Peripheral Neuropathy, Rapidly Receding Gums + Bloods

Peatful

Rapidly receding gums? Low-dose doxycycline. It's used fairly widely in dermatology. And dentistry.

Just google "low-dose doxycycline + dermatology" and you'll find out a lot.
Hi
Doxycycline hyclate?
How low a dose, or range? And for how long?
Thx

Peatful

The doxycycline is a good antibiotic and I was prescribed that by a periodontist but only after I went through several of his cleaning methods.

Edit: And the doxycycline did not solve the receding gums.
Do you remember the mg? Length of treatment?
Thx again

Owen B

Hi
Doxycycline hyclate?
How low a dose, or range? And for how long?
Thx
Honestly can't remember but from what I've read, people are using 20 mgs twice a day, maybe 40 mgs once. You'd probably do OK with 20 mgs a day.

Peatful

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Peatful It was so long ago that I don't recall the form or dose. I do recall that it raised my stomach acid and my gerd was affected.

Peatful

OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

Thanks everyone. Please continue to post your thoughts.

@Dolomite I ate gelatin powder for a couple of years. I stopped partly due to endotoxin concerns that I read about gelatin powder, so I replaced it with casein+glycine because I thought that that would help me gain weight. Gelatin is no help with weight gain. I can add it back in though. I'm desperate.

MY PLAN:
Diet: Continue to stuff my pie hole with OJ, cheese, fruit and eggs. Plus some other stuff.
Supplements: Gelatin, Caffeine, MB applied to lower gums (problem area), NDT as needed to raise pulse

That's all I've got. I have more to research based on what you guys have posted. Thanks.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Philomath I think the gelatin is important for the food it provides to beneficial bacteria as well as the protein and glycine. I think milk also helps support beneficial bacteria.

Since estrogen is involved in many bad things I would be looking at how you may have caused it to elevate even if you don't think it is elevated. I was drinking one ounce of the broth from cooking white button mushrooms and I think it caused a rebound effect from inhibiting aromatase and elevated my estrogen. When I quit, it took a while to get rid of the estrogen symptoms. It was too strong for me.

shepherdgirl

Just some complete guesses here fwiw:
Could you have carotenemia? Do you have yellow or orange callouses? Have you tried cutting out the carrots (and cantaloupe, and other high-carotene foods) and using say bamboo shoots or well cooked white button mushrooms instead to clean the bowel? Ray says you can apparently make yourself hypo from too much carotene without enough B12/thyroid to convert it (ask me how I know!)

(Thanks @raypeatclips !!)
Well you are taking a lot of A- but why throw it away? You may still need some amount of it if carotene has mucked up vitamin A production - I am not sure about that though. Maybe it would make things worse.
Re: your gums - I know, I know, CO is supposed to clean them up and all. So if the problem is inflammation it could work. BUT. Recently I have been checking out Mike and John Mew's stuff on YouTube. They say that a lot of people have tongues too big for their palates, as well as improper tongue posture, and in this case the tongue actually pushes out on the teeth. They also think this poor posture contributes to bruxing, which is also apparently really bad for gums. It is possible to start bruxing while asleep and not realize it. Also I worry about swishing thick coconut oil forcefully around in the mouth for the same reason - it could put stress on the teeth and gums. I know i have poor posture because i actually get imprints of my teeth along the edge of my tongue ("scalloped" tongue), so I know it is pushing on my teeth. i am "mewing" to try to fix that.
Anyway, I am probably totally off base with these ideas, but I do hope you figure it out and feel better!!

OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

@shepherdgirl I don't have orange callouses, exactly. My toenails and toes tint orange depending on the severity of my neuropathy symptoms. I'm drastically reducing all forms of A because one of my theories is Vit A toxicity. I don't suspect any particular problems with carotene, although I do/did eat carrots a few times a week. I just think maybe I built up a large store of Vit A in my liver or elsewhere, and working in the sunlight all day is liberating it en masse. I really don't know though. I'm quite confused. I figure cutting out supplements can't hurt.

I already do some of the Mewing stuff, although I've been slacking lately due to the anxiety about my current health issues.

I actually pull with olive oil. I think it makes my gums look pinker, healthier, and less "infected." They still look so damn thin though. I'm hoping methylene blue + red light will encourage them to...grow back? Maybe?

Thank you for your well wishes. I wish the doctors at my local clinic were as smart as you guys.

TibRex

You might want to do grounding exercises - like walking BAREFOOTED on the grass or on sandy beach. This will help to bring the Prana down to the lower part of the body esp. to the feet. Include the Tree Asana, one of the yoga exercises, or the Horse Stance, the fundamental exercise in Taichi and Gongfu. All of these simple and straightforward exercises will help to bring the Prana down to the lower part of the body. Prana typically gets drawn up to the head/brain, owing to mental activities, the curse of our modern civilization.

You'll be surprised how fast you can get relief from numbness of the peripheral nerves by doing these exercises. It helps if you can include the famous Apan(a) Mudra while doing the Tree Asana. Apan Mudra can be done anytime - eg. while watching TV. It's best to do it in blocks of 15 minutes. A total of 45 minutes (3 blocks of 15 min) daily is recommended. It is an excellent exercise for diabetics.

You can also include a grounding mat if it's within your budget. One of my favorite exercises to tackle the irksome numbness is to visualize Prana moving out from the perineum and moving to the back of the knee, down the leg to the bottom of the foot. Hold the Prana there - middle spot of the sole - for a minute and then send it out (using your mind) to the toes. Push out the numbness with the Prana. Do the same for the other leg - you'll need to take it slow but the warm feeling of relief, etc. comes very fast and can last up to 1.5 days!! Once you get the hang of it, you can shortcut the process by just focusing on the middle spot of the sole immediately. Always keep in mind this famous occult teaching: energy follows thought.

Horse Stance:
horse stance - YouTube

Tree Asana:
tree asana - YouTube

Apan(a) Mudra:
apan mudra - YouTube

Last edited:
OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

So nice of you @shepherdgirl

I feel better. My extremities are significantly less numb, and it happens less often. No more orange tint in my toes.

I quit my job working outdoors. One doctor said the machinery that I was using was what was causing the numbness, though I don't believe that.

I cut out the vitamin A, even in most foods. No more carrots. I feel like the sun was making my numbness worse. I believe it might be a vitamin A/D interaction. I've been meaning to do an at-home Vit D test, although I'm not sure how instructive it would be if my problem really is vit A toxicity.

It also might be a pesticide/poor fruit thing. I feel like the grocery store brand concentrated OJ that I was drinking was making things worse. It's so hard to tell though. I'm very confused. My oral health continues to be a mess even tough I obsessively clean and rinse. I know the obsession probably doesn't help, but the gum recession is causing me a lot of anxiety. The recession on one tooth in particular is freaking me out.

At the apex of my issues about a month ago I had a rough night/day of constipation. Is it all gut connected? Am I eating bad non-organic fruit? Will going back to eating carrots heal my gut by cleaning it, or exacerbate some vitamin A problem? Dehydration? What? Diabetes? (blood tests say no, thankfully.)

I feel good psychologically--motivated. If my gums would magically grow back I would feel as good as I ever have. Granted, I'm sure I sound like a hypochondriac, but the prospect of periodontal surgery before the age of 30 scares me.

I don't have a good doctor. Whenever I go to the doctor, I just sit there and watch the google my symptoms. :hairpull

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I saw a nurse practitioner looking up something on the Internet, too. I work in a lab and we could all be doctors if we could order every test and rule everything out like many doctors.

That is too bad you had to quit your job outdoors but using motorized equipment for long periods can cause nerve problems.

Maybe vitamin C would help your gums and your gut. It might not work overnight but it might help. It isn't a recommended supplement but there are some good threads about it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It certainly can't hurt anything to test your vitamin D levels.

Travis

@shepherdgirl I don't have orange callouses, exactly. My toenails and toes tint orange depending on the severity of my neuropathy symptoms. I'm drastically reducing all forms of A because one of my theories is Vit A toxicity. I don't suspect any particular problems with carotene, although I do/did eat carrots a few times a week. I just think maybe I built up a large store of Vit A in my liver or elsewhere, and working in the sunlight all day is liberating it en masse. I really don't know though. I'm quite confused. I figure cutting out supplements can't hurt.

Vitamin A was my first bet, and had thought of it even before I'd seen the List of Supplements. This was because the enzyme responsible for cleaving carotenes into retinol/retinal is under reverse feedback from retinoic acid. This of course means that in a high retinoic acid state: carotenes are spared, their concentrations increase, and their strong absorptions in 400–550 nm range lends them an orange-reddish color that can be perceived on the skin. [Carotene colors may vary by type.]

Carotene ingestion is likely safer than retinol because its' cleavage is controlled. The enzyme β-carotene monooxygenase is a homeostatic enzyme regulating serum retinoic acid concentrations, an additional layer of protection bypassed when ingesting retinol. So almost paradoxically, equimolar amounts of β-carotene could lead to a less-orange skin color sooner despite the fact that it's physically oranger. [Yet, this could lead to an acute phase of cutaneous hyperorangosis.]

Orange color indicates carotene not cleaved, saving us from too much retinol. Logic might insist this is due to'a reduced activity of β, β-carotene 15, 15′-monooxygenase, perhaps transcriptionally-repressed by only thing shown to do so. Thus, the orange is our friend; embrace the orange.

Neutropenia is the second greatest risk factor for A. fumigatus and C. albicans infection right behind antibiotics, even ahead of prior corticosteroid use. Neutrophils are particularly effective at destroying yeast on account of soluble myeloperoxidase, an enzyme released that converts halides (Br⁻, Cl⁻, I⁻) into their corresponding hypohalites (BrO⁻, ClO⁻, IO⁻). These are all quite effective against microbes, yet it's the hypoiodite ion that is consistently-shown to be the most powerful. Neutrophil myeloperoxidase is the reason potassium iodide has been used clinically for infections, having nothing to do with the thyroid.

Last edited:
OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

I was following until that last paragraph.

Thanks for responding to my thread @Travis. Assuming I'm experiencing toxicity symptoms from supplemental A (not sure if i am), do you think beta carotene from fruits and vegetables are not likely to exacerbate the situation? I've been avoiding carrots, canteloupe, etc.

Travis

I was following until that last paragraph.

Thanks for responding to my thread @Travis. Assuming I'm experiencing toxicity symptoms from supplemental A (not sure if i am), do you think beta carotene from fruits and vegetables are not likely to exacerbate the situation? I've been avoiding carrots, canteloupe, etc.
Since I am under the assumption that carotene monoöxygenase enzymes are downregulated via excess retinoic acid, it follows that all carotenes should now have a lower vitamin A activity than previous due to less-efficient conversion. A corollary of that idea is that all carotenes should now have a more efficient skin-coloring activity. What hasn't been cleaved remains intact.

I don't think there are any natural metabolites which normally induce that characteristic skin color besides carotenes and bilirubin, the cause of jaundice. The absorbance spectra between these are similar enough to create skin tones so close that differential diagnosis requires examining the eyes:

Leonard, Joseph. "Carotenemia vs jaundice." JAMA (1976)

Due to their similarity, I'd suspect these the two conditions had been confounded in the past. Troublesome is that jaundice is a classic sign of hypervitaminosis A, meaning that most cases of carotenemia consequent of that condition would naturally be supposed jaundice. This retinol side-effect could be more common than supposed...

Last edited:

Jack Roe

Your diet sounds deficient in minerals, certainly copper, iron, molybdenum, zinc, off the top of my head.
Carrots 3-4 times a week is not anywhere near enough to have an accumulation of beta carotene.

Consider this:

Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids predict accelerated decline of peripheral nerve function in older persons
Pre-clinical studies suggest that both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids have beneficial effects on peripheral nerve function. Rats feed a diet rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) showed modification of phospholipid fatty acid composition in nerve membranes and improvement of sciatic nerve conduction velocity (NCV)....Low plasma omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids levels were associated with accelerated decline of peripheral nerve function with aging."
Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids predict accelerated decline of peripheral nerve function in older persons

If you're experiencing neuropathy, see a physician. But if you see a physician, be sure to tell the physician that you're eating a diet prescribed by an Internet Sensation!

From the article I suggested:

"We found that omega-6 fatty acids and marginally DHA were significantly associated with nerve peripheral parameters, independently of potential confounders. In particular, omega-6 fatty acids and linoleic acid was strongly and independently correlated with NCV in the cross-sectional analyzes. In longitudinal analyzes low total plasma PUFA levels, omega-6 fatty acids, arachidonic acid, docosahexanoic and the ratio omega-6/omega-3 predicted accelerated decline of peripheral nerve function over the 3-year follow-up."

That is, greater plasma concentraion of omega-6 meant better nerve conduction, lower concentration predicted accelerated peripheral nerve decline. However, as we all know, this is simply because these people didn't get enough zinc and B6! *eyeroll*