Perchlorate Water Contamination A Reason To Supplement With Iodine ?

burtlancast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchlorate

"Perchlorate is a potent competitive inhibitor of the thyroid sodium-iodide symporter.[48] Thus, it has been used to treat hyperthyroidism since the 1950s.[49] At very high doses (70,000–300,000 ppb) the administration of potassium perchlorate was considered the standard of care in the United States, and remains the approved pharmacologic intervention for many countries.

In large amounts perchlorate interferes with iodine uptake into the thyroid gland.

in January 2008, California's Department of Toxic Substances Control stated that perchlorate is becoming a serious threat to human health and water resources.

A study involving healthy adult volunteers determined that at levels above 0.007 milligrams per kilogram per day (mg/(kg·d)), perchlorate can temporarily inhibit the thyroid gland's ability to absorb iodine from the bloodstream ("iodide uptake inhibition", thus perchlorate is a known goitrogen).[55] The EPA converted this dose into a reference dose of 0.0007 mg/(kg·d) by dividing this level by the standard intraspecies uncertainty factor of 10. The agency then calculated a "drinking water equivalent level" of 24.5 ppb by assuming a person weighs 70 kilograms (154 pounds) and consumes 2 liters (68 ounces) of drinking water per day over a lifetime.[56]"

At a 2013 presentation of a previously unpublished study, it was suggested that environmental exposure to perchlorate in pregnant women with hypothyroidism may be associated with significant risk of low IQ in their children.[60]

In February 2008, U.S. Food and Drug Administration said that U.S. toddlers on average are being exposed to more than half of the U.S. EPA's safe dose from food alone.[65] In March 2009, a Centers for Disease Control study found 15 brands of infant formula contaminated with perchlorate. Combined with existing perchlorate drinking water contamination, infants could be at risk for exposure to perchlorate above the levels considered safe by E.P.A.[66]

Parsifal

burtlancast said:
post 92616 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchlorate

"Perchlorate is a potent competitive inhibitor of the thyroid sodium-iodide symporter.[48] Thus, it has been used to treat hyperthyroidism since the 1950s.[49] At very high doses (70,000–300,000 ppb) the administration of potassium perchlorate was considered the standard of care in the United States, and remains the approved pharmacologic intervention for many countries.

In large amounts perchlorate interferes with iodine uptake into the thyroid gland.

Do you supplement with iodine? I remember reading Peat saying that too much iodine can inhibit thyroid as well and that people rarely lack iodine nowadays, goiters are very rare. Maybe eating shellfish will be enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

From your link:

Perchlorate contaminates more than 350 drinking water sources in California alone. Nationally, perchlorate contamination of drinking water has been confirmed by testing in 22 states. Among contaminated sources is the Colorado River, which not only provides drinking water for Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas and other cities, but also irrigates 1.4 million acres of farmland in California and Arizona. Many crop and feed plants, including lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and alfalfa, concentrate perchlorate in their tissues when grown with contaminated water. This perchlorate, in turn, can be passed along in cows' (or human's) milk.

In March, California health officials adopted a public health goal for perchlorate of 6 parts per billion (ppb) in a liter of drinking water. (A public health goal is the level used to set an enforceable state drinking water standard, expected later this year.) But the EPA's most recent provisional daily safe dose (RfD, for reference dose) is 1 ppb - the same level as a final risk assessment released last month by Massachusetts state scientists.

The average perchlorate level in milk tested by the state, 5.8 ppb, is essentially the same as the maximum safe level of the just-adopted public health goal.

Entropy

Add the other competitors fluoride, bromine, chlorine.. Maybe we should supplement iodine..

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Seems as well leafy vegetables (especially lettuce) grown hydroponically accumulate perchlorate much higher than when grown in soil.
"Q. Is it safe to eat fruits and vegetables watered with perchlorate-tainted water?

A. Greg Van Wassenhove, director of the county's agriculture department, says there are some studies that show perchlorate concentrates in leafy vegetables such as lettuce. Close review of the studies show that some of the study vegetables were grown hydroponically – completely in water-based nutrient solutions – rather than in soil.".
http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/comm ... f75ff.html

And animals like cows and goats metabolise ingested perchlorate much better than lactating mothers do.

Our data also show that in ruminants the mammary gland is
a major source of perchlorate elimination relative to urine and
feces. However, in contrast to humans, ruminants extensively
metabolize perchlorate to chloride ion prior to elimination in
milk or urine or retention into the endogenous chloride pool.

Tissue Distribution, Elimination, and Metabolism of Sodium [
<sup>36</sup>Cl]Perchlorate in Lactating Goats

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Giraffe said:
post 98713
Entropy said:
post 98701 Add the other competitors fluoride, bromine, chlorine.. Maybe we should supplement iodine..
In the US iodine in milk averages 23 μg/100 g; so one liter milk equats 153 % RDI. Another rich source of iodine is eggs.

Iodine Concentrations in US Milk: Variation Due to Time, Season, and Region

Your article dates from 1990.

My quote comes from an article published around 2008 onwards;
Our research on iodide levels in human milk indicates American women may not be getting enough iodide to meet their infants' needs. Most US milk samples we have analyzed do not contain enough iodide to meet Institute of Medicine (IOM)-recommended intake levels for infants.

And milk contamination with perchlorate was first discovered in 2004 in the USA.

Giraffe

burtlancast said:
post 98824 My quote comes from an article published around 2008 onwards;
I noted that the data I linked were not very fresh. I checked nutritiondata.com, but it didn't list iodine content of milk. An article from 2011 - Iodine - Fact Sheet for Health Professionals - seemed consistent with the article I linked as far as the iodine content of milk is concerned (1 cup = 56 mcg). I did not digger any deeper. Maybe someone from the US knows about recent tests?

Our research on iodide levels in human milk indicates American women may not be getting enough iodide to meet their infants' needs. Most US milk samples we have analyzed do not contain enough iodide to meet Institute of Medicine (IOM)-recommended intake levels for infants.
How many nursing mothers drink a liter milk and eat eggs daily? These foods are largely demonized in society. Too much cholesterol! Animal fats are harmful! Milk causes allergies! Animals are suffering to serve us as food!

This is raypeatforum. For most here dairy products and eggs are staple foods. The majority relies on commercial products. If the animal feed is fortified with iodine, we do supplement iodine nolens volens.

For people in Europe: We recently discussed iodine supplementation in another threat.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Giraffe said:
If the animal feed is fortified with iodine, we do supplement iodine nolens volens.

Well, perhaps the mothers do ingest enough iodine from cow milk or eggs, but the article seems to suggest that perchlorate will lower both thyroid synthesis in the mother as well as her ability to excrete some iodine in her milk, while the perchlorate finds his way there.

The solution would be to supplement the child with iodine without giving him at the same time perchlorate.

Parsifal

Maybe it's time to ask Ray what he thinks about that? I've been wondering a lot of things about this topic as well...

Parsifal

burtlancast said:
Well, perhaps the mothers do ingest enough iodine from cow milk or eggs, but the article seems to suggest that perchlorate will lower both thyroid synthesis in the mother as well as her ability to excrete some iodine in her milk, while the perchlorate finds his way there.

The solution would be to supplement the child with iodine without giving him at the same time perchlorate.
Are you supplementing with iodine burt and other people? How do you feel in that case? How is your blood test?

montmorency

Parsifal said:
post 100733
burtlancast said:

Are you supplementing with iodine burt and other people? How do you feel in that case? How is your blood test?

Yes, since even by official measures, UK is iodine (and selenium) deficient (I'm also taking the co-factors, but get my vitamin A from liver and eggs). Also, salt here is not generally iodised.
I don't feel much different, to be honest. Not had a blood test.
We are fortunate that most of us (including me) don't have our water fluoridised, and we personally don't have any new furnishings or a new car, so maybe we aren't getting too much bromine that way. The water does have chlorine though, and I drink it, and it's unfiltered, so that's one source of halogens. But so far, I've not noticed any "detox" symptoms.

One reason I'm supplementing is (hopefully) as a prophylactic against prostate cancer (and benign prostate growth). I'm getting to the age where that's a more imminent threat. cf. Dr David Derry.

Parsifal

Won't you get a goiter if you are really defficient in iodine or is it more subtle than that?

Is there scientific proof that these toxins are stored in tissues?

How much of these toxins on average do we absorb in our body/day and how much iodine do we need to detox these? Is there a proof that at these doses the iodine doesn't shut down the thyroid but detox the bad things?
The problem would be if it increases TSH and other pituitary hormones I guess?

Are some people here taking iodine and how do you feel?