haidut

Forum Supporter
Peat has written many times on the link between periodontal disease, and endotoxin. He mentioned how a few dentists he knows stopped doing dental cleaning after they found that that giving their patients laxatives or antibiotics cured their gum disease. In addition, a few studies came out recently claiming a link between endotoxin/iron and a host of systemic issues, including neurodegenerative conditions like AD.
Endotoxin And Iron Finally Recognized As Potential Causes Of Many Diseases
Endotoxin (LPS) Theory Of Atherosclerosis (CVD)
Dementia Breakthrough - Alzheimer Disease Linked To Endotoxin And Iron

So, it appears the link between periodontal disease and chronic systemic diseases should be rather obvious. However, mainstream medicine continues to deny that such a link exists. This new study below may begin to change that view, as it discovered a strong link between periodontal disease and AD. The only drawback of the study is that is still looks at the issue as a local pathology - i.e. it is oral bacteria exposure only that caused AD. But, as I mentioned above, periodontal disease is a known result of intestinal inflammation and endotoxin. The sooner medicine starts looking at this as a systemic issue the sooner viable therapies will emerge. Charcoal, emodin, antibiotics, anti-serotonin drugs, etc are likely to become some of the most successful drugs in the near future, once medicine gets its act together.
Chronic oral application of a periodontal pathogen results in brain inflammation, neurodegeneration and amyloid beta production in wild type mice
Study: Periodontal disease may spur Alzheimer's

"...Exposure to periodontal bacteria may initiate Alzheimer's disease in humans based upon inflammation and degeneration of brain neurons in mice, according to a study. Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago studied the effects of periodontal disease, a common but preventable gum infection, with Alzheimer's, which currently has no treatment or cure. The findings were published Wednesday in PLOS One."

"..."This was a big surprise," corresponding author Dr. Keiko Watanabe, a professor of periodontics at the UIC College of Dentistry, said in a press release. "We did not expect that the periodontal pathogen would have this much influence on the brain, or that the effects would so thoroughly resemble Alzheimer's disease." Watanabe noted other studies found a close association between periodontitis and cognitive impairment, "but this is the first study to show that exposure to the periodontal bacteria results in the formation of senile plaques that accelerate the development of neuropathology found in Alzheimer's patients."

Fractality

I wonder if swallowing emodin is more or less effective than swishing emodin like a mouthwash?

Elephanto

Mouth swishing with Coconut Oil seems like a good idea, this reminds me I haven't done it in a long time. I also remember a cranberry extract supplement having one of the most rapid and noticeable ameliorating effect on general looks out of all the anti-Endotoxins strategies I've used. It is known to be particularly effective against oral biofilms.

Inhibitory effect of cranberry extract on periodontopathogenic biofilm: An integrative review

Exploring the role of cranberry polyphenols in periodontits: A brief review

Cranberry-derived proanthocyanidins prevent formation of Candida albicans biofilms in artificial urine through biofilm- and adherence-specific mechanisms

Incidentally, also effective for Iron chelation :
Iron chelation by cranberry juice and its impact on Escherichia coli growth. - PubMed - NCBI

Fractality

Mouth swishing with Coconut Oil seems like a good idea, this reminds me I haven't done it in a long time. I also remember a cranberry extract supplement having one of the most rapid and noticeable ameliorating effect on general looks out of all the anti-Endotoxins strategies I've used. It is known to be particularly effective against oral biofilms.

Inhibitory effect of cranberry extract on periodontopathogenic biofilm: An integrative review

Cranberry-derived proanthocyanidins prevent formation of Candida albicans biofilms in artificial urine through biofilm- and adherence-specific mechanisms

Iron chelation by cranberry juice and its impact on Escherichia coli growth. - PubMed - NCBI

Cool stuff, I also have an oil pulling mixture that I should get back to using regularly. I think xylitol/essential oil toothpastes can also help. I'm going to look at the cranberry juice at my specialty grocer.

Regina

How interesting about cranberry! Thx

Regina

Peat has written many times on the link between periodontal disease, and endotoxin. He mentioned how a few dentists he knows stopped doing dental cleaning after they found that that giving their patients laxatives or antibiotics cured their gum disease. In addition, a few studies came out recently claiming a link between endotoxin/iron and a host of systemic issues, including neurodegenerative conditions like AD.
Endotoxin And Iron Finally Recognized As Potential Causes Of Many Diseases
Endotoxin (LPS) Theory Of Atherosclerosis (CVD)
Dementia Breakthrough - Alzheimer Disease Linked To Endotoxin And Iron

So, it appears the link between periodontal disease and chronic systemic diseases should be rather obvious. However, mainstream medicine continues to deny that such a link exists. This new study below may begin to change that view, as it discovered a strong link between periodontal disease and AD. The only drawback of the study is that is still looks at the issue as a local pathology - i.e. it is oral bacteria exposure only that caused AD. But, as I mentioned above, periodontal disease is a known result of intestinal inflammation and endotoxin. The sooner medicine starts looking at this as a systemic issue the sooner viable therapies will emerge. Charcoal, emodin, antibiotics, anti-serotonin drugs, etc are likely to become some of the most successful drugs in the near future, once medicine gets its act together.
Chronic oral application of a periodontal pathogen results in brain inflammation, neurodegeneration and amyloid beta production in wild type mice
Study: Periodontal disease may spur Alzheimer's

"...Exposure to periodontal bacteria may initiate Alzheimer's disease in humans based upon inflammation and degeneration of brain neurons in mice, according to a study. Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago studied the effects of periodontal disease, a common but preventable gum infection, with Alzheimer's, which currently has no treatment or cure. The findings were published Wednesday in PLOS One."

"..."This was a big surprise," corresponding author Dr. Keiko Watanabe, a professor of periodontics at the UIC College of Dentistry, said in a press release. "We did not expect that the periodontal pathogen would have this much influence on the brain, or that the effects would so thoroughly resemble Alzheimer's disease." Watanabe noted other studies found a close association between periodontitis and cognitive impairment, "but this is the first study to show that exposure to the periodontal bacteria results in the formation of senile plaques that accelerate the development of neuropathology found in Alzheimer's patients."
Yep. My mom got peridontal disease late in life. Now, she has AD.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yep. My mom got peridontal disease late in life. Now, she has AD.
Sorry to hear that Regina. My mom had periodontal disease too fairly young at around 50 and lost all her teeth. She passed away just after she turned 69. She had chronic GI issues as well. No diagnosed AD but it perhaps she didn't live long enough for it to manifest.

Regina

Sorry to hear that Regina. My mom had periodontal disease too fairly young at around 50 and lost all her teeth. She passed away just after she turned 69. She had chronic GI issues as well. No diagnosed AD but it perhaps she didn't live long enough for it to manifest.
Sorry to learn about your Mom Blossom.
Yeah, I think my mom was pretty hip to knowing when something was a big problem.
She knew her lipofuscin was a huge flag but we thought it was just vanity and wanted her to stop obsessing on it. Our fault because she really wasn't a vain type; she was very natural. We would be like, "you look beautiful; don't worry about it." But she would say, "No. I know this is wrong."
When she got the peridontal, she had the same concern.

Fractality

My father had a dead tooth for many years and a few short years later after discovery/removal, was diagnosed with PSP which is another neurodegenerative disease.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Regina. It seems like oral health is vitally important.

Sorry about your Dad @Fractality.

I've been doing the Dr. Ellie oral care program that @achillea posted about since last winter hoping to avoid any potential problems. I'm getting close to the age my Mom was when she lost her teeth.

Regina

Thanks @Regina. It seems like oral health is vitally important.

Sorry about your Dad @Fractality.

I've been doing the Dr. Ellie oral care program that @achillea posted about since last winter hoping to avoid any potential problems. I'm getting close to the age my Mom was when she lost her teeth.
I'll check it out.
In other threads, haidut has said "Vitamin D, emodin, niacinamide, vitamin A, vitamin B2 are all TLR4 antagonists and drugs like ketotifen, cyproheptadine, naltrexone and minocycline are pharma chemicals with the same effects."
and "Any tetracyline should work. The 20mg twice a day may affect gut flora but it should be in a good way and it should not kill all bacteria. Peat himself say he uses 50mg 2-3 times a week to keep gut flora in check."
Tetracycline to reverse osteoporosis, tooth decay and peridontal disease...
And of course, my beloved kuinone. I had pain at the gum line of one of my upper molars last night. I squirted a couple of drops kuinone directly at the painful spot. The pain disappeared and is still gone.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'll check it out.
In other threads, haidut has said "Vitamin D, emodin, niacinamide, vitamin A, vitamin B2 are all TLR4 antagonists and drugs like ketotifen, cyproheptadine, naltrexone and minocycline are pharma chemicals with the same effects."
and "Any tetracyline should work. The 20mg twice a day may affect gut flora but it should be in a good way and it should not kill all bacteria. Peat himself say he uses 50mg 2-3 times a week to keep gut flora in check."
Tetracycline to reverse osteoporosis, tooth decay and peridontal disease...
And of course, my beloved kuinone. I had pain at the gum line of one of my upper molars last night. I squirted a couple of drops kuinone directly at the painful spot. The pain disappeared and is still gone.
Great thoughts Regina! I do most of those things too- 15 mg of HealthNatura K today! Here's another related thread.
Tetracycline To Reverse Osteoporosis, Tooth Decay And Periodontal Disease?
Not surprisingly my mom had severe osteoporosis too. My Dad and I noticed her gut swelled to the point of appearing 9 months pregnant within a couple hours of her passing while we waiting for the undertaker. All I could think was that she must have had a huge bacterial load. I've seen a lot of bodies in the immediate hours after death and not once have I seen a gut expanded that dramatically. It all seems interconnected to me.

Regina

Great thoughts Regina! I do most of those things too- 15 mg of HealthNatura K today! Here's another related thread.
Tetracycline To Reverse Osteoporosis, Tooth Decay And Periodontal Disease?
Not surprisingly my mom had severe osteoporosis too. My Dad and I noticed her gut swelled to the point of appearing 9 months pregnant within a couple hours of her passing while we waiting for the undertaker. All I could think was that she must have had a huge bacterial load. I've seen a lot of bodies in the immediate hours after death and not once have I seen a gut expanded that dramatically. It all seems interconnected to me.
Wow!! :( Defnitely all interconnected.

Lynne

Thanks Blossom, I just looked up Dr Ellie and listened to the One Radio interview, mpressive! I'm gonna give a few of the recs a go and might give up annual dental cleans. No way am I'm gonna start using regular toothpaste again though. I might try brushing with with soap, etc, as per Dr Gerald Judd... (Fix Your Teeth, Dr. Gerard Judd)

Last edited:

Peater Piper

Hasn't the link between periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease been mainstream knowledge for close to a decade now? I know my dentist has had posters up for nearly that long explaining the link, trying to scare people into taking care of their teeth. Given the link between cardiovascular health and brain health, this should be an easy finding for people to accept.

Herbie

I got cut off by a BMW driver with the gold number plate ‘dentist’ even more motivation to take care of the teeth and not facilitate these vulgar characters in society.

yerrag

My mom had periodontal disease too fairly young at around 50 and lost all her teeth. She passed away just after she turned 69. She had chronic GI issues as well. No diagnosed AD but it perhaps she didn't live long enough for it to manifest.
Not being facetious or insensitive Blossom but consider also that losing all teeth meant that there are no more crevices for bacteria to grow and turn into a colony. Both my mom and dad lost their teeth, although I haven't kept track when, but my dad lived to 96, and my mom to 92. I elected to have a tooth removed as there was a pocket that resulted from a periodontal disease. I was willing to lose a tooth than risk having a recurring bacterial problem in that crevice. When the tooth was pulled out, my dentist showed me a large piece of what looked like flesh about the size of a 1 cm ball. I thought he pulled out a big chunk of flesh, and was horrified. I was relieved it wasn't, only to regain back the feeling when he told me that was a large colony of bacteria. Was I glad I had that tooth pulled out.

Lynne

Both my mom and dad lost their teeth, although I haven't kept track when, but my dad lived to 96, and my mom to 92.

Interesting Yerrang, I hadn't thought about this but my Mom had all her teeth pulled out sometime around her late teens (I think) and is still going (touch wood) at 92. My father had his own teeth but quite a few amalgams, had his first heart attack at 59 and died from his second one at 69.

yerrag

Interesting Yerrang, I hadn't thought about this but my Mom had all her teeth pulled out sometime around her late teens (I think) and is still going (touch wood) at 92. My father had his own teeth but quite a few amalgams, had his first heart attack at 59 and died from his second one at 69.

It would be nice to have a full set of teeth. If I take consistently good care of my teeth, I wouldn't have periodontal disease. But once I got periodontal disease, having a full set of teeth becomes less important. Many people are not aware of the risk. After having periodontal disease, the gum that serves as a barrier for bacteria to sneak into crevices has been breached. You may use water picks and all sorts of equipment to clean the crevice, but soon enough you'll realize it's a losing battle. You can't outpersevere bacteria. They will keep going back, and they will quickly establish a colony. This colony is hidden, and even with xrays, dentists have difficulty identifying them. My dentist couldn't. He just told me it's my decision. It doesn't help that dentists are somehow barred from suggesting anything that could be construed as encouraging a patient to undergo surgery or tooth removal, or dental amalgam removal.

I understand how insidious these bacteria are, and how their their toxins as well as liposaccharides can get into the blood stream and wreak havoc. I knew then that it could form plaques in blood vessels. Now we're finding out that it could also play a part in AD. I would recall chuckling to myself how people who have lost their teeth underappreciate how much healthier they would become compared to their teethed peers. Many people elect to keep all their teeth, not realizing how much of their health they are trading for their health.

Incidentally, on the subject of AD, I think that UTI is more insidious. Most elderly people will develop urinary incontinence, and this produces conditions that favor UTI. They are often prescribed fluoroquinolone antibiotics. A time will come when the effects on the brain and nervous system will creep up. Not only do they develop Alzheimer, they also lose their ability to chew, and eventually they have to use PEGs to eat.

Last edited:

Lynne

It would be nice to have a full set of teeth. If I take consistently good care of my teeth, I wouldn't have periodontal disease. But once I got periodontal disease, having a full set of teeth becomes less important. Many people are not aware of the risk. After having periodontal disease, the gum that serves as a barrier for bacteria to sneak into crevices has been breached. You may use water picks and all sorts of equipment to clean the crevice, but soon enough you'll realize it's a losing battle. You can't outpersevere bacteria. They will keep going back, and they will quickly establish a colony. This colony is hidden, and even with xrays, dentists have difficulty identifying them. My dentist couldn't. He just told me it's my decision. It doesn't help that dentists are somehow barred from suggesting anything that could be construed as encouraging a patient to undergo surgery or tooth removal, or dental amalgam removal.

I understand how insidious these bacteria are, and how they could their toxins as well as liposaccharides can get into the blood stream and wreak havoc. I knew then that it could form plaques in blood vessels. Now we're finding out that it could also play a part in AD. I would recall chuckling to myself how people who have lost their teeth underappreciate how much healthier they would become compared to their teethed peers. Many people elect to keep all their teeth, not realizing how much of their health they are trading for their health.

Good to know, and fingers crossed that it's a decision I never have to make...