Periodic severe 'metabolic'(?) problem

Mellow

If possible I wanted to ask people's thoughts, opinions, suggestions...

For basically decades my mother has suffered a recurring problem that seems metabolic, and is absolutely debilitating when it occurs. She can be fine for months, even years, but suddenly gets heart racing, shakiness, feeling weak, low body temperature, nausea - which affect her for hours or days until she recovers. Bowel movement can be one of the things which can help recovery to be quicker, but in general it seems to be 'wait it out'.

She also mentions unusual symptoms sometimes around these episodes, such as she may often get a feeling of water running down her nose just when one of these episodes is going to start. Another strange one is that she far more frequently gets electric shocks off anything metal during such times.

It seems to be 'something' knocking her sympathetic / parasympathetic out of whack, and I've long thought she's had a physical problem wih her vagus nerve (when she was at school she had an accident on a vaulting horse which certainly damaged her neck - although she recovered I've always wondered if that has caused an issue which sometimes can compress or interfere with her vagus nerve as it passes through the vertebrae, and trigger those episodes).

Those symptoms were once triggered by an osteopath working on her back, and again by a reflexologist working on her feet (in the area associated with her back), so there seems 'something' physically wrong.

Most recently she was suggested to get a cortisone injection to help reduce some knee inflammation, and...wow. It has completely knocked her fir six, it's been two weeks to try and get back to normal.

So cortisone injection triggering massively may support that it's an issue with nervous system balance...but what to do?

In the past I've suggested trying things to boost metabolism / help settle down nervous system, so warm bath, fruit juice, meditation, those kind of things, but they don't help. If cortison can be a trigger, could an antagonist perhaps be helpful? Progesterone?

Any suggestions helpful. She's seen many many doctors, who have come up with basically nothing, so looking around for any ideas she could try, or if anyone has experienced anything like this?

Many thanks

karw

What is her weight/bmi?

Maybe slightly insulin resistant.

Maybe food reaction to typical salicylates, histamine and oxalate load up.

Try cutting out certain foods and eat plain simple foods such as less reactive foods as brown rice and meat for a while only.

OP
M

Mellow

Many thanks for thoughts. Her weight is about 50kg, very appropriate for her height. During that time she's had several blood tests, none of which indicated any issue with blood sugar control. Plus these incidents are so random and often hugely far apart that it feels hard to fathom a sugar issue or a food sensitivity. Not saying that's not it, but I've not been able to pin anything like that down.
I will think again about any kind of elimination she could try, but a huge challenge with that is the long times that can go between any episode (can be a year or more), which makes it hard to know anything is working! :):

karw

Here I am thinking
-Food intolerance = from heart-racing shakiness, feeling weak, runny nose
-Thyroid issues = low body temperature, nausea, electric shocks
-Bowel movement = food intolerance can cause issues in the gut which affects the "vagus nerve", which can affect all sorts of organs, also turning on and off the para/symp nervous system and if she feels better after bowel movement high chance of gut issues.

For joints, short term high d3 +20-40k iu +5-45 mg k2 (mk4), magnesium, 12 mg boron, zinc

karw

Here I am thinking
-Food intolerance = from heart-racing shakiness, feeling weak, runny nose
-Thyroid issues = low body temperature, nausea, electric shocks (typically from dry skin = low body temp)
-Bowel movement = food intolerance can cause issues in the gut which affects the "vagus nerve", which can affect all sorts of organs, also turning on and off the para/symp nervous system and if she feels better after bowel movement high chance of gut issues.

For joints, short term high d3 +20-40k iu +5-45 mg k2 (mk4), magnesium, 12 mg boron, zinc

aliml

She also mentions unusual symptoms sometimes around these episodes, such as she may often get a feeling of water running down her nose just when one of these episodes is going to start. Another strange one is that she far more frequently gets electric shocks off anything metal during such times.
Runny nose may be a sign of a gallbladder disease!

OP
M

Mellow

Thanks. She doesn't actually get a runny nose, it's only the sensation of water (liquid) running from the top/centre of her forehead. She doesn't actually 'physically' have anything. Strange indeed!