Permanently Fixing Hypothyroid Through Short Term T3

OP
ecstatichamster
@ecstatichamster

How did you do the T3 Wilson protocol with cynomel or tyronene (or any T3 non sustained release)? I'm having hard time deciding how to do the protocol after reading some of the info on his webpage. Also, how do you take your temperature? I've been trying to use the thermometer that you swipe on your forehead and it doesn't get consistent accurate temperatures. Thanks for the help!

I don't have time release. I just took it as I took it as best I could. I use an oral thermometer which works great.

thomas00

@ecstatichamster

How did you do the T3 Wilson protocol with cynomel or tyronene (or any T3 non sustained release)? I'm having hard time deciding how to do the protocol after reading some of the info on his webpage. Also, how do you take your temperature? I've been trying to use the thermometer that you swipe on your forehead and it doesn't get consistent accurate temperatures. Thanks for the help!

Have you read Ray's comments on time-release t3?

Mary Shomon: You have recommended if supplemental T3 is used, a thyroid patients "nibble on a 10-15 mg Cytomel tablet throughout the day." Can you explain why? Would compounded time-released T3 as available in some compounding pharmacies do the same?

Dr. Ray Peat: Most hypothyroid people can successfully use a supplement that contains four parts of thyroxine for each part of T3, but some people need a larger proportion of T3 for best functioning. The body normally produces several micrograms of T3 every hour, but if a large amount of supplementary thyroid is taken in a short time, the liver quickly inactivates some of the excess T3. Taking a few micrograms per hour provides what the body can use, and doesn't suppress either the liver's or the thyroid's production of the hormone.

I have only rarely talked to anyone who had good results with the so-called time-release T3, and I have seen analyses of some samples in which there was little or no T3 present. It is hard to compound T3 properly, and the conditions of each person's digestive system can determine whether the T3 is released all at once, or not at all. I don't think there is a valid scientific basis for calling anything "time-release T3.
"

Maybe it doesn't matter so much if it's time-release or just the regular stuff...

OP
ecstatichamster
Well I don’t think I agree with Dr. Peat here. The compounding pharmacies make the time release T3, to my understanding. There are no time release T3 that I could find on the market other than “custom made” by the compounding pharmacies in the USA.

Also, the Wilson protocol is a short term way to restore thyroid function. And I think it works. Dr. Peat’s concept is fine for long term and even “forever” fixing thyroid issues. Nothing wrong with it. But my idea is to hopefully not need to continually supplement with thyroid.

I was listening to a very recent interview with Dr. Peat, maybe the Timpone interview of September 2019, and he was expressing pessimism about getting off of thyroid supplementation and indicated few actually are able to do that. But that is what Dr. Wilson’s protocol is about and I feel that it works.

In my case, as Dr. Wilson has explained in his book, it did not work fully but often requires several “resets”. I’ll do a second one soon. I have more T3 coming in the mail.

Before time release was what he recommended, Dr. Wilson used regular T3 and it worked. It wasn’t as good as time release perhaps. But it worked. If you are diligent about taking temperatures I think it can work well. I never figured out how to maintain high temperatures at night, though, other than a few nights when my temperatures stayed good. My waking temperatures are still in the low 97s. On the other hand, temperatures easily come up into the 98s during the day. Again, I’m not on zero T3. So I’m not proof it works but I think it works but sometimes things are stubborn in the human body.

In general, and this is a good thing, I am not easily reactive to any supplements or drugs. My body has a great deal of metabolic inertia or homeostasis.

thomas00

ha, I happened to watch that a few nights ago

His view on thyroid was certainly interesting considering he -as far as I can tell- has no extensive medical knowledge. I think he's wrong though.

He also seems to have a very expensive looking watch now that I watch it again....

tara

He claims that many of the issues stem from the lowered temperature itself, but if this wased true, simply increasing it artificially would suffice to solve them for as long as it stayed elevated: it doesn't happen.
I wonder if it might be explainable like this - speculation:
If the current set point is too low, it is hard for the body to maintain all it's functions (many processes work at optimal rate only when in optimal temp range).
If you increase temperature above the current set point, the body can interpret this as stressful and try to bring it back to thermostat setting. Stress interferes with healing.
If you can get the thermostat to reset to optimal temp, then those processes can work well again; energy and recovery can flow.

HUF

Amazing thread.
I love how @ecstatichamster is logging everything. I hope to know also how you do when you stop supplementing T3. If you do substancially better, I might be the next to try this.
My main problem is low waking temperature (97 ºF or 36ºC), but when I eat it starts to rapidly climb up to 36.5 to 37.2 ºC (sun light usually sky rockets my temp and pulse)

I used to always wake at 36c, I emailed Ray and he said that's fine as long as it rises after eating etc and into the early afternoon. I just kept on eating Ray's suggested foods slowly increasing cals to 3k+ daily (I'm mainly sedentary) and my waking temps are now 36.4 everyday and 36.9 to 37.2 of an afternoon. Healing takes time.

OP
ecstatichamster
I used to always wake at 36c, I emailed Ray and he said that's fine as long as it rises after eating etc and into the early afternoon. I just kept on eating Ray's suggested foods slowly increasing cals to 3k+ daily (I'm mainly sedentary) and my waking temps are now 36.4 everyday and 36.9 to 37.2 of an afternoon. Healing takes time.

yeah. I think this is true. Thanks for this experience share as I think it’s helpful.

OP
ecstatichamster
So I’m going to continue documenting my experiment.

My current practice is this. I take nibbles of a 25mcg Tiromel tablet through the day. Maybe more. To make sure I reach 98.6 or 99 and stay there most all the time. My goal a la Wilson is to be averaging 98.6 throughout the day.

At the same time, I’m increasing my sugar intake (good sugars such as OJ, fruit, stewed fruit, grape juice) maybe 20% (I don’t really count) and adding more sugar to my milk.

I will see if I can get my waking temperatures up higher and higher this way. That has always been the issue — waking temperatures.

So I’m going to continue documenting my experiment.

My current practice is this. I take nibbles of a 25mcg Tiromel tablet through the day. Maybe more. To make sure I reach 98.6 or 99 and stay there most all the time. My goal a la Wilson is to be averaging 98.6 throughout the day.

At the same time, I’m increasing my sugar intake (good sugars such as OJ, fruit, stewed fruit, grape juice) maybe 20% (I don’t really count) and adding more sugar to my milk.

I will see if I can get my waking temperatures up higher and higher this way. That has always been the issue — waking temperatures.
Hey hamster, Im going to try what you suggest or rather what Wilson suggests but without T3 use. I don't think you can get a permanent boost in T3 unless you make a permanent change to your diet, sleep and exercise routine.

OP
ecstatichamster
Alex, I wish it was true that those changes were sufficient. They are necessary but not sufficient in my experience.

Just for you or do you believe everyone needs T3? I can regularly reach high temperatures without any T3 the only issue is my dedication to eating healthy foods and enough of them. Maybe my younger age is a factor... not sure how many years young you are though so don't want to assume.

Not everyone needs T3. I do though. I’m almost 60 btw.
Oh wow! My father is a few years older then you but is not so well informed but I bought him a bottle of Magnoil that he’s currently taking and just that alone is helping him immensely as he was telling me he has mild arthritis and muscle pain although it’s not doing much for his arthritis he has told me his muscles feel much more relaxed. Best of luck with your health hamster!

OP
ecstatichamster
I have had a bit of chest acne, and also erections haven’t been as super top notch as usual. So I says to myself, I says, hey, maybe it’s all that milk. Maybe you should cut back on it.

So that’s my plan.

Close to zero starch.

A glass or two of milk a day

Some cheese

Most protein from meat/fish/skinless boneless poultry breast

The usual collagen

And T3 to get temps up to average 98.6 during the day, with a suitable ramp-up period.

Even with just the same amount of T3, roughly 25mcg a day, I hit 97.4 waking temps, and I’m at 98.6 or so during the day.

Perhaps getting off all that milk (2 liters a day) was a good idea.

Still have to see. Giving it a few weeks.

OP
ecstatichamster
Oh wow! My father is a few years older then you but is not so well informed but I bought him a bottle of Magnoil that he’s currently taking and just that alone is helping him immensely as he was telling me he has mild arthritis and muscle pain although it’s not doing much for his arthritis he has told me his muscles feel much more relaxed. Best of luck with your health hamster!

thank you. I’m unusually well informed thanks to you and everyone here on the forum, and hours a day of health research that I’ve been doing now for about 4 years. Still a beginner quite honestly.

Well sir from what I remember your T is high especially for your age so you must be doing something right!

mbachiu

I have had a bit of chest acne, and also erections haven’t been as super top notch as usual. So I says to myself, I says, hey, maybe it’s all that milk. Maybe you should cut back on it.

So that’s my plan.

Close to zero starch.

A glass or two of milk a day

Some cheese

Most protein from meat/fish/skinless boneless poultry breast

The usual collagen

And T3 to get temps up to average 98.6 during the day, with a suitable ramp-up period.

Even with just the same amount of T3, roughly 25mcg a day, I hit 97.4 waking temps, and I’m at 98.6 or so during the day.

Perhaps getting off all that milk (2 liters a day) was a good idea.

Still have to see. Giving it a few weeks.
How are you feeling on the low/zero starch?

Inaut

I’m considering reducing milk consumption as well. Cystic acne on the forehead is pretty bad.....shame for me because it fills a ton of gaps nutritionally but....yea

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals