Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth Without Toxic Signs

David PS

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25584150 Free PMC Article

Abstract
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a plant native to Europe and has been widely used as a carminative and gastric stimulant worldwide. This plant also has been used in cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component and skin conditioning agent. This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil onhair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth. ALP activity and IGF-1 expression also significantly increased in PEO group. Body weight gain and food efficiency were not significantly different between groups. These results suggest that PEO induces a rapid anagen stage and could be used for a practical agent for hair growth without change of body weight gain and food efficiency.

Attachments

• toxicr-30-297-g0006.jpg
    toxicr-30-297-g0006.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 149

Dan W

Wow, pretty impressive effects. But I wonder about peppermint oil from a Peat-ey perspective given it's supposedly packed with phytoestrogens. And they mention in the study that the oil's menthol content might be a penetration enhancer, so I wonder if it could have any systemic effects.

sladerunner69

I thought peppermint oil was a well-known DHT inhibitor. Probably not the route you would want to take even to save hair.

nograde

Years ago I was heavily experimenting with almost all methods being discussed on those hairloss forums. From all the stuff tested drinking lots of peppermint tea had the most impressive effect giving me lots of new sprouting hairs in my temples after a few weeks. I had to give up however because peppermint also obliterated my libido. Its very potent at that and I think could easily be used as chemical castration agent in men. In some cultures peppermint is being used by women for controlling hirsutism.

TheHound

Years ago I was heavily experimenting with almost all methods being discussed on those hairloss forums. From all the stuff tested drinking lots of peppermint tea had the most impressive effect giving me lots of new sprouting hairs in my temples after a few weeks. I had to give up however because peppermint also obliterated my libido. Its very potent at that and I think could easily be used as chemical castration agent in men. In some cultures peppermint is being used by women for controlling hirsutism.

would the fairly small dose of peppermint oil required for this have an effect on dht though? supposedly you only need to massage 1-2 drops on your scalp it seems

OP
David PS

David PS

I thought this was neat. It was very easy; but it just did not work.

I cannot remember if it had any effect on my libido at the time. However, there have been no lasting effects in that regard either.

This was just another dead end.

TubZy

I would not touch that stuff with a ten foot pole and also lavender too is just as bad (also tea tree oil). All very estrogenic.

sladerunner69

I would not touch that stuff with a ten foot pole and also lavender too is just as bad (also tea tree oil). All very estrogenic.

I was unaware of tea tree oil being estrogenic. I sometimes use natural toothpaste brands that have it as a primary ingredient! Where did he read about that or did you figure that out through personal experience?

LeeLemonoil

It's just a myth that essential oils are estrogenic. It's astonishing that they are debunked that easily among Peaters, they are part of the fatty membranes in plants that actualy prevents oxidation, harmful infections and so forth ...

TubZy

I was unaware of tea tree oil being estrogenic. I sometimes use natural toothpaste brands that have it as a primary ingredient! Where did he read about that or did you figure that out through personal experience?

Lavender and Tea Tree Oils May Cause Breast Growth in Boys

The results of our laboratory studies confirm that pure lavender and tea tree oils can mimic the actions of estrogens and inhibit the effects of androgens,” said Korach. “This combinatorial activity makes them somewhat unique as endocrine disruptors.”

LeeLemonoil

Lavender and Tea Tree Oils May Cause Breast Growth in Boys

The results of our laboratory studies confirm that pure lavender and tea tree oils can mimic the actions of estrogens and inhibit the effects of androgens,” said Korach. “This combinatorial activity makes them somewhat unique as endocrine disruptors.”

These are not studies, but case reports that circulate in the www a long time. They have been debunked thouroughly many times:
https://naha.org/naha-blog/neither-...ee-oil-can-be-linked-to-breast-growth-in-you/

The constituents of many essential oils were analyzed in depth - I'm not aware that terpenoids, or their ketones and esters are classified as phytoestrogens in any
serious literature. The perfume industry diligently tests their aromachmeicals for estrogenic activity, and while many synthetic musks and sandalwood analouges ar estrogenic, EO's are not.
Some on the other hand claim Testosterone benefits form some EO's:
Essential Oils: Increased Testosterone By Over 100% In 4 Weeks

TubZy

These are not studies, but case reports that circulate in the www a long time. They have been debunked thouroughly many times:
https://naha.org/naha-blog/neither-...ee-oil-can-be-linked-to-breast-growth-in-you/

The constituents of many essential oils were analyzed in depth - I'm not aware that terpenoids, or their ketones and esters are classified as phytoestrogens in any
serious literature. The perfume industry diligently tests their aromachmeicals for estrogenic activity, and while many synthetic musks and sandalwood analouges ar estrogenic, EO's are not.
Some on the other hand claim Testosterone benefits form some EO's:
Essential Oils: Increased Testosterone By Over 100% In 4 Weeks

I'm still skeptical as I read about tea tree oil a long time ago on HLT where many people in that this thread have had estrogenic effects.

Lavender, Tea Tree both found to BLOCK the androgen receptor

That link you posted on EO increasing testoserone is very sketchy. It a testimonial for a product by one guy saying he increased his testosterone by 100% with no mention to the reference through which mechanism. How do you know the increase in testosterone is not from EO's inhibiting 5AR/DHT?

Saw palmetto increases testosterone but doesn't make it a good thing if it's inhibiting DHT.

Here is a study of tea tree oil and lavender being effective for treating hirsutism in women. Body growth hair is androgen related so the fact that is can reduce body hair growth suggest that it does have some sort of anti androgenic effect.

Possible efficacy of Lavender and Tea tree oils in the treatment of young women affected by mild idiopathic hirsutism. - PubMed - NCBI

CONCLUSIONS:
Lavender and Tea tree oils applied locally on skin could be effective in reducing mild IH; this treatment could represent a safe, economic and practical instrument in the cure of this disease.

Hirsutism can result from excess male hormones, called androgens. This may occur with certain medical conditions. It may also be inherited.

LeeLemonoil

First, I don't agree with the Testosterone/Spruce oil stuyd. I just posted it to show that there are random, unproven claims about hormonal effects of EO's - just as random and unfounded, even debunked as the Tea Tree/Lavender Gymno connection.

Second, it would be good if you actualy read the articles you post in favour of your notions.
They write that no hormonal changes could be measured in the group of women treated with the EO's for hirsutism.
The are many conceivable mechanisms by which this therapeutic effect of the EO's could have been achieved, estrogenic hormonal changes are provenly not one of them. "Hirsutism can result from excess male hormones" ...that is what you base your conclusion on that TT and Lavender are estrogenic or antiadrogenic?
That's highly speculative and does not constitute any evidence. It is feasible that some components of the EO's act on eiher estrogen or androgen receptors and thereby help with hirsutism. In no way is that tatamount to them being estrogenic.
There are 2 estrogen receptors and many more similar protein structures in different cells that are very likely further estrogen receptors not yet classified. You do realize that DHEA and some Testosterone and DHT - metabolites also bind to them, without any estrogenic effects?

Dante

. You do realize that DHEA and some Testosterone and DHT - metabolites also bind to them, without any estrogenic effects?
Yeah, @haidut once said that women with hirutism were treated with DHT. How weird is that ? Being treated with the same thing that actually causes the condition.
@LeeLemonoil , you claim that 3-beta diol is strong androgen even if it binds to ER-beta . What makes you think so ? It's also greatly possible that 3-beta diol keeps high grade prostate cancer in check which fin can cause( but they have reupdated PCPT trial data to say that better detection lead to high grade cancer)

TubZy

First, I don't agree with the Testosterone/Spruce oil stuyd. I just posted it to show that there are random, unproven claims about hormonal effects of EO's - just as random and unfounded, even debunked as the Tea Tree/Lavender Gymno connection.

Second, it would be good if you actualy read the articles you post in favour of your notions.
They write that no hormonal changes could be measured in the group of women treated with the EO's for hirsutism.
The are many conceivable mechanisms by which this therapeutic effect of the EO's could have been achieved, estrogenic hormonal changes are provenly not one of them. "Hirsutism can result from excess male hormones" ...that is what you base your conclusion on that TT and Lavender are estrogenic or antiadrogenic?
That's highly speculative and does not constitute any evidence. It is feasible that some components of the EO's act on eiher estrogen or androgen receptors and thereby help with hirsutism. In no way is that tatamount to them being estrogenic.
There are 2 estrogen receptors and many more similar protein structures in different cells that are very likely further estrogen receptors not yet classified. You do realize that DHEA and some Testosterone and DHT - metabolites also bind to them, without any estrogenic effects?

Where did I mention anything about hormone changes from the study? Please point that out because I don't see it from the above post where I mentioned the study. Anti androgenic effect doesn't just refer to "hormone" changes only.

You clearly don't understand the difference between receptor and circulating hormone. I'm referring to the receptor in the study.

Do me a favor and google RU58841. Then google RU58841 side effects and have fun reading all the reports.

It blocks the androgen receptor and will stop your hair loss in its tracks. It does NOT effect circulating hormone levels like T, DHT and estrogen, but it produces bad anti androgenic side effects because T and DHT can't bind to the receptor. So what does that do? It makes the receptor more available to estrogen. Once estrogen binds to it, it is going to exhibit estrogenic effects obviously.

That is why CB-03-01 is in development because it is supposed to be like RU except without the anti androgenic effects as it quickly converts to cortisol once it interacts with the enzymes in the skin.

I know this from first hand experience because I used RU for a year and got anti androgenic side effects along with many many others of users. I also had my testosterone and hormones checked while on it and guess what my test was 800 and estrogen was perfectly normal range.

So tea tree oil looks like it could act in a similar way based on the study.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yeah, @haidut once said that women with hirutism were treated with DHT. How weird is that ? Being treated with the same thing that actually causes the condition.

They were treated with androsterone - 50mg - 150mg daily by buccal route, so I am guessing similar to sublingual.
Buccal androsterone therapy of hirsutism: a preliminary report. - PubMed - NCBI

Not as shocking as treatment with DHT but still pretty close given that androsterone is also being blamed for hirsutism. The study about reversing liver cirrhosis with testosterone and thiamine said the same thing - that DHT should be used in women instead of testosterone because (counterintuitively) DHT had a lot less virilizing effects on women than T did. So, it seems the virilizing effects need estrogen and strong non-aromatizable androgens like DHT and androsterone do not have as high risk virilization/hirsutism.

Last edited: