Personality Dimensions And Metabolism

Peatish Ninja

I've been thinking about introversion and extroversion and how energy is gained from these respective personality types and I'm wondering if one's metabolism is greatly affected by it.

If you were behaving like an extrovert not realizing that you're inherently an introvert, would this aid in destabilizing an optimal metabolism? The mind is a powerful force. If you're pressured socially/culturally to behave in a particular way because it's defined by success and happiness (extrovert) then perhaps this may trigger a slew of problems for the metabolism (and dare I say thyroid?). More damaging perhaps if you are unaware of such influences.

Are there multiple versions of the metabolism that could be identified by a personality type?

conhnore

bump, however I don't feel I'm equipped to give answers to your questions

I'd like to put a few things forward myself should others join the thread tho'

Drareg

I think introvert and extrovert are overused abused terms particularly in the pop culture domain. If you change the terms to outgoing or reclusive a clearer picture emerges.

The mind and body disconnect is an illusion as with the disconnect to the environment,it will effect the organism however you behave be it coercion or not.

I think you mean by metabolic type estrogen dominant,serotonin dominant etc? Yes this will skew perceptions and may be seen in physical expression of the organism,it's extremely difficult to pin it down however,it's far too dynamic.

Overall if you live in a bad environment you can potentially see its effects on you by changing the frequency the Brain is tuned into, psilocybin and LSD can assist this but theirs no guarantee they will work,major life events can cause this also and much more.
IMO.

OP
P

Peatish Ninja

If you change the terms to outgoing or reclusive a clearer picture emerges.

That's funny, this is what made my life a lot more muddier and abstract (followed by my past psychotherapist telling me I was an "extrovert").

I think you mean by metabolic type estrogen dominant,serotonin dominant etc? Yes this will skew perceptions and may be seen in physical expression of the organism,it's extremely difficult to pin it down however,it's far too dynamic.

No, I mean in relation to personality type. As in, your metabolism malfunctions due to the organism lacking the necessity to be either away (introvert) from others to gather energy or with others to do the same (extroversion).

Ultimately, I think there is a diversity to personality that I consider sexless and genetic. I will divulge further later; I must sleep.

FredSonoma

I can't really answer your question, but I have personally noticed that it quite often see what seems to be very hypothyroid / unhealthy that are extremely outgoing, but in a sort of shameless, weird way. And the healthiest people I know are actually somewhat reclusive - but they have much better social awareness and social shame. Of course there are exceptions.

Drareg

I can't really answer your question, but I have personally noticed that it quite often see what seems to be very hypothyroid / unhealthy that are extremely outgoing, but in a sort of shameless, weird way. And the healthiest people I know are actually somewhat reclusive - but they have much better social awareness and social shame. Of course there are exceptions.

Your onto something with this. Your getting at the manic types,essentially ego-mania,ego fuelled on manic energy.
Hypothyroid will manifest in differing ways though as with estrogen dominamant etc, none of it is black and white.
Cocaine being one of the Caine family demethylates DNA, people tend to become more outgoing and coherent appearing entertaining and intelligent to others, I think overall it allows you to access what you have downloaded from your life,in the wrong environment discussion fuelled on this stuff you will appear to be an imbecile/douchbag because you lack coherent life experience.

InChristAlone

Yeah and the problem with mania is there is always the come down. I don't think we can sustain true euphoria in this lifetime. I have felt a lot of manic energy at times with this Peat stuff and it turned out to be never a good thing.

OP
P

Peatish Ninja

I think "reclusive" is a poor word to describe someone who is comfortable in their own skin; socially reserved is more apt. I don't think people who are "extremely" outgoing have a thyroid problem either. I think the genome sits on a spectrum that reflects those who gain more energy input from others and others who gain more energy input from being "alone".

conhnore

No, I mean in relation to personality type. As in, your metabolism malfunctions due to the organism lacking the necessity to be either away (introvert) from others to gather energy or with others to do the same (extroversion).

this sounds to me like the way "pop psychology" frames the matter - I think this framing has merit inasmuch as it casts light on the importance of recognizing that our orientations (be they extroversion or introversion) can affect our health

My disagreement with this framing (and your framing, sorry!) enters here, tho': I am not sure if one could "damage" oneself in keeping on with the pretense that they're extroverted when they are in fact introverted

To keep with the context of healthy and unhealthy interpersonal relations and "damage": as William Blake said, "Opposition is true friendship."

Ray Peat said (I don't know where):
“Just as the brain stimulates and maintains the other tissues, and each hemisphere has a trophic, stimulating effect on the other, the older, instinctive systems of the brain activate the cortex, and exert a trophic, growth-promoting influence on it. Wild animals have larger brains than caged ones, which implies that life and freedom are brain stimulants. Problems are opportunities. People can be the richest kind of opportunity, the most stimulating kind of problem. To do this they have to arouse tension. (Blake said ‘opposition is true friendship.’) This is not to advocate competition. Competition tries to eliminate the problem by defeating an opponent, and can exist only in the armored character, which allows energy to flow only in one direction, and which can’t tolerate tension. (An opponent-friend is one who ‘inspires’ you, who makes you gasp for breath and resolution.)”

I think if you are forced to relate with people that do not foster opposition or "gasping for resolution", your "slew of problems" might follow. Speaking from experience, I'm sort of in that situation; my housemate and I have apparent deficiencies as to how we relate to each other. I think he exerted a negative influence on my healing course. (Perhaps his using antipsychotics, tobacco, weed, alcohol, modafinil, and an anxiolytic daily did, too, however.)

(I think that Meyers-Briggs typology is helpful in elucidating these kinds of relations, I'd be willing to discuss it.)

((apologies if this is unclear, I'm relearning as to how to participate on online forums))

Frankdee20

Yeah and the problem with mania is there is always the come down. I don't think we can sustain true euphoria in this lifetime. I have felt a lot of manic energy at times with this Peat stuff and it turned out to be never a good thing.

As an extremely reclusive person, I wonder what the hell it must be like to be manic, or overly social, outgoing, etc. All the Cocaine in the world would never make me a more outgoing person, I'd just get way way way too internally stimulated, and avoid social interaction for the time being. It's almost as if stimulants would just stimulate my introverted self to be more introverted, lol. Seems like relaxants, alcohol, calming nutrients allow me to live in the environment, and not in my head.

InChristAlone

As an extremely reclusive person, I wonder what the hell it must be like to be manic, or overly social, outgoing, etc. All the Cocaine in the world would never make me a more outgoing person, I'd just get way way way too internally stimulated, and avoid social interaction for the time being. It's almost as if stimulants would just stimulate my introverted self to be more introverted, lol. Seems like relaxants, alcohol, calming nutrients allow me to live in the environment, and not in my head.
Sounds kinda like autism, you have so much internal tension that you can't open up to people. Serotonin Antagonists seem helpful for that kind of thing. Social anxiety is pretty common. That being said mania doesn't necessarily mean being outgoing. It mostly means making choices that aren't the best for the long term. Unless you have a lot of self control. I've known a few Peatarians that make impulsive decisions based on this euphoria.

Frankdee20

this sounds to me like the way "pop psychology" frames the matter - I think this framing has merit inasmuch as it casts light on the importance of recognizing that our orientations (be they extroversion or introversion) can affect our health

My disagreement with this framing (and your framing, sorry!) enters here, tho': I am not sure if one could "damage" oneself in keeping on with the pretense that they're extroverted when they are in fact introverted

To keep with the context of healthy and unhealthy interpersonal relations and "damage": as William Blake said, "Opposition is true friendship."

Ray Peat said (I don't know where):

I think if you are forced to relate with people that do not foster opposition or "gasping for resolution", your "slew of problems" might follow. Speaking from experience, I'm sort of in that situation; my housemate and I have apparent deficiencies as to how we relate to each other. I think he exerted a negative influence on my healing course. (Perhaps his using antipsychotics, tobacco, weed, alcohol, modafinil, and an anxiolytic daily did, too, however.)

(I think that Meyers-Briggs typology is helpful in elucidating these kinds of relations, I'd be willing to discuss it.)

((apologies if this is unclear, I'm relearning as to how to participate on online forums))
Sounds kinda like autism, you have so much internal tension that you can't open up to people. Serotonin Antagonists seem helpful for that kind of thing. Social anxiety is pretty common. That being said mania doesn't necessarily mean being outgoing. It mostly means making choices that aren't the best for the long term. Unless you have a lot of self control. I've known a few Peatarians that make impulsive decisions based on this euphoria.

All these labels, whose to say it's not Schizoid personality disorder, absolute apathy towards the inhabitants of this world ? Serotonin this and that, few things in this life, especially personality dimensions, are black and white. Nobody knows what's going on in the brain and where, at any given time, just from feeling a certain way, perhaps this is all is conjecture.

Luann

Same here I can feel GREAT health-wise and mood but still will hit a point socially. It's not a point of fear. It's as though my body has set a limit on how many conversations to start and interactions to have and it is a good and healthy limit so I obey it. No matter what I'm "on" or feeling.

InChristAlone

All these labels, whose to say it's not Schizoid personality disorder, absolute apathy towards the inhabitants of this world ? Serotonin this and that, few things in this life, especially personality dimensions, are black and white. Nobody knows what's going on in the brain and where, at any given time, just from feeling a certain way, perhaps this is all is conjecture.
I don't like labels, it just helps to explain things. Schizophrenia is definitely different than autism. But just because one is diagnosed doesn't mean that is who they are.

Frankdee20

I don't like labels, it just helps to explain things. Schizophrenia is definitely different than autism. But just because one is diagnosed doesn't mean that is who they are.

Well, schizoid is a personality disorder, like histrionic or antisocial, etc., characteristized by extreme apathy toward people, loner behaviors, etc. Schizophrenia is a psychiatric/psychotic major axis 1 disorder. I understand though, I'm at a loss, but I think Liubo explained kind of my jist, I guess I have a threshold for socializing that I wish could be broken, via natural inclinations. Meaning, I wish I had more gumption to foster, cultivate networks, relationships, etc. Then again, that very desire cancels out schizoid personality, perhaps I'm more of an Avoident Personality archetype.

Pompadour

Well , there are people that prefer to be in company - even if it is not the best for them - but not alone. For me they are extroverts. They need company to travel or go to the movie etc.
And introverts just choose their companions more carefully and don't feel actual need for it. If they have no one convinient - then they would better be alone.

I consider myself introvert. I don't mind to be with people - the loved ones, whom i am comfortable with. But when people are not in line with my "way of thinking and way of life" - then i prefer to be alone, because they make me tired. While traveling or going out alone i absorb the culture and everything better. I don't need to discuss it with anyone.

But i don't think that this helps to understand metabolism. I saw extroverts and intriverts with exact the same problems and health complications.

Waynish

I think the issue is more about not being able to act how you want to because of a metabolic issue. For example an Asian without the ability to metabolize alcohol while on it... Someone eating a food their allergic to and feeling anxiety. Someone with any gut issues, so their energy is low and they feel like they might need to conserve it. This reminds me of a guy I worked with once who had skin problems, smoked lots of weed to cope with it, and flew off the handle regularly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals