelatinize, and oats within just a few hours.. .

nwo2012

I'd think the corn chip might represents the middle-ground in persorption risk, perhaps having a Volkheimer constant (ⱴ) of exactly five. I had imagined that more highly processed foods would undergo iterations of starch gelatinization/retrogradation as they're heated in cycles. My mental image of amylose particles suggests that intertangling would increase upon every retrogradation event. I would imagine that starch particles in a lye + water solution would gelatinize very well because its high pH should result in more ionized glucose chains, becoming negatively charged as their hydrogens are removed by lye. The increased zeta potential of amylopecin in nixtamalization solution ought to repel its neighbors more, yet tangling should still occur in proportion to drying. I think the traditional method would be heated only once after nixtamalization, yet modern processing techniques could involve more iterations of hydration/heating, which I imagine wound enhance amylopectin tangling.

I would think so. Even though oats had gone through at least one retrogradation cycle, I would imagine even the most intertangled amylopectin branches would eventually be pulled apart through tensile force supplied by the longer main strands induced by hydration in areas further removed. I would bet even the most crystalline starch—e.g. baked at 400° C for one week—would eventually completely gelatinize, and oats within just a few hours.. .

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

tara

Not to derail the thread, but I was curious about your personal experience with dairy, and what your reasons for avoiding it were. What methods do you use to ensure adequate protein intake? A mixture of meat/seafood/eggs?
I put an answer in my own log thread: Towards Ending Migraines

Elephanto

What causes intestinal permeability will increase persoption. Except lack of glutamine and zinc and harsh substances like chlorogenic acid, citric acid, cayenne pepper, tannins, alcohol, fodmaps, high intake of fructose, these starches will cause it directly :

Wheat : gluten
Potatoes : saponins
Oats : saponins
Sorghum : saponins
Corn : prolamins

That leaves white rice, buckwheat and quinoa as the safest starches in this regard. Buckwheat has been shown to reduce thyroid activity and quinoa to increase estrogen potently. Brown rice has anti-androgenic factors contained in the bran, plus potentially high in arsenic and lead.

Last edited:

paymanz

What about chocolate and cocoa powder? It has some fiber and its really fine powder.

paymanz

To my knowledge raw starch is a major component in rodent diet,in nature. Also geladas(a primate i believe) eats seed,even wheat grains.

But i havent read volkheimer studies full paper yet.

Sitaruîm

What causes intestinal permeability will increase persoption. Except lack of glutamine and zinc and harsh substances like chlorogenic acid, citric acid, cayenne pepper, tannins, alcohol, fodmaps, high intake of fructose, these starches will cause it directly :

Wheat : gluten
Potatoes : saponins
Oats : saponins
Sorghum : saponins
Corn : prolamins

That leaves white rice, buckwheat and quinoa as the safest starches in this regard. Buckwheat has been shown to reduce thyroid activity and quinoa to increase estrogen potently. Brown rice has anti-androgenic factors contained in the bran, plus potentially high in arsenic and lead.
So a high intake of fructose is linked to intestinal permeability?