Perfect Bread Option For You

chrismeyers

So this one is widely distributed at least in the Seattle area and checks all of the proper boxes.

Sliced Fremont Sour White - Essential Baking Company

No yeast, a real aged sourdough, organic, no added fats, no added sugar. Basically a perfect white bread. I buy this on occasion and zero digestian problems as expected from a sourdough made like this. I dont do bread very often simply because it isnt necessary on a Peaty diet but this one is there as a rock solid PUFA free option.

OP
C

chrismeyers

Awesome. Is yeast an issue normally?

Well I think basically, yeast breads are made with yeast because its really fast to process and produce bread like that. But the thing is, from what I understand, quick bread like that has way more phytates than traditionally prepared sourdough culture bread. So its not necessarily that yeast doesnt agree with me but that yeasted bread is typically produced wrong.

miki14

Sourdough makes feel sick after a while, I never have problems with bread processed with yeast. Just my 2 cents.

I have been making bread again. Using tiny amount of yeast and letting it go for 12 - 24 hours before making it. But recently I realized I'm using flour loaded with crap such as iron and folic acid.

In the US you can buy organic white flour (Bob's Red Mill for instance) without any fortification. Other flours that are organic may still be fortified, but Bob's Red Mill is not.

So I am getting some of that.

Dave Clark

A good source of sprouted flours and grains is a company called To Your Health. Peat agrees that sprouting helps eliminate the anti-nutrients, or gut irritants like phytic acid. Also, if you are using sourdough, you are essentially using yeast, that is what sourdough culture really is, a natural yeast. In my opinion, I don't think there is anything wrong with yeast, it is the grain that one needs to get right, organic whole grain, sprouted, freshly ground (so no oxidised PUFAs), coconut oil or butter, clean water, etc.

A good source of sprouted flours and grains is a company called To Your Health. Peat agrees that sprouting helps eliminate the anti-nutrients, or gut irritants like phytic acid. Also, if you are using sourdough, you are essentially using yeast, that is what sourdough culture really is, a natural yeast. In my opinion, I don't think there is anything wrong with yeast, it is the grain that one needs to get right, organic whole grain, sprouted, freshly ground (so no oxidised PUFAs), coconut oil or butter, clean water, etc.

Peat says prolonged soaking fixes a lot of anti nutrients. I agree. I don't notice any problems with my own yeast bread. It's been soaking and fermenting over many hours. There are enzymes in the flour that activate with soaking and digest away a lot of the baddies.

tara

I'm still slow leavening with regular super market yeast for 18-24 hours, white unbleached wheat flour, only my own additives of salt and fine calcium carbonate powder. No obvious gut distress or other obvious downsides if I eat a little. Don't feel great if I eat lots. I'm guessing my mineral balance prefers I eat more roots and fruits, and don't rely too much on grain.

Lyla

I have been making bread again. Using tiny amount of yeast and letting it go for 12 - 24 hours before making it. But recently I realized I'm using flour loaded with crap such as iron and folic acid.

In the US you can buy organic white flour (Bob's Red Mill for instance) without any fortification. Other flours that are organic may still be fortified, but Bob's Red Mill is not.

So I am getting some of that.

I think Ray has said that the yeast is estrogenic. I can't remember where I heard it, during one of the Herb Doctors shows maybe.

Wilfrid

I was recently in London and bought a sourdough bread from modern baker.
They are making their sourdough with a 48 hours process with adding a little fresh organic rye flour to it ( I think to degrade phytic acid a little further during the bread's leavening but I'm not sure on this one...) and organic fresh stone ground flour.
I found their " super spelt sourdough " very very good ( it goes nicely with cheddar and kerrygold butter..... )

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals