Perfect soy sauce dupe

fever257

Coconut aminos are a great alternative to soy sauce. I know a lot of people use Bragg's Liquid aminos, but i think coconut aminos taste more similar to soy sauce than liquid aminos do.

Anyway, I don't even need to go over the dangers of soy - like its goitrogenic, estrogenic, and inflammatory properties - because I'm sure most Peaters already know.

The only main drawback to coconut aminos are that they're a little pricey, but the bottle lasts for a while, so it ends up working out.

In my opinion, spices & sauces are two really important factors in making the Peat diet palatable, enjoyable, and dynamic, so I hope this helps some out.

fr@

Yeah, I use that too -- especially for this popular Filipino Dish called Adobo.

As with Bragg's Liquid Aminos, the taste is better but I get bloated (and I'm like "why?").

Last edited:

Sumbody

As I have understood, the fermentation of traditionally brewed soy sauce reduces the harmful compounds in the soy used to produce it.

fr@

As I have understood, the fermentation of traditionally brewed soy sauce reduces the harmful compounds in the soy used to produce it.

Ah, so is that the reason why Kyle Mamounis used Kikoman in his video (or is it just for laughs)?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUc9fWnyy3I

[Cool vid though, haha.]

rzero

This. My understanding are those "aminos" products are raw industrially produced amino acids combined together with heat and acid, creating similar compounds to natural fermentation, hence the similar taste. Is this really better than traditionally brewed soy sauce or tamari?

Sumbody

This. My understanding are those "aminos" products are raw industrially produced amino acids combined together with heat and acid, creating similar compounds to natural fermentation, hence the similar taste. Is this really better than traditionally brewed soy sauce or tamari?
I really don't know much about the OP's comments on aminos. But I enjoy soy sauce from time to time.

OP
fever257

fever257

@rzero well, coconut aminos are just fermented coconut tree sap. So to my knowledge, it is naturally fermented. I agree with @Peopleface comment about fermentation reducing the harmful compounds of soy, and asian cultures traditionally would never consume soy raw, but I still think the fermented version of soy is inflammatory, anti thyroid, and estrogenic.

I

i_nomad

There’s a quote from Ray floating around somewhere about Soy Sauce being ok in moderate amounts.

:M :B.

I think coconut aminos are boiled after fermentation. Not sure for how long. It's very dark which might be concerning. I wonder if it produces toxic compounds like ray talked about when aminos and sugars are heated. Like maple syrup.