Permanently Fixing Hypothyroid Through Short Term T3

Spartan300

The conclusion I'm coming to at least for myself is that T4 to T3 conversion might be everything.
I've been struggling with hypo symptoms & low temps for a long time now (TSH 2.5, T4 mid-range, no T3 test..) and no supplements have made a difference except for a brief spell of approx 1 week when my temps went up significantly and I felt 20 years younger. At that point I started getting into some deep sleep for the first time in years & my libido massively improved. In checking purchases around the time I had been taking zinc & selenium leading up to the improvement, which Dr Wilson in this report cites as critical for T4 to T3 conversion.
Worth noting that I believe overtraining, stress & years of PUFA whilst avoiding saturated fat put me into this situation & I dug myself straight back into the same hole because feeling so much better I hit the gym harder again than I had in a while and have been there since...

So I decided to try T3 (Tyronene 1 drop before bed) as NDT did nothing for me. My waking temps from the first night shot up from an average of 96.7 to 97.6 but this lasted precisely 3 days before returning to 96.8/96.9 for the last 3 days.

Any recommendations from the community? Do I persevere, up the dose or determine that T3 isn't for me? Any insight much appreciated.

OP
ecstatichamster
Sounds like the T3 cycle is going well for you mate.

How often do you do the Buteyko breathing? and does it entail simply holding your breath after exhale for as long as you comfortably can?

I don’t do breathing exercises on an everyday. There is no need. If I have to it is because I’m sick. Normally I have high co2.

Saba

I just saw this thread. I tried Dr Wilson’s protocol and it worked to raise my temps to normal. I had to do it twice for the temps to stick. It’s been about 6 months and my temps have consistently been 98.6 to 98.8.

My blood pressure also went from low to normal, and my chronic fatigue disappeared.

The only puzzling thing is that my pulse is still only in the mid to high 60s and I keep waking up before dawn, which suggests that my thyroid function isn’t quite perfect despite the good temps and blood pressure. I recently tried the protocol a third time to see if it would help my sleep. It did and I slept like a baby while I was taking the T3, but as soon as I went off it I started waking up before dawn again.

I got the slow release T3 from the pharmacy Dr Wilson uses - Wellness pharmacy in Alabama. If you call them they will tell you which doctors in your state use his protocol, how often they prescribe it, etc.

Before Dr Wilson’s protocol I tried different combinations of NDT and T3 and none of them worked well. I only got very minor benefits, and if I went above 2.5 grains of NDT I became more hypothyroid than before.

OP
ecstatichamster
I wouldn't say I have this figured out. If I don't eat pretty steadily my temps fall to the low 97s.

I did wake again at 97.6. It's interesting. Thanks @Saba but I don't want to see doctors. I think this is working out okay.

thomas00

The conclusion I'm coming to at least for myself is that T4 to T3 conversion might be everything.
I've been struggling with hypo symptoms & low temps for a long time now (TSH 2.5, T4 mid-range, no T3 test..) and no supplements have made a difference except for a brief spell of approx 1 week when my temps went up significantly and I felt 20 years younger. At that point I started getting into some deep sleep for the first time in years & my libido massively improved. In checking purchases around the time I had been taking zinc & selenium leading up to the improvement, which Dr Wilson in this report cites as critical for T4 to T3 conversion.
Worth noting that I believe overtraining, stress & years of PUFA whilst avoiding saturated fat put me into this situation & I dug myself straight back into the same hole because feeling so much better I hit the gym harder again than I had in a while and have been there since...

So I decided to try T3 (Tyronene 1 drop before bed) as NDT did nothing for me. My waking temps from the first night shot up from an average of 96.7 to 97.6 but this lasted precisely 3 days before returning to 96.8/96.9 for the last 3 days.

Any recommendations from the community? Do I persevere, up the dose or determine that T3 isn't for me? Any insight much appreciated.

Maybe the dose is too high. Have you tried smaller amounts like 5mcg or less? Sometimes that works better than larger amounts. An excess or thyroid hormone can often look exactly the same as a deficiency, only more pronounced.

Ray has said things might be missing in the diet if it's not working well- the b vitamins and particularly vitamin A.

Have you tried adding in some t4 at night?

Which brand of NDT were you taking? I've tried a few and they are all junk except for Idealabs Tyromax.

Spartan300

Thanks @thomas00 the NDT I tried was tyromax.
I would try smaller t3 dose but 1 drop of tyronene is 8mcg. I guess I could just touch the bottle to my skin for a smaller dose.
The right B vitamins is something I will try increasing.
I've not tried T4 only as my levels seemed pretty good?

Matt C

Nice info Spartan. I must say i've upped my intake of seaweed and brazil nuts for the iodine and selenium but haven't noticed much difference. Tiromel seems to have increased my temp only slightly but im still on a very low dose however my mood has improved.

Eating oysters seems to have a nice effect on me with the zinc content. maybe i should be more consistent with the seaweed, nuts and oysters as i don't think i've regularly all three together on a weekly basis.

Spartan300

@Matt C I'm noticing a mood improvement too which I think is the T3. Last night I just dabbed my tyronene bottle on my skin in 3 places & slept a bit better. I know that getting to 97.7 as a waking temp makes a huge difference for me. This morning I was at 97.3.

I have some kelp tablets (150 micrograms iodine) which I think I'll try again with.

Getting to the doses @ecstatichamster has been using would mean using more than 20 drops tyronene/day which I can't imagine doing at the moment. Maybe it's just a case of ramping up very slowly.

OP
ecstatichamster
I’m taking less and less. Hopefully nothing in a week or so. Woke at 97.8. Needed maybe 50mcg yesterday to maintain temps around 98 to 98.6

Stramonium

I've been using an eighth of a Cynomel two times a day resulting in higher oral temperature, also my extremities feel really warm and my appetite has gone through the roof. Sleep is great, feeling better in the morning. Vivid dreams are a thing now for some reason

OP
ecstatichamster
It’s so interesting. Today so far I have taken about 27mcg and been at good temperatures all day.

This seems to be working.

OP
ecstatichamster
Nothing wrong with lesser amounts but my path is to use Dr. Wilson’s protocol on my own, which involves basically replacing your natural thyroid production with exogenous T3 and getting up to temperature, then weaning off.

Stramonium

I tried 12mcg turned out to be too much of a dose, made me sleepless, nervous and uncomfortably hot

Matt C

@Matt C I'm noticing a mood improvement too which I think is the T3. Last night I just dabbed my tyronene bottle on my skin in 3 places & slept a bit better. I know that getting to 97.7 as a waking temp makes a huge difference for me. This morning I was at 97.3.

I have some kelp tablets (150 micrograms iodine) which I think I'll try again with.

Getting to the doses @ecstatichamster has been using would mean using more than 20 drops tyronene/day which I can't imagine doing at the moment. Maybe it's just a case of ramping up very slowly.

Interesting. 97.3 is what i wake with and thats usually a good temp for me - which sucks.

I've been on 12.5 mcg a day for about 3 weeks now and I can't say its doing much other than improved mood.

Granted, i haven't been always on time with my dosing every day but today im kicking it up to 18.75 mcg a day. 6.25 in morning, 3.125 lunch, 6.25 afternoon, 3.125 night. hopefully this does better for me.

Matt C

Nothing wrong with lesser amounts but my path is to use Dr. Wilson’s protocol on my own, which involves basically replacing your natural thyroid production with exogenous T3 and getting up to temperature, then weaning off.
Any improvement in hair quality hamster?

Spartan300

@Matt C I decided to try upping my T3 dose to 16mcg yesterday (8mcg @noon, 8mcg before bed) and after a really poor night's sleep my waking temperature today was 96.4.

One other variable was a take-out chinese meal shared for a family birthday......

I really have to find a way of getting my temps up because I feel like a different person on the rare occasion it happens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals